Re: Power Animals

A forum for discussion of the Shamanic path.
Forum rules
The focus of this forum is on the positive aspects of Shamanism, especially in connection with Druidry. Please feel free to discuss, ask questions and share your ideas and experiences. This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.

If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
dvawlqos

Postby dvawlqos » 03 Aug 2011, 14:25

I have a question -- I tend to see two wolves when meditating on the otherworld (as well as a guy in a wolf fur cowl who calls himself Vlady). I don't really understand why I see two wolves rather than one or whether these are teachers or whatnot. I asked them, and they said something about seeing both sides -- doesn't quite make sense yet. Any ideas?
Much that was called religion has carried an unconscious attitude of hostility toward life. True religion must teach that life is filled with joys pleasing to the eye of God, that knowledge without action is empty. All men must see that the teaching of religion by rules and rote is largely a hoax. The proper teaching is recognized with ease. You can know it without fail because it awakens within you that sensation which tells you this is something you’ve always known.

Conclusion of the "Commentaries" in "Appendix II: The Religion of Dune"

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 05 Aug 2011, 12:36

Hmm the only two wolves within mythology that I know of are the companions of Odin - Geri & Freki who Odin gives his food to.
Geri & Freki can be translated as the same name, Ravenous One, or as greedy and greedier.

Does Vlady in the wolf coat have both eyes?
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Lorraine S.

Postby Lorraine S. » 06 Aug 2011, 10:49

I have a question -- I tend to see two wolves when meditating on the otherworld (as well as a guy in a wolf fur cowl who calls himself Vlady). I don't really understand why I see two wolves rather than one or whether these are teachers or whatnot. I asked them, and they said something about seeing both sides -- doesn't quite make sense yet. Any ideas?
Actually, it makes a lot of sense to me. Wolves mate for life so chances are that you have a mated pair showing you the male/female aspect of life. Plus since they are walkers-between-the-worlds, there may be lessons learned in balancing your physical and spiritual work.

I have found that often when working with power animals/guides, the answer to the question "Why?" is often "Why not?" :grin:

dvawlqos

Postby dvawlqos » 13 Aug 2011, 05:25

Hmm the only two wolves within mythology that I know of are the companions of Odin - Geri & Freki who Odin gives his food to.
Geri & Freki can be translated as the same name, Ravenous One, or as greedy and greedier.

Does Vlady in the wolf coat have both eyes?
honestly, I've never seen his face he has a wolfskin over his head and I mostly seem to see him side on. Not much help there I suppose.
Much that was called religion has carried an unconscious attitude of hostility toward life. True religion must teach that life is filled with joys pleasing to the eye of God, that knowledge without action is empty. All men must see that the teaching of religion by rules and rote is largely a hoax. The proper teaching is recognized with ease. You can know it without fail because it awakens within you that sensation which tells you this is something you’ve always known.

Conclusion of the "Commentaries" in "Appendix II: The Religion of Dune"

Cynon
OBOD Bard

Postby Cynon » 24 Aug 2011, 20:18

For several years now my animal guide has been a crow. Today, however, while journeying, I was introduced to a new animal, a large pig. He was happy and friendly and we spent a long time dancing together. and I immediately felt a very strong rapport with him. He tells me his name is Carth, which is Welsh for oakum (I looked it up in an internet dictionary when I returned). Oakum is a fibre that's used for caulking to make wooden boats watertight. Interesting considering I've recently been told to make a sacrifice to the Lady of the Lake and now I've met a pig that's interested in boats!
Searching for Avalon

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 25 Aug 2011, 16:48

Their answer makes sense to me. Think about what seeing both sides of a situation, opinion, etc. may mean - balance, a more open mind, lack of pre-judging, seeing the other point of view - and as said above, a balancing of male/female within, or a balancing of the right, more intuitive side of the brain, and the left, more analytical side of the brain.

Why not meditate on the answer?

Good luck!
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Hairy Woman

Postby Hairy Woman » 03 Oct 2011, 17:45

Hi, I can't access the article, but thought I'd share my experiences with finding my Totem/animal guide, in the hopes that it's relevant.

I tried to do visualisations before, and I'm quite sure in the past I forced myself to see what I wanted to see, or had been influenced through reading the outcomes in 'how to' guides. For example, I read a guide in which the outcome was a deer, and so I saw a deer waiting for me. Other times I'd see a lizard because I liked them and that was what I was hoping I'd get.

Now, I am useless at meditation, and it didn't help that I did this at bed time, tired and lying flat on the bed instead of sitting upright (on the other hand, I got the best night's sleep I've had in months, so perhaps I should try more journeying around bedtime in the future!). I visualised going down into the World Tree/Shaman's Tree (see also: 'To find your power animal'. Thank you, Donata, for that thread!) and going down, I just kept going and going and going... my mind wandered, and I don't know what happened next. Eventually, I fell asleep. From what I remember, I didn't see my power animal, but when I woke up the first word in my head was 'Squirrel', and it made so much sense. I am in no way disappointed in this Totem - that it isn't big or majestic - because it feels so right.
--Although I try to thoroughly check my work, hilarious and non-sensical typos may result in longer posts due to a shoddy laptop keyboard--

--Chase the numinous. --

druidinthemist

Re: Power Animals (crow)

Postby druidinthemist » 20 May 2014, 12:19

my spirit guide is the crow. it has made appearances in my liifel when i most needed it. it is cunning and its mind has helped me through a labyrinth of dangerous lands. without a spirit animal i couldn't have survived. lessons learned will stay with me forever.

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 26 May 2014, 19:51

crow: i first saw the crow at my grandmothers. she shapeshifted in front of me. then i became the crow in my teenage years. i did not intend to and it frightened some of my friends. then two workers from our local crisis chapter came over after i had somewhat accidentally swallowed a bottle of tyloenol 3's. before they arrived i became violently ill. when they showed up i was fine. we talked for a while and the one lady who was sitting on the floor in front of me said lets see whose in there with you. i presented the crow which startled them. when they found i would be fine they rushed out to make notes before they forgot what they saw. druidinthemist

Mannan

Postby Mannan » 13 Jun 2014, 01:40

The wolf or dog was an ancient European motif for the otherworld spirits who follow us and wish us to come to their realm. I believe the Atlantic Europeans of the Iron Age believed that souls of the unfulfilled dead remained in this world in the form of wolves, birds, deer etc and served the living in order to pass on. Carrion animals would consume the flesh of the fallen and increase their souls' worthiness. This is imagery you can see on the Gundestrup Cauldron...

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Postby xidia » 13 Jun 2014, 09:18

Well, that's interesting. Meeting my wolf guide - who I've had all my life, but just didn't know - very much coincided with my beginning in energy and spirit work. A few years later, I've met a raven guide as well. One of the common themes of teaching is I'm not spending enough time in Otherworldly practice, so the European history of these two makes complete sense to me.

Return to “The Shamanic Druid”