Anyone else publishing?

FAQs, Guidelines and other general disucssions concerning writing-open to all board membership.
treegod
OBOD Druid

Re: Anyone else publishing?

Post by treegod »

Duellist wrote:
treegod wrote:From what I see most publishing is done by submitting a Pdf, but I have no idea how to use a pdf, except reading it. Any one got any tips about that?
Without knowing your system, I can't give specific advice, but OpenOffice (as well as LibreOffice) can export directly to PDF and most Linux systems will have PDF as a printing option.

If you use a Windows PC, Cute PDF - http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp - is a program I used to use. It installs itself as a printer; you choose CutePDF as your printer and then hit print, then it creates a PDF file which you can save wherever you want.
Thanks for that Duellist, I'll have a look. :)
Tarw Llwyd
OBOD Druid

Post by Tarw Llwyd »

Greetings, all! As an Ovate, I developed a divination method which I'd like to get published, even self-published, but I don't know the first thing about this. Has anyone here done anything like this before, or know anyone who has that might be willing to discuss this with me? It is not a tarot deck, but involves cards and an instruction booklet. The good news is that Jen Delyth (who I first met in 2009) has agreed to do the design work, if I get the publishing mechanics (and a marketing strategy) in place. You may remember her now iconic Celtic Tree of Life, and she has a website filled with glorious art. http://celticartstudio.com/ Anyway, I would hate to miss a chance to see what she can do on this oracle I am developing. Any comments would be very much appreciated.
Bendithion
Brian y Tarw Llwyd
/|\
Everyone needs to believe in something...
I believe I'll have another ale... and, oh yes, Klaatu barada nikto
:beer:ImageImageImage
Twyrch
OBOD Druid

Post by Twyrch »

For those looking to be published, I recommend my publisher, PublishAmerica http://www.publishamerica.com. Unlike other Publishing companies, they will publish your book for free, give free editing, cover design, ect... your royalties are small at first, but as you sell more, your royalties go up. It's really not a bad deal.
Twyrch  /|\  J. D. Edwards

ImageImageImage

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien
Crimson Stormfire

Post by Crimson Stormfire »

I just did this! I have just as of august 31st published my first book on amazon for kindle. It was much easier than i thought. here are the steps i used.
1. set up a KDP {kindle direct publishing} account.
2. open your manuscript in microsoft open office. Edit. this step was long for me...i had a lot of spelling errors and i always forget that i in reference to self is a capital letter...
3. save as HTML format.{its in the save as menu}
4 reopen in open office as html document that you just saved, using the insert and format tabs create your page breaks and mark your paragraphs.
5 follow the instructions on KDP upload your book, {make sure to download the previewer as it does the preview job the best. preview your entire book looking for odd breaks and weird line placement}when your happy with the way it looks. save and publish when you've chosen your price and regions for availability
6.} wait about 10-12 hours and viola published.
i HAVE MAD 2 SALES so far hoping for more!
you can find my book here.
http://www.amazon.com/Of-Shade-and-Shad ... and+Shadow

hope that helped! :D
Twyrch
OBOD Druid

Post by Twyrch »

It's been 5 years since I published Brander and as of Feb. this year, I allowed it to go out of print. I have rebranded it as "The Scions of Faerie" and shortened the series to "The Faerie Chronicles". Since publishing, I've completed book 2, "The Soul Stones of Faerie" and I'm working on book 3, "The Priestess of Faerie" with a planned book 4, "The Druid of Faerie". I'd love suggestions on another publisher/agent, if anyone has one.
Twyrch  /|\  J. D. Edwards

ImageImageImage

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien
Albert Emanuel

Post by Albert Emanuel »

Hi twyrch!
I am an Ovate from Austria, and trying to get my manuscript to the right people,... it is about my work as a healer and personal body&mind trainer (works great with the Ovate path)... the essence is : EMOTIONA ALCHEMY, how to transform our challenging emotions into nourishing energy...
I am looking for a Tutor, lector, co-author, agent, or someone who has experience and can point me in the right directions....
Damh suggested the FULLMOON-book company... do you have any experience with them?