Recommended Books on Shamanism

A forum for discussion of the Shamanic path.
Forum rules
The focus of this forum is on the positive aspects of Shamanism, especially in connection with Druidry. Please feel free to discuss, ask questions and share your ideas and experiences. This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.

If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
D'Arzhur
OBOD Druid

Re: Recommended Books on Shamanism

Postby D'Arzhur » 26 Jan 2008, 00:00

Griffin,

Not a beginners' book by any means, but the best book on Shamanism I have read recently is Images of the Soul by Daan van Kampenhout. Daan is a Dutch shaman who has developed shamanic constellation work by fusing family constellation work with shamanic rituals. In this book, he discusses the nature of shamanic rituals and constellations and various models of the soul from a shamanic perspective. He writes well and in an easy-to-read style and, if you're interested in shamanic ritual work, you will gain a lot from this book.
Hello Celtic Knight :hiya: (and everybody :hiya: )...I was just thinking while reading this entire post about Daan Van Kampenhout...but thought that maybe he was not read outside of the Netherlands...well he is :) I have 3 of his books and I really like his style....
I also like the book from Caitlin Matthews "Singing the soul back home" & from her partner "the celtic shaman"
but I also have to mention for people interested by Soul Retrieval the book (same title) by Sandra Ingerman...
D'Arzhur
Tradu/i\re
ImageImage
Image :daraoi: :awen:

scopulus
OBOD Ovate

Postby scopulus » 26 Jan 2008, 01:03

Good point here regarding Daan van kampenhout.
I like that one as well. The only one I really need to find still is called Rituals, but in dutch Out of print...
Handbook of shamanism is also quite good explained and really thought well.

D'arhzur,
Good point regarding the Celtic shaman. The second edition of the book I like even better then the first one!
Haven't read the other ones, limited on cash flow, so in time I will get those as well!

Blessings
Words, mere words, Vivid, clear and sometimes Cruel!!!
Yet ... they have a subtle magic in them.

'Oscar Wilde' The picture of Dorian Gray.

D'Arzhur
OBOD Druid

Postby D'Arzhur » 26 Jan 2008, 09:24

I just checked Daan V. K. website and only "Images of the Soul" is in english... some of his books have been translated in french, german and italian though. :wink:
D'Arzhur
Tradu/i\re
ImageImage

Griffin
OBOD Ovate

Postby Griffin » 26 Jan 2008, 09:39

Hi D'Arzhur

Is that your drum in the pictures?

It looks lovely - I make and paint them so it caught my eye.

D'Arzhur
OBOD Druid

Postby D'Arzhur » 26 Jan 2008, 13:53

:hiya: Griffin :)
Yes that's my drum... :yay: I could not take the workshops to make her myself but she was made just for me and I choose every single details including the (approx) sound range and she has a lovely voice :wink:
(birch wood/horse/skin laces and a beautiful snow obsidian)
I would love to see the ones you have made :)
D'Arzhur
Tradu/i\re
ImageImage

Runwulf

Postby Runwulf » 07 Nov 2008, 23:37

Greetings…

These are the books I used to become a Faery Shaman. They were all useful in one way or another at the time I read them, but I recommend that folks use their intuition to find the books they need because what works for one person may not work for another. We all need different things at different times and spirit always knows precisely what that is. I have certainly received power from the most unexpected sources. So, trust and explore!

The Green and Burning Tree by Tira Brandon-Evans
Portals of the Seasons by by Tira Brandon-Evans
The Celtic Shaman by John Matthews
The Sidhe by John Matthews
Faery Healing by Margie McArthur
The Tree of Enchantment by Orion Foxwood
The Faery Teachings by Orion Foxwood
By Oak, Ash, & Thorn by D.J. Conway

Also, once you have made contact with your own spirit guides and allies, you will carve out your own path. That’s when the real power - and fun! - begins.

Blessings…

Cynewulf
OBOD Bard

Postby Cynewulf » 23 Nov 2008, 15:45

Oooo! All these books look interesting. Will have to invest in a few next pay-day.

Many thanks!

:tiphat:

Corwen

Postby Corwen » 24 Nov 2008, 13:28

Nice to see this thread, I hadn't spotted it before. Some interesting looking books to follow up.

I am a big fan of Piers Vitebsky:http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h ... ky&x=0&y=0

I think everyone interested in Shamanism would appreciate this book:
The Shaman: Voyages of the Soul - Trance, Ecstasy and Healing from Siberia to the Amazon by Piers Vitebsky

I have also just finished his book Reindeer People, Living with Animals and Spirits in Siberia, which whilst not about Shamanism directly, is fascinating reading for those with an interest in nomadic culture, beliefs and ways of life.
My Homepage, music, instrument making, articles, pilgrimage and more! http://www.ancientmusic.co.uk
My Blog: http://www.katecorwen.wordpress.com
My Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/KATEandCORWEN
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kate-Cor ... 840?ref=hl

Shining Brow
OBOD Bard

Postby Shining Brow » 14 Jan 2009, 12:38

hey gang.

I haven't been around in ages, so it's about time my finger got removed from it's current location (and, having just purchased the cd version, that may help a bit :D )

Anyway, 1 book I note that hasn't made it's appreance here is 'Shamanic Voices' by Joan Halifax. It sort of helped me get my feet wet on the subject - especially by introducing the 'responsibility' concept of being a shaman. Because she uses first hand sources, and doesn't offer up too much of her own opinion on things - she lets the practitioners speak for themselves - and those practitioners had been doing it for decades within their clan (IIRC... it's been a few years).

Also, slightly different subject, but I still see it as a form of shamanism... 'Ecstatic Body Postures' by Belinda Gore, following on from 'Where the Spirits Ride the Wind' by Felicitas Goodman. Different 'style' of journeying, but quite focussed - and effective!

SB

/2cents
Lazy Slacko Bard..(and shaman)

CornishShaman

Postby CornishShaman » 26 Mar 2009, 13:27

Hi All,
I thought Id recommend a few books!
'Entering the Circle' by Olga Kharitidi, ISBN 0-7225-3459-0, this is a great book a sort of journal about her trip into Siberian Shamanism, BUT I wouldnt recommend her other book, as that did nothing for me!

'Riding Windhorses' by Sarangerel, ISBN 0-89281-808-5 and 'Chosen by the Spirits' by Sarangerel ISBN 089281861-1, both great books about Mongolian Shamanism, very interesting! Sadly Sarangerel died recently, so there will be no more books from her!

'The Shamanic Experience' by Kenneth Meadows, sorry lent it to someone, so no ISBN! A great book on Eclectic Shamanism!

Also I guess I should recommend my own book - 'Shamanic Links' by Adam Bear, ISBN 1-86163-301-7, published by Capall Bann. Its a basic Intro to Modern Shamanism of the mainly Celtic and Norse variety. One of my aims was to make the Natural world a part of it, rather than just focusing on the Spiritual aspects, so there is a lot of useful info on things like Woodland Structure, Conservation, Tracking and a small Tree Identification guide, based on the Ogham.
It also includes detailed instructions on how to make a lot of Magical Tools and a lot of info on Healing,as well as all the things you would normally expect, like Totems & Power Animals, Gods and Goddesses, Journeying info, etc, etc!

Corwen

Postby Corwen » 26 Mar 2009, 16:17

'Riding Windhorses' by Sarangerel, ISBN 0-89281-808-5
I thought this was a great book too.
My Homepage, music, instrument making, articles, pilgrimage and more! http://www.ancientmusic.co.uk
My Blog: http://www.katecorwen.wordpress.com
My Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/KATEandCORWEN
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kate-Cor ... 840?ref=hl

Shakya

Re:

Postby Shakya » 28 Mar 2009, 10:04

Celtic shamanism from john matthews is out of print told my bookstore. A pity, for I long for this book. Does anyone has any other option where to obtain a copy of it? I live in Belgium, and thus overseas for most of you!

Warmest regards.
We've just bought aa copy from Amazon.co.uk. They do deliver to Europe (I live in France), so give them a try ....

Shakya x
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure". Nelson Mandela

Makoiyi

Postby Makoiyi » 28 Mar 2009, 11:30

I to have just bought a copy for my husband and live in Europe, I ordered our copy from The Book Depository, and I got a new copy at a reduced price. They are based in the UK but ship free to Europe.

Makoiyi

scopulus
OBOD Ovate

Postby scopulus » 28 Mar 2009, 17:15

Hello all,

Meanwhile I already purchased it, by a friend with a credit card. Lucky me have worked already several exercises with this book. It is a wonderfull experience!

Blessings!
Words, mere words, Vivid, clear and sometimes Cruel!!!
Yet ... they have a subtle magic in them.

'Oscar Wilde' The picture of Dorian Gray.

*Coyote*

Postby *Coyote* » 29 Mar 2009, 10:02

The Shamanic Witch by Gail Woods is quite a good one. She understands that shamanism today is not what it was in the past, and is careful around using the word shaman. She uses shamanic practices in her spirituality, but it is not shamanism.

It was a well written down to earth, practical book on using techniques such as drumming to help with journeying. It also discussed the ecstatic state, and ways to get there. She offered simple rituals and ceremonies throughout, along with anecdotes of her own experiences. She offers ways of finding your power animal, your power song, and spirit guides. She blends shamanic practices with Wicca to form a spirituality that sings to her soul, and allows her soul to sing back.

All in all, one I would highly recommend.
As we honour the divinity within nature, so are we shown the nature of the divine.

Lupus

Postby Lupus » 06 Mar 2010, 00:12

Well, its been interesting seeing what people have read, and their opinions.

However, I come at this from a slightly different standpoint: snamanism is inextricably linked with the use of ethnogens, and I see it as a direct means for manipulation of the fabric of reality.

Perhaps one of the most informed writers of our time on the subject is a German called Christian Ratsch, and a book I would certainly reccomend in the context here is "Witchcraft Medicine: healing arts, shamanic practices, and forbidden plants". It is not a how to do it book.

Of course, another author which is absent so far from the list, who certainly deserves a mention, would be Terence McKenna, and "The Archaic Revival" is certainly relevant.

However, all of this simply points to "DMT - The Spirit Molecule" by Rick Strassman, MD.

I am aware that this take on shamanism is not for everybody, but if you examine the subject in an objective manner, free from moral issues, in the knowledge that the use of ethnogens is normal, and within every society that ever existed, and probably pre-dates homo sapiens, perhaps it is then the only sensible viewpoint?

Oh, and just one final item for the Amazon order: "Animals and Psychedelics: the natural world and the instinct to alter consciousness" by Giorgio Samorini - perhaps one of the most significant takes on the matter......
{If then in doubt, check out "Intoxication: the universal drive for mind-altering substances" by Ronald Siegel...... well worth the effort. :old:}

OrthoClaseFeldspar

Re:

Postby OrthoClaseFeldspar » 18 Mar 2010, 18:28

I didn't see Harner's book, and I always thought that was required reading for Shamanism? :)

Also, what about Castenada? Would you consider that Shamanism?

Oh and finally - Seven Arrows - Hyemeyohsts Storm?

Just a couple quick ideas...
Hi James!!
Seven Arrows has been used for many years as a tool for AA. Sucessfully. It isn't a shamanic how-to book but all of his books retrain your brain to work in another way which is invaluable. Now the downside....he has been blasted by the native community, and rumored to be on the run avoiding legal prosicution for child-related incidents.
Some of the other authors mentioned here such as Harner have also been held to task. Casteneda & Sergi K King as well.

Before Donata zaps me let me explain...there are deep divisions between pan-american shamanism and what actual shamanism is. Most cultures find what is currently going on a travesty of their most private practices. Shamanism last I heard was defined to be a practice from Siberia. Not what it has "Morphed" into.

Googling "Shame-ons", the "Wall of Shame" or Reserectineg "Ricks Twinkies 101" thru the way back machine will give you a quick sampling of the controvercy involved. Googling "twinkies" is an education all by itself.
Orval Looking Horse's "Proclaimation" of a few yrs back is an eye-opener.

I don't mean to crash anyones party.... Start a Flame-war or anything like it, but in learning comes responsibility. Who are you learning from? What is their history? What are the pro's and cons? And whoever mentioned working within the community here was dead on.

Now...to add a book I found worthwhile.
Images and Symbols by Mircea Eliade....a (passed) Romanian professor from Chicago.
Support Bacteria, It's the only Culture some people have- Stephan Wright

Squeezebox

Postby Squeezebox » 18 Apr 2010, 05:05

Lots of interesting stuff here, its an area I am very facinated by.

A couple of people have mentioned Leo Rutherford .....well I have done several courses and workshops with him (and Dawn Russell). A truely amazing bloke, deeply genuine, generous with his energy and walks very firmly on this earth but certainly is there with spirit.

He has written several books and whilst they are of the North American basis (and that is his interest, so accept that and if you need, apply it to your own path) the work he has produced is well worth delving into.

Also look at the website and see some of the amazing workshops and courses he does, I have done several and they are awesome ! (Especially the ones held at his place in East Sussex!....what a fantastic location and accomodation in yurts, benders etc!...Great food, lovely grounds, medicine wheel, ....WOW)

Also if you ever get a chance to do a sweat lodge with Leo......he is a fantastic facillitator ...very experienced, it is the real thing.....but it is safe and you are very much able to go to your own limits.

I can fully recommend anything from here :

www.shamanism.co.uk

Enjoy !

Squeezebox

Postby Squeezebox » 18 Apr 2010, 05:10

Sorry....the link doesnt work !

Look up Eagles Wing - Shamanism

or type in WWW.Shamanism.co.uk

or just hunta round for Leo Rutherford.

I am not very good at this bit yet......the coyote is playing games !!! :o

Nightfalls
OBOD Bard

Postby Nightfalls » 08 Jun 2010, 16:12

This druidic shamanism seems like something i might like to learn about. Are there any books that will give me a background and general overview on druidic shamanism? I am very interested in this power animal and may seek to find my own one day.
Out of the night that covers me, Black as the pit from pole to pole
I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance, I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears, Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll
I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.

Return to “The Shamanic Druid”