Inner Castle Meditations

A forum for discussion of the Shamanic path.
Forum rules
The focus of this forum is on the positive aspects of Shamanism, especially in connection with Druidry. Please feel free to discuss, ask questions and share your ideas and experiences. This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.

If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
MountainGnome

Inner Castle Meditations

Postby MountainGnome » 22 Aug 2014, 08:39

For all of you who meditate, I wonder if you've encountered this technique which dates back at least to the Medieval era when alchemists agitated the church with their cryptic writings.

What's interesting about this, is that I have a book that goes into a pretty formal course for the individual to follow, and it incorporates Welsh imagery in the form of King Arthur, the Round Table, Merlin, Excalibur, etc.

The basic idea is that you build a castle through visualization when you meditate. It's your castle, and you're the king or queen, so really it's all up to your discretion here. But the castle represents your physical body, AND your subtle non-physical bodies. You do rituals in this castle and it sends messages to your subconscious. You have a throne room, with your throne in it, and this represents your heart and living in your heart space. When I begin this meditation I always appear on my throne, centering in my heart space. I have an upper floor which is like an office/library space, because this represents my thinking mind and knowledge. I have a lower floor that represents my lower chakras of willpower, sexual energy, survival instincts. And you can go up on top of the castle, above the office/library rooms, representing the crown chakra, open to the outside universe. This helps to create bodily awareness too.

The Tibetan Book of the Dead contains similar visualization techniques and you can incorporate lots of things into this. It can be a very powerful tool. I use it also to help me remember things. I put a bulletin board in my throne room, and when I want to remember something, I take some deep breaths, close my eyes, enter my castle, go over to my bulletin board and put up one or two-word memo notes with what I need to remember, written in BIG BOLD LETTERS (this is an NLP visualization technique -- you can apply these too). Then I imagine how they're positioned on my board, so I remember how many memos there are, and I go back to my throne and come out of meditation. This has worked so well for me that after I don't need to remember something anymore, I go back to the board and have to take down and burn and shrink the memos into tiny dust (another NLP technique!) just to be able to forget the no-longer-relevant information.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Re: Inner Castle Meditations

Postby DaRC » 01 Sep 2014, 13:13

That sounds very interesting - what's the book called and is it still in print?

If you've read some of the earlier books in Katherine Kerr's Deverry Cycle she describes a similar approach (but with more magical connotations).
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

MountainGnome

Postby MountainGnome » 01 Sep 2014, 21:45

It's called "The Tower of Alchemy," you can find its Amazon page here: http://www.amazon.com/The-Tower-Alchemy ... 1578631130

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 02 Sep 2014, 14:07

Added to my wishlist :grin: thank you
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Return to “The Shamanic Druid”