LAKOTA FLIES AGAIN

A forum for discussion of the Shamanic path.
Forum rules
The focus of this forum is on the positive aspects of Shamanism, especially in connection with Druidry. Please feel free to discuss, ask questions and share your ideas and experiences. This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.

If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Petrichor
OBOD Ovate

LAKOTA FLIES AGAIN

Post by Petrichor » 08 Sep 2012, 03:10

Lakota was a fully grown Wedge-Tailed Eagle I was caring for following a collision with a car out on the open roads of the Midwest of Western Australia.
She was a fierce yet gentle creature that had sustained permanent injuries to her right wing and leg - subsequently she would never fly or walk properly again.
It was eventually decided that she would have to be euthanized ( vet's decision ) but we had spent several months together.
She allowed me to hand feed her kangaroo mince and it was my great privilege to gain her trust through this difficult time.

I was in attendance when she was eventually injected with the lethal dose .........
The vet wanted to cover her eyes but I insisted that I needed to look at her during the event.
Looking deep into her eyes I felt I was able to help her pass over into the Summer lands - where there will be no sky she cannot challenge.
She did not want to leave this world as she fought to the last breath.

Certain folks wanted her carcass to stuff for the local museum - but I pleaded for it and was reluctantly given charge after some duress .........
I buried her with great ceremony in a sacred spot in my yard - funny enough when I dug the hole I came to a large eucalypt root that I knew I would not be able to dig through - but it was at the right depth for her. I gently rested her head on it and slowly filled in the hole.
Directly on top of her grave now rests a 12 ton standing stone ( granite about 10 foot high ) and I am creating a metal sculpture portrait adjacent to the stone to mark her memory .

Before burying her I extracted the dominant flight feather from each of her wings to represent the element AIR at my altar - this has proven over the years to be a very powerful tribute and having a physical part of her still here has afforded me much meaning and purpose as I continue to work with the Totem.

This morning I woke to a brisk breeze that called me outside to hear the song of the eucalypt trees dancing in the wind.
It was at that moment that the feathers at my altar spoke to me - we wish to feel the breeze ....... we wish to feel the breeze .......
I went inside and took then up from my Altar.
Taking them outside they quickly grabbed the wind and twisted in my hands - I had to tighten my grip or they would have left my clasp.

I felt excited the energy built within me ........ it was uplifting and brought great joy.
I saw Her effortlessly gliding on the currents in my mind's eye ........

Lakota flies again - smiling with a slight tear in my eye .
Formerly - Zimran - Aracos - Petrichor

I AM AN OLD MAN
BUT I AM A YOUNG GARDINER
Albert Einstein

Blyth
OBOD Ovate

Re: LAKOTA FLIES AGAIN

Post by Blyth » 08 Sep 2012, 19:19

I found your words truly moving and inspirational. I am a novice Bard so still have a great deal to learn but I am grateful to you for sharing your experience as it means a great deal to me.
So glad Lakota is flying again......
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
— Mahatma Gandhi

Petrichor
OBOD Ovate

Post by Petrichor » 09 Sep 2012, 02:31

So is life M lady ........

All the experiences, people, animals, etc that we meet along the journey become part of our collective self.
Sort of like a weird jigsaw puzzle slowly taking shape.
She lives through me now - and I through her.
I was so glad we knew each other.

Many blessings to you and thanks for the kind words.

Petrichor
Formerly - Zimran - Aracos - Petrichor

I AM AN OLD MAN
BUT I AM A YOUNG GARDINER
Albert Einstein

Dragonling

Post by Dragonling » 09 Sep 2012, 04:34

What a beautiful, bittersweet story! Thank you for sharing. :)

Fly free, Lakota. :feather:

Return to “The Shamanic Druid”