Dreamwalker?

A forum for discussion of the Shamanic path.
Forum rules
The focus of this forum is on the positive aspects of Shamanism, especially in connection with Druidry. Please feel free to discuss, ask questions and share your ideas and experiences. This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.

If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
DarcArchona

Dreamwalker?

Postby DarcArchona » 23 Sep 2009, 04:07

I am not 100% sure if this is the place where my question fits, however it appears to me best fitted here.

Last night I was visited by something in my dreams, it was in the shape of a man. a clouded/shaded figure in man form.

I was lying in bed, half asleep/in and out of it, and felt this presence in my bedroom, well within the span of what felt a few minutes I felt the presence stronger and come over my bed where I was held in place by what can closest be described as fear. I thought it was a burglar or something at first, so I pretended that I was asleep. It leaned over me and placed it's hand on my throat/upper neck and pressed down for a minute, not quite choking me but pretty darn close.

Then it just sort of faded into the darkness. Everything sort of shifts, gets a little brighter in the room and I am WIDE awake, complete with pounding heart. I ran around my apartment making sure it wasn't a burglar but all doors/windows were locked and nothing moved from when I went to bed, so the only thing I can come up with is that a spirit of some sort paid me a visit.

Can anyone figure this out or have an idea on it?

Moderators - please move if you feel necessary :)
Image 2012 Samhain/Beltane Eisteddfod Recipes

DarcArchona

Re: Dreamwalker?

Postby DarcArchona » 24 Sep 2009, 11:29

guess not

Kat Lady
OBOD Druid

Postby Kat Lady » 24 Sep 2009, 12:19

guess not
Sometimes it takes a while to receive a response from others to such experiences. :)

My first question is what do YOU think it was? I was not there to feel the presence, the air surrounding me or to experience the subtle changes in energy/smell etc. I can rattle off all sorts of guesses, but since I was not the one that experienced it, they would be guesses.

However, I can assure you that spirits and guides walk among us and when we are awakening our spiritual side, it is not uncommon for us to "see" more than sense them during the dreamtime. The time that I call the "tweens," that period between light and dark, conscious and unconscious thought, sleep and awake, are when we are most often planted in both worlds. Therefore, we tend to visualize more.

And awakening to something like this could be both startling and exhilirating at the same time. Our natural response is of course fear. I had a similar experience as a teenager that scared the bejesus out of me, or maybe into me since I turned to Christianity. (My fear made me think this being was "eee-vil.") When I began my druidic journey years later, I discovered that the presence in my room that night was actually my guide trying to communicate with me! (Needless to say, he was told that was NOT the way to begin a conversation!:o )

By analyzing the experience, you will be able to keep it in balance. You say he was almost choking you. If you think back, was it a malicious feeling or more of a pressure, sensing something? Think of where the hand was (throat chakra) and see if you can come up with a reason for him touching that particular area. What had you been doing in the few days before the experience? What were your thoughts, your emotions, the basic events that may have put you in a state of mind to be receptive to it?

So yes, I do believe it is possible to have had the experience you had. But its meaning will be best determined by you.
If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.--Mark Twain

DarcArchona

Postby DarcArchona » 28 Sep 2009, 04:42

I'm not 100% sure of what it was. It could have been a spirit guide trying to contact me, although I am regularly in communication with several animal spirits around me and it did not feel the same as that.

As close as I can place it, it felt like the repressed feelings of a great many people congealed into a spiritual entity and that is what came to me. I am not really repressing anything since I am a very open person, however maybe it came to me because it thought it would express itself to me and get rid of whatever it was holding it around here?

As for visualizing spirits during that half-awake time period, my visualizing is not limited to just then. I see spirits during the middle of the day, it's sort of a pain to split up what is real and what is not, however the only thing that helps me separate everything is that spirits tend to be somewhat transparent or have a glow about them, at least to me they do.

thoughts?

DarcArchona

Postby DarcArchona » 28 Sep 2009, 07:02

...and again. this time made me remember last time. I always hear a group of voices talking but that I cannot clearly make out. Seems to me that they sound like a group of children with a teacher or 2 adults.

Artemis365

Postby Artemis365 » 02 Oct 2009, 01:04

:hiya:
Have you ever expierienced this before? :thinking:
"We know what we are but not what we may be" - William Shakespeare
"Feel no sorrow, feel no pain, feel no hurt there's nothing gained. Only love will then remain."-Blackmore's Night
"There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip"-Billy the Kid

Artemis365

Postby Artemis365 » 03 Oct 2009, 01:42

Think of where the hand was (throat chakra) and see if you can come up with a reason for him touching that particular area.
I did some reading about chakras and I agree with Kat Lady that it had something to do with your throat chakra, which deals with creativity and the ability to express yourself.
"Feel no sorrow, feel no pain, feel no hurt there's nothing gained. Only love will then remain."-Blackmore's Night

Ebelaar
OBOD Bard

Postby Ebelaar » 04 Oct 2009, 17:10

Greetings and well met sir DarcArchona,

With what short time that you have spent with the shaded figure... well, its only natural for anyone to be left with "all-questions-&-no-answer" state.

Well, if you are seeking an answer from this person. Just prepare a room with some space for table and chairs along with a pot of tea, (like a host preparing their home for their guest while waiting for his/her/their arrival.) then "invite" your guest over. (e.g: I am here, do you wish to speak to me?)

Now, I do not know if this person wishes to do you harm or not, so do some protection "spell" work and a prayer before you start. If things do get "hairy" remember to keep your head cool and mind your manners. If he/she starts to get too persistent, anger will be your weapon. Channel your anger inwardly in your mind not outwardly to your surroundings. Normally a confrontation like this is a "battle" of Will, not a outburst of anger.

But you should probably consult with the others here, or if you have someone whose close to you who have had "this" kinda experiance for insights before you attempt it.
Or, you can just ignore it and just think of it as a dream. There's a saying I believe "Discretion is the better part of Valor."

May the Great Spirits watch over you. / l \
Ebela'ar the Student.
Free your Soul, let your wings take flight to the unending Azure sky.
Image Image
Circle of the Four Dragons

Artemis365

Postby Artemis365 » 04 Oct 2009, 18:19

Well said Ebelaar :)

Corwen

Postby Corwen » 04 Oct 2009, 20:57

I am not 100% sure if this is the place where my question fits, however it appears to me best fitted here.

Last night I was visited by something in my dreams, it was in the shape of a man. a clouded/shaded figure in man form.

I was lying in bed, half asleep/in and out of it, and felt this presence in my bedroom, well within the span of what felt a few minutes I felt the presence stronger and come over my bed where I was held in place by what can closest be described as fear. I thought it was a burglar or something at first, so I pretended that I was asleep. It leaned over me and placed it's hand on my throat/upper neck and pressed down for a minute, not quite choking me but pretty darn close.

Then it just sort of faded into the darkness. Everything sort of shifts, gets a little brighter in the room and I am WIDE awake, complete with pounding heart. I ran around my apartment making sure it wasn't a burglar but all doors/windows were locked and nothing moved from when I went to bed, so the only thing I can come up with is that a spirit of some sort paid me a visit.

Can anyone figure this out or have an idea on it?

Moderators - please move if you feel necessary :)
This is what's called a hypnagogic hallucination, also known as sleep paralysis, or in children as a 'night terror'. It is in fact very common. Often people experience feeling crushed or suffocated, and/or have hallucinations of people or even crowds of people in their room. These experiences probably gave rise to medieval demonological ideas of Incubi and Succubi. its all to do with the mechanisms which paralyse us during sleep to stop us acting out our dreams, and the vision generating part of the unconscious, not switching off properly when we wake up so we are caught halfway between sleeping and waking.

It has been discussed elsewhere on this board, so I won't trot out my experiences again! Just put "sleep paralysis" into the search box to find all the old threads.
My Homepage, music, instrument making, articles, pilgrimage and more! http://www.ancientmusic.co.uk
My Blog: http://www.katecorwen.wordpress.com
My Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/KATEandCORWEN
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kate-Cor ... 840?ref=hl

White Horse
OBOD Bard

Postby White Horse » 17 Apr 2010, 00:12

[/quote]

This is what's called a hypnagogic hallucination, also known as sleep paralysis, or in children as a 'night terror'. It is in fact very common. Often people experience feeling crushed or suffocated, and/or have hallucinations of people or even crowds of people in their room. These experiences probably gave rise to medieval demonological ideas of Incubi and Succubi. its all to do with the mechanisms which paralyse us during sleep to stop us acting out our dreams, and the vision generating part of the unconscious, not switching off properly when we wake up so we are caught halfway between sleeping and waking.

It has been discussed elsewhere on this board, so I won't trot out my experiences again! Just put "sleep paralysis" into the search box to find all the old threads.[/quote]

I agree...most likely sleep paralysis.

reilz81
OBOD Bard

Postby reilz81 » 09 Feb 2011, 07:05

hmm ive done it in the past from my astral body go into others dreams its a bit unethical if done without permission all the times ive done it was with permission from another so its possible it wasnt this very scientific answer of sleep paralelysis i have also experienced visits from succubis quite a let down from all the stories that have been weaved about them lol

Canu Taliesin

Postby Canu Taliesin » 17 Sep 2011, 21:49

There are things which don't only go bump in the night but also gain energy fro your experience of them. When you dream you can stimulate and be stimulated to experience deep emotions. These have an enrgy (as all conscious manifestation does). It's very likely you experienced something that drew that energy from you. Obviously, this is in the blind spot of science, so this would be an unacceptible (not just unexplainable) phenomenon within that particular conceptual framework. It's quite common, just make sure you know how to cleanse yourself and your space and learn some protection seals.
There will be no further admissions to the work this cycle. Thank you. CT

Hairy Woman

Postby Hairy Woman » 01 Oct 2011, 18:31

I had a dream a couple of years ago that I was being prepared for battle by people who I remember as being druid-like or Egyptian, clothing-wise. The dream started out close as if I was talking to these people, then I became more distant, as if I was looking at them from a book or scroll. After these people had 'prepared' me for battling a demon and given me a final warning, I woke up. I couldn't move my arms or legs and I felt as if something was sitting on me, holding me down. There was a hollow sucking sound, like a long, large intake of breath. I don't believe that the sound was coming from me. Then, it disappeared. I don't know what to make of this, since although I can believe what White Horse said about a 'night terror', the dream beforehand linked seamlessly to this strange waking moment. I never experienced this 'succubus/incubus' thing before, or since. Nor would I want to again.

There was one other time in my life when a peaceful presence came to me at night, and the moment felt completely different from all the other nights in my life when I was just lying in bed awake but with my eyes closed. This is all I'll say on this second incident: the detail, I feel, should be both private and holy.

Hope my old memories give you food for thought! :)
--Although I try to thoroughly check my work, hilarious and non-sensical typos may result in longer posts due to a shoddy laptop keyboard--

--Chase the numinous. --

Muddy Fox

Postby Muddy Fox » 02 Oct 2011, 13:26

I used to have quite a few of those types of dreams years ago, with little demon things coming in the room, and of course dead people would always appear. I don't have so many of those types of dreams anymore, and if I feel any kind of prescence in the room on waking, I use St Patrick's breast plate for protection and that seems to work. Before going to sleep I always ask for protection, say the Lord's prayer and then do my mirror protection thereby bouncing anything of an ill will back to it's source or sender. And anything sent in love, is returned with love.

Muddy Fox

Postby Muddy Fox » 22 Nov 2011, 12:36

Water dreams are back.The night before last Idreamt I was in a palace or a mansion of some kind. It had high ornate ceilings, gold embossed walls, chandeliers and old expensive,wellmade furniture. It was situated upon a hill or a mountain and over looked the sea. But there was a storm and the water began to rise and the doors that opened out onto the steps that led down to the sea had been left open. Even when the wind and rain lashed into the open building, no-one shut the doors and the water rose upon the furniture and ruined it. I rushed across the room and shut the doors and locked them but it was too late.
I should probably be recording these dreams in my journal instead of here.

WrenWyrd
OBOD Bard

Postby WrenWyrd » 23 Nov 2011, 15:42

This is what's called a hypnagogic hallucination, also known as sleep paralysis, or in children as a 'night terror'. It is in fact very common. Often people experience feeling crushed or suffocated, and/or have hallucinations of people or even crowds of people in their room.
I used to have many of those in my late teenage years; someone (or, once, an big aggressive cat) was hovering over me and then I would be crushed into the bed as if falling back, and I woulndn't be able to shout or move. It felt like I was awake and I never could tell what it was though it scared the hell out of me.
Hedge-bandit, song-bomb, dart-beak, the wren
hops in the thicket, flirt-eye; shy, brave,
grubbing, winter's scamp, but more than itself–
ten requisite grams of the world's weight.
Carol Ann Duffy

Dendrias

Postby Dendrias » 23 Nov 2011, 18:00

Sleep paralysis is quite frightening, isn't it? I've had that two or three times - in the same spot my wife had it. Now, that's frightening!
Maybe I'll try to offer a cup of tea to the walking ghost, next time.

Return to “The Shamanic Druid”