Storytelling course

FAQs, Guidelines and other general disucssions concerning writing-open to all board membership.
JDFW
OBOD Bard

Storytelling course

Post by JDFW »

Sorry for the cross post, but I just found this forum, much to my delight.

Here is a link to an online graduate level storytelling program I'm enrolling in. It's a certificate program (non-degree) and only requires three classes. Since it's non-degree the entrance requirements are somewhat relaxed.

I will probably start this summer. Let me know if you enroll!

http://www.lis.unt.edu/main/ViewPage.php?cid=78
"I am a child of fire and light, born on Beltane Day." ~Douglas Monroe
Duellist
OBOD Bard

Re: Storytelling course

Post by Duellist »

As someone who has actually taught storytelling techniques, I think most of these courses are a little exploitative. I give optional lectures which the students (who've already paid for their course) can attend at no extra cost if they want to add storytelling to their more general skills.

If you want to learn how to tell a story live, I think you just need an audience and a certain amount of empathy. I mean, I studied some quite in-depth techniques about how to use long and short vowel-sounds back when I was an actor doing the storytelling lessons at drama school, but that's storytelling as a specific performance art and can only really be taught by a person in the same room who can help you with little things like posture etc.

I'm not saying the course is a bad idea, just that I'd be hesitant to pay for an online course in a topic that I would think is based so heavily on personal contact with your audience.
Sanity is overrated...
JDFW
OBOD Bard

Re: Storytelling course

Post by JDFW »

As an instructor myself, I'm always looking for ways to improve my storytelling, since that's the key to good teaching. People have different learning styles, i.e. some learn best by reading, hearing, some by doing, some by looking at diagrams and charts and such. So, online learning can be very effective for some. Here's a website with a free learning style test, if anyone is interested: http://www.vark-learn.com/english/index.asp

I'm also reading a good book on Storytelling right now. Here's a link to that: http://www.amazon.com/Improving-Your-St ... 029&sr=8-2

As for the cost, financial aid is available. Since it is a graduate program, it is not funded by Pell Grants, but by University funds, which are given out on a "first-come first-served" basis. They usually run out mid- to late- June, but those who apply before that are highly likely to get them. (The financial aid official I spoke with said that income is not usually a determining factor in who gets the funds at the graduate level) If you do get grants, you need to take a minimum of five credit hours per semester.

I'll let anyone interested know after the classes if I thought they were worthwhile.
"I am a child of fire and light, born on Beltane Day." ~Douglas Monroe