Reading Style?

FAQs, Guidelines and other general disucssions concerning writing-open to all board membership.
treegod
OBOD Druid

Reading Style?

Post by treegod »

I really cannot get along with descriptions of characters or places in books, normally I flick through them if they're too long (which measn that, technically, I probably only read half of the LOTR books :D ). What I really like is the dialogue and actions, then my imagination fills out the details.

Sometimes I read a book and they describe the character but my brain sometimes forms an idea about them that doesn't match the book. And unless there's map I get confused with things like directions, what I imagine just isn't so concrete. It's vague, like a dream, so direction, proportion etc lose all meaning. They don't matter compared to what's happening in the story.

Anyone else like this?

Or got any other preference to how you read? A "style"?
DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Re: Reading Style?

Post by DaRC »

I think the style is the style of writing that suits you
- my wife (not a great fantasy fan) hated LOTR; because a lot of it is so sketchy and leaves a lot to the imagination (e.g. the Balrog).
Personally I struggle with much Victorian literature because it's so detailled; internally I'm shouting "just get on with the plot..." I don't want half a chapter on the soft furnishings of the living room!
However description of nature and characters quite interest me. I suppose any author has to balance the elements of description vs characterization vs plot.

So what authors styles do you like?
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image
Sylph_24

Post by Sylph_24 »

I like a Stephen King approach to description: you say what is absolutely necessary to set the mood and carry the story, and let the reader fill in the rest.
Granted, I don't particularly mind if its a bit more than that (a la Jacqueline Carey or someone like that), though I will admit myself that Lord of the Rings bored me to tears.
"There's a storm heading this way. Even the weather sucks in my dreams. I feel so charmed. " - April Ryan, The Longest Journey
Image ImageImage
Please click and give my dragons some love. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sylph_24
treegod
OBOD Druid

Post by treegod »

DaRC wrote:So what authors styles do you like?
Hmm, not so sure really. I used to love reading Stephen Lawhead. Anne McCaffrey too. I read a couple of books by China Miéville and really got into the stories. I'd like to read more of his books. I think it can also be something to do with the subject as well, what hooks and what doesn't.

There's a type of style that I encounter sometimes, but I'm not sure how to explain it. sometimes I don't feel too involved with the story, it seems a bit too detached from the story and the characters, and all I see is a load of words on the page instead of being able to "enter" the story. I tried reading the first Her-Bak by Isha Schwaller de Lubicz but couldn't get into it, and there was another one based in Australia, can't remember what it's called.

LOTR was easier to read because I saw the films a few time and knew the story, and I did like some of it, but it has vast swathes describing landscapes that I just flicked through, like in Jean M. Auel's Earth Children series. Until I saw names and quotation marks, then I knew something was going on, yet even then...

Oh, and for those that have access to the writer's grove I've submitted a story: The Wish Room. Would much appreciate it being looked at :)
treegod
OBOD Druid

Post by treegod »

Sylph_24 wrote:I like a Stephen King approach to description: you say what is absolutely necessary to set the mood and carry the story, and let the reader fill in the rest.
Very good advice :)