Please help me to understand symbols in my dream

A forum for discussion of the Shamanic path.
Forum rules
The focus of this forum is on the positive aspects of Shamanism, especially in connection with Druidry. Please feel free to discuss, ask questions and share your ideas and experiences. This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.

If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Barabell
OBOD Bard

Please help me to understand symbols in my dream

Postby Barabell » 12 Dec 2010, 09:40

Recently I had a wonderful and vivid dream:

First I saw a gray and a powerful bull, I approached him and passed along his body to his head and gently touched his head and his back curved horns, and then I sat down on the rain soaked ground - directly in front of the bull. The bull went down on his front legs as if bowing me. After that, on the ground, I saw that creamy colored lotus blossomed, I immediately smelled it, the smell was special, but very very weak.

After that I saw a narrow passage leading to the jungle, the light from the sun did not pass there and there was darkness. I felt the presence of a tiger, as if he comes behind me, I felt his invisible claws on my feet. I knew inside myself that I have to go through that dark passage in the jungle and meet invisible tiger face to face ...

The dream itself had positive effect and brought me joy and hope. Though it puzzled me. I think it is for the first time I saw such a dream with so many symbols as tiger, bull and lotus flower.

Please give me your ideas what these symbols might mean.
Hamsters and Rangers Everywhere, Rejoice! :prdog:

katie bridgewater

Re: Please help me to understand symbols in my dream

Postby katie bridgewater » 12 Dec 2010, 13:49

Dreams are usually easiest interpreted in context. By this I mean that the bull will almost certainly have a different meaning for someone who grew up in an inner city tower block away from any large creatures, than it will for someone whose job is cattle breeding. So the meaning of the symbols in your dream will be best known to you, if you know yourself.

Dreams can be a powerful way to connect with your own subconscious self, so perhaps this dream is a part of that journey. Archetypes are universal images that regularly reoccur for many people. The bull, the lotus flower and the tiger could all be considered as archetypes with specific meanings.

Also, dreams don't always (and indeed often can't be) need to be interpreted literally. Sometimes images are best understood without the use of clumsy language. They serve as reference points on a journey, and our response to them can inform us as to where we need to go next.

So, the fact that you describe this dream as 'wonderful' is indicative that there is nothing untoward to worry about or do in particular, IMO, just note that you are moving on in your journey towards self-integration.

Corwen

Postby Corwen » 12 Dec 2010, 13:58

First I saw a gray and a powerful bull, I approached him and passed along his body to his head and gently touched his head and his back curved horns, and then I sat down on the rain soaked ground - directly in front of the bull. The bull went down on his front legs as if bowing me.

The bull is an obviously masculine symbol, but its curved horns resemble the moon, so he can represent the union of masculine and feminine. You meet your Animus (the male within you, also the 'soul' you have yet to integrate) in a positive way here. The sitting and bowing shows mutual respect and reciprocity. You show respect first, by sitting on the ground (a meditative posture), the bull bows in return and shows his good intent. The rain soaked ground is a sign of fertility, that the ground is prepared and it is possible for seeds to germinate (representing growth and new beginnings).

After that, on the ground, I saw that creamy colored lotus blossomed, I immediately smelled it, the smell was special, but very very weak.

The Lotus is a complex symbol but in this context probably represents a spiritual unfolding, but coloured with the imagery of sexual union, the creamy colour and the word blossoming in your description contributing to me interpreting it in this way. The weakness of the scent (the most rarified part of the lotus probably representing its spiritual essence, the spirit you are seeking to integrate) is weak yet special, showing you are at the beginning of this journey but that it is important for you to pursue it. A lotus is also delicate and fragile, further underlining this. It is a water flower that grows up from the muddy water of the unconscious, so is a good symbol for unconscious components you are trying to integrate through your spirituality and personal growth.

After that I saw a narrow passage leading to the jungle, the light from the sun did not pass there and there was darkness. I felt the presence of a tiger, as if he comes behind me, I felt his invisible claws on my feet. I knew inside myself that I have to go through that dark passage in the jungle and meet invisible tiger face to face ...

A narrow passage to a jungle also has an obvious sexual relevance (I am tempted to joke that you'll be dreaming about trains going into tunnels next!). It is a feminine place, very womb like in your description. There is an initiatory quality to your meeting with this male Tiger, which is both anticipated ("I have to go"), and happenning in the present ("I felt his etc") in that dreamlike superposition of time states. This tiger is within you, ("inside myself"), he ("comes behind me") - a wonderfully unconsciously sexual turn of phrase if you don't mind me saying. He has claws, (analogous to your feet- showing he and you are in fact one thing), claws can also wound, showing this isn't an entirely safe or pain free process of integration (what growth is without pain).

As often happens in dreams this second chapter echos the first- the same meaning in different images, the tiger and the bull and the jungle and the lotus on its rain soaked ground in some way standing in for each other. The moon-like yet penetrative bull's horns and the moon like curved tiger's claws are equivalent. A very good dream to have in a time of spritual unfolding. Remember though that although the animus is experienced in dreams as if he were a separate entity, the union with the animus (anima in a man) is itself a symbol of joining with parts of yourself you haven't fully expressed in your conscious life. I should also say that it is possible this dream is about literal sex and the spiritual growth that comes from having a real life partner and actual sex, but only you will know what level these symbols are representing! The outer and inner worlds are often synchronistically linked in this way anyway and both physical and interior worlds may be following the same trajectory.
My Homepage, music, instrument making, articles, pilgrimage and more! http://www.ancientmusic.co.uk
My Blog: http://www.katecorwen.wordpress.com
My Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/KATEandCORWEN
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kate-Cor ... 840?ref=hl

Dendrias

Postby Dendrias » 12 Dec 2010, 16:38

Sometimes, Corwen, the interpretation says more about the interpreter than about the interpreted. :)
Sorry for joking, in fact, I think Your interpretation doesn't go too far away from the informations Barabell gives us. In my eyes, interpretation of dreams can only be done either by the dreamer or through the words the dreamer uses to describe the dream. The latter means to interpret a dream like any text.

Huathe

Postby Huathe » 12 Dec 2010, 19:59

Corwin,

Wonderful interpretation. Only Barabell will know if it feels right.

:yay:
James E Parton
Bardic Course Graduate - Ovate Student
New Order of Druids

" We all cry tears, we all bleed red "_Ronnie Dunn

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/
http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
http://www.burningman.com/

Barabell
OBOD Bard

Postby Barabell » 13 Dec 2010, 18:45

I agree that dreams need personal approach by the dreamer, but sometimes few hints and opinions help to see the whole picture.
I never used to live near the farm, so seeing such a noble looking gray bull was for me a pleasant surprise, it was something special than just a cow or a bull.
Also I didn't watch or read anything recently connected to animals or Chinese mythology or something like this, so it was so unusual to see dream with animals.
Katie Bridgewater, Dendrias, Hawthorn_Ent I very much appreciate your replies!!! I will take your advices!

Corwen, I really liked your interpretation! Thank you a lot, it really helped me to put together all the ideas I had about this dream.
I specially liked your idea of echoing of the chapters, I didn't think of this possibility. I wish I could interpret my dreams like you do.

I will keep dreaming!

Barabell
Hamsters and Rangers Everywhere, Rejoice! :prdog:

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 18 Dec 2010, 17:46

The lotus is very special. It's roots are deep underwater in mud, while its blossom rests on the water. Its blossom holds its seed. It's very often seen as the symbol of spiritual growth. We are always rooted in our past and in the mundane, yet can grow in beauty in the light. We hold our future in our present.

You can go in meditation back into your dream, connect with each part, and thus learn more about the meaning of the dream for you. You can become each element of the dream for more understanding - after all, each element is a part of you.

The mantra om mani padme hum translates as the jewel in the lotus. While the sexual connotation is fairly obvious, it more importantly means the spirit within the physical and therefore is frequently seen as a spiritual symbol.

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Return to “The Shamanic Druid”