Wild boars slaughter in Poland

Post petitions and calls for action on Social, Environmental, Animal, and Political issues, from saving ancient sites and forests to civil rights around the world...
Corbiniane
OBOD Ovate

Re: Wild boars slaughter in Poland

Post by Corbiniane » 13 Jan 2019, 18:05

I've read up on the topic in the meantime and it seems that while wild boar do spread the disease (not boar to pig but through contaminating the environment surrounding pig farms), it's once again human beings' oblivious behaviour that is to blame. Like lobbing the Polish salami sausage into a waste bin (or worse into the woods) at any German motorway rest stop.
Unfortunately we can't do away with meat eaters and all who depend on animal based products (lots of gelatin etc in cosmetics and drugs) and animal farms and people who live off them with a snap of the fingers. Those are processes, they need time.
***always edited for autocorrects and poorly chosen words***

"I have no special talents. I'm just passionately curious" ~ Albert Einstein

ImageImage
Image 2018 BS 2018 LI 2018 SB

frostmoon
OBOD Bard

Post by frostmoon » 13 Jan 2019, 20:36

I heard about the board culling in Poland this morning. It makes me incredibly sad, and then I'm hit by a wave of resignation. Reports like these keep coming in year after year, and no amounts of being vegetarian or reducing the use of plastic in the family or any of these personal scope measures seem to stop any of these things from happening. The frustrating thing is that the best we can do is to change on an individual level ... but an individual is still only one drop in a great, wide, sour sea. And taking a look at my fellow people around where I live doesn't exactly inspire much hope or courage for the future. :(

mitsubachi
OBOD Bard

Post by mitsubachi » 13 Jan 2019, 21:04

frostmoon wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 20:36
I heard about the board culling in Poland this morning. It makes me incredibly sad, and then I'm hit by a wave of resignation. Reports like these keep coming in year after year, and no amounts of being vegetarian or reducing the use of plastic in the family or any of these personal scope measures seem to stop any of these things from happening. The frustrating thing is that the best we can do is to change on an individual level ... but an individual is still only one drop in a great, wide, sour sea. And taking a look at my fellow people around where I live doesn't exactly inspire much hope or courage for the future. :(
You are feeling frustrated because you've been working only as an individual. That tactic has never worked in the history of change.

Likewise, for years and years groups spread the lie that if you just gave them a donation they would work on the problem (pick one) for you. That strategy doesn't work because it only seeks incremental change. Over the past 50 years, all those manageable problems have grown and have now become urgent.

We do have many case studies of what works. Collective action. Targeted action. Continuous action. Find a group of like minded people doing things rather than just talking. Join them as a participant rather than as a donor. The Extinction Rebellion people are expanding to other countries. They sound very promising to me. But there are other groups out there. Some very local and very targeted but doing great work. For example, there is a little group of a couple dozen activists in my city that nearly single handedly got the last coal powered plant shut down.

EDIT: The members weren't all holding protest signs. Some did research. Others attended city council meetings. Some were doing social media. You get the picture. There is room for all kinds of talents and personalities. But they won because they had one main issue and put in a sustained effort.

Just don't give up.

frostmoon
OBOD Bard

Post by frostmoon » 15 Jan 2019, 19:05

Thank you for your kind words, mitsubachi. It's easy to lose hope under the circumstances of modern day life but it's important to remember what we're fighting for... because if we don't do something, then who will? Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by both thoughts of HOW MUCH remains to be done (and that pile is growing every day) and what I can personally actually do. Not even just on the level of individual life choices but also, as you put it, in terms of skills and abilities. I'm not someone who goes to demonstrations to shout, I'm not a big socialite and I don't have enough money to fund any kind of project, eco or not. Part of the battle seems to be to figure out not only what needs to be done, but how it can effectively be achieved in the long run.

And I agree with you - giving up never helped anyone. :)

mitsubachi
OBOD Bard

Post by mitsubachi » 15 Jan 2019, 19:26

I share similar feelings. Horror at the mass destruction. Doubt that I have much to offer.

But that last one needs to be banished away. I have found the trick to keeping in balance is to pick one thing at a time, find at least one other person to help and give myself a time limit or measurable goal. If there is literally nobody you know in your area consider joining in Greenpeace's campaign to get everyone talking about plastic. It is working and success provides a nice sense of accomplishment. Gathering up those positive feelings helps fuel the next thing I will attempt.

Return to “Action Alerts: What can YOU do?”