shamanic courses

A forum for discussion of the Shamanic path.
Forum rules
The focus of this forum is on the positive aspects of Shamanism, especially in connection with Druidry. Please feel free to discuss, ask questions and share your ideas and experiences. This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.

If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
hugh barugh

shamanic courses

Postby hugh barugh » 18 Oct 2010, 22:03

looking for a good core shamanic course,,disabled and live in north east england so dont want my eyes taken out(cant work )
hugh@runemaker.plus.com :yay: :old:

wolf560

Re: shamanic courses

Postby wolf560 » 19 Oct 2010, 08:29

Here are two of the best documents I ever read on the Shamanic Path...

They are written by Phil Hine back in 1989 and a little dated...
I have quite a few books in my library but I always come back to these two volumes
Attachments
Walking between Worlds v1.doc
Walking between the worlds
(83.27 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
Walking Between Worlds v2.doc
Techniques in modern Shamanism
(110.5 KiB) Downloaded 458 times
The Druids wrote nothing down, and memorized everything...
/|\ Mark /|\

Image Image
2011 BS
Speakers Corner (Sep 2011) A lesson in the Ogham
Divination method; The Awen Stones

Guild Chief; ADF Scholars Guild, Scribe GotRP ADF, Bandarach Council member, NOD Council member

ImageImageImageImage

MossyMermaid
OBOD Ovate

Postby MossyMermaid » 26 May 2011, 21:28

Don't know about courses, but any book by John or Caitlin Matthews are very good. Your local library might stock a copy

Tatjana
OBOD Druid

Postby Tatjana » 27 May 2011, 13:47

Hi Hugh,

have you heard about the "Foundation for Shamanic Studies" before? Michael Harner is the one who created the word "core shamanism"...

http://www.shamanicstudies.net/

http://www.shamanism.org/

A few years ago I took part in some of their workshops and looking back I can say even today, that I have learned a lot there. As they don´t stand just for Indian native shamanism but for the essence of shamanism all over the world, I can integrate a lot of of their "tradition" into my work with drudism.

I don´t know if there are workshops near to the place where you live. But I do live in quite a rural region, in the northwestern of Germany about 100 km from Hamburg, and I found a course which I could reach with a walk of ten minutes, because one of the teachers lives in a neighboured village. I was so surprised, I can tell you... maybe for you it can be the same?

Greetings, :hiya: Tatjana
Image Image Image

Jaguar
OBOD Bard

Postby Jaguar » 07 Jul 2011, 01:54

I second Tatjana's recommendation. I've loved the courses from the Foundation for Shamanic Studies and have learned a great deal from them.

MossyMermaid
OBOD Ovate

Postby MossyMermaid » 07 Jul 2011, 13:30

Huathe

Postby Huathe » 07 Jul 2011, 15:47

Here are two of the best documents I ever read on the Shamanic Path...

They are written by Phil Hine back in 1989 and a little dated...
I have quite a few books in my library but I always come back to these two volumes
Mark,

I have an interest in Celtic Shamanism. This may surprise you since I am of the Christian faith. But is not Shamanism the art of communicating with the spirit realm? Christians do that. By prayer and to some degree by ritual. So I see nothing wrong with it. Naturally I would use it in a way that fits my beliefs and my worldview.
James E Parton
Bardic Course Graduate - Ovate Student
New Order of Druids

" We all cry tears, we all bleed red "_Ronnie Dunn

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/
http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
http://www.burningman.com/

wolf560

Postby wolf560 » 07 Jul 2011, 16:56

I see no problem with combining the two philosophies (other than the incorrect use of the word 'Shaman' of course). As I stated on the NOD forums. 'Shaman' is a Western European attempt at the right word, but is in reality a term for a practitioner of tribal medicine from the Steppes of Russia. 'Medicine person' looks more towards the Native American but not all the tribes use this word and most would not be happy at anyone saying they were an "expert on Chippewa Medicine Ways and Methods unless that person had grown up on the reservation and had been taught for years by the Tribes Medicine Person personally.

I do tend to take a skeptical look at any program of "Shamanry" because of that, as well as the potential for the influence of 'New Age' beliefs creeping into the core tenets.

All of that being said, I do feel that many beliefs at their core are similar because after all human beings invented it (discovered it, were taught it by there such and such grandparents, whatever, etc etc etc...) This to me means that there is some validity to the practices and beliefs and that there is some value in this regardless of what words we Western Europeans slap over the beliefs.

The Mayan term is a Alq'ij (Ah k ee) which means a Calendrical High Priest (or quite literally a "Day Keeper"). It was there responsibility to learn how to keep track of the Tzol'kin calender and to use that to interpret what the events of that particular day mean to the people who they are responsible for. Typical Day Keepers are chosen from a very rare number of people born on the day of Jaguar (Ix) and typically born in the middle of the 'count of days'.

Many of the general facets to being an Alq'ij are very similar to what the Ancient Druids were responsible for, and so I find a great deal to be learned from studying these people. Because my beliefs are of Ancestor veneration, I follow both a Celtic as well as a Mayan set of beliefs in honor of my Father and Mothers ancestral lineages.

The basic philosophy that I was taught was that we are 'part of the world around us' rather than being in charge of anything. That we had certain rights and responsibilities to keep that world around us safe, secure, and stable... and that interaction was possible for anyone given they had the time and put the effort into such a thing.
/|\ Mark /|\

Image Image
2011 BS

Guild Chief; ADF Scholars Guild, Scribe GotRP ADF, Bandarach Council member, NOD Council member

ImageImageImageImage

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 08 Jul 2011, 10:16

Hi Mark,

I found this very interesting in your post,
. Typical Day Keepers are chosen from a very rare number of people born on the day of Jaguar (Ix) and typically born in the middle of the 'count of days'.
My birth sign is 1x, the Jaguar (who is a powerful Animal Ally for me) and born in the middle of the day count. I'm a priestess of the Maya Temple of the Deer, and have studied a couple of shamanic traditions - Huichol and Inka - in Alberto Villoldo's lineage, and am currently studying advanced shaman healing methods with a teacher who studied under Harner and Sandra Ingerman. From my own experience I recommend teachers in these traditions. Good luck!

I didn't know 1x people tended to be shamans - thank you for this information!

Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

wolf560

Postby wolf560 » 09 Jul 2011, 22:24

Yes, my 'Day Sign' is Laka Ix (Day 12 Jaguar).

What they preferred was a 'Day Seven Jaguar' however since "too much or too little" made for a more difficult time. I have had a few teachers, but none of any real note since I was in the military until just last year.

They have all said the same thing however... "a day 12 Jaguar can be a bit too powerful and can sometimes outshine or overdo a project or task, much care should be use and much control utilized to channel this persons energies".

So I tend to get a bit into things and I try to stay back when possible and remain silent (as silent as the Jaguar)...
/|\ Mark /|\

Image Image
2011 BS

ImageImageImageImage

wolf560

Postby wolf560 » 10 Jul 2011, 00:58

“La Ka Ix”= Mayan first name

12= “La Ka”; Understanding and communication.
The gift of retrospection; this allows them to fuse disassociated parts, ideas, or elements together into a new functioning whole. It also allows them to apply new pieces or fragments into an already existing “whole. You are Ruled by “Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli”, the Aztec God of the Morningstar (Venus or Lucifer).

“IX”= JAGUAR; 14th day of the Uinal.
Also means “Death” (Northern energy). A deep love of Mother Earth, Jaguar is tied to all Earth Energies. Jaguar is feminine in nature, capable of healing. Jaguar is the ruling spirit of Jungles, Plains, and Mountains. Jaguar is paired with Clairvoyance, and is the typical sign for a prophet/ daykeepers of the Maya. They often possess great intellect, strength of character, and the ability to see through the “night”.

Their strength often allows them to have extraordinary patience, which often explodes in bursts of decision and action. Their focus tends to be narrow and they are rarely open to exploring alternative paths once a decision has been made.

Secretive, Bold, Mystical; Jaguar people tend to be difficult to understand…. Relationships are often complicated and their secretiveness makes it a challenge to live with them. They often simply “Appear” in someone’s life… “Disappearing” as quickly as they appear in the first place.

Their challenge is to remain open and humble to other people.
/|\ Mark /|\

Image Image
2011 BS

ImageImageImageImage

DaveSlater

Postby DaveSlater » 20 Jan 2013, 16:34

I realise this is a very old thread so forgive me for dragging it up from the depths but for people looking for Shamanic courses this might be of interest

As a past student of Howard and Elsa Malpas I can highly recommend their courses

They have a very down to earth approach to teaching with lots of integrity backed up by years of experience

http://www.shamanicwarrior.com/

katie bridgewater

Postby katie bridgewater » 20 Jan 2013, 18:08

IMO There's a lot of tosh talked about 'Shamanism'. To quote the great Graham Harvey :
The chief aid provided to Shamans by plant-persons isn't visions, it's vomit.
Unless you're throwing up, what you're doing probably isn't shamanism"
And he would know.

So my measure of any course would be how ill it will make you feel, and how mad the people teaching on it are. Madness and vomiting are good indicators of a Shaman. I have never seen either of them when I have worked with people involved in Shamanic stuff. There is far too much emphasis on how cool their drums are...Much to my disappointment... :wink:

DaveSlater

Postby DaveSlater » 20 Jan 2013, 19:48

There are plenty of ways out there to induce vomiting if you want. Alcohol is probably the most readily available and perhaps the most enjoyable way to get you into that state!

There are many tools available for the Shaman to use. Each designed to allow passage into the spirit realm.

Drugs are well known. Dancing into exhaustion, drumming, mediation, fasting etc are others. Even the use of chilli peppers a'la Homer Simpson to raise the body heat!

Whatever tool works for that Shaman, works. One shoe size doesn't fit all as they say!

But it's not the method that gets you to the spirit realm that makes Shamanism. It's what you do when you get there

If you set out without purpose when you get to the spirit realm all you'll do is have a look around
You're not doing Shamanic work at that point you're just having a trip.
Anyone can be a tourist but it takes intent and integrity to be able to work in that realm to positive effect

Return to “The Shamanic Druid”