Search Engine alternative

Post petitions and calls for action on Social, Environmental, Animal, and Political issues, from saving ancient sites and forests to civil rights around the world...
Chris Hickman
OBOD Bard

Search Engine alternative

Post by Chris Hickman » 24 Jan 2019, 18:56

I've been looking for an alternative to Google as my preferred search engine and have come across a search engine that has a ecological focus. I didn't realise how much of a carbon footprint google had! plus I'm not a great fan of the Google giant. https://www.ecosia.org/ Launched in 2009, is a Co2-neutral alternative. With every search made, the social business uses the revenue generated to go towards its tree-planting scheme. On average, 45 searches are needed to make a single tree.

Much of the engine itself is powered by Bing.

Take a look and see what you think, I'm happy with it so far. It's only a small thing but "every little helps as the lady said that Pe**d in the Sea!" :whistle:
"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and the stars mirrored in your own being." Rumi

Yours in the peace of the grove
Chris /|\

Enz
OBOD Ovate

Re: Search Engine alternative

Post by Enz » 24 Jan 2019, 21:38

Philip did a piece on this last year: https://www.philipcarr-gomm.com/switch- ... to-ecosia/

I tried it but i'm too tied into the google ecosystem and reverted back o google. :(
We stand between the candle and the stars.
Blessings, have a great day.

Chris Hickman
OBOD Bard

Post by Chris Hickman » 25 Jan 2019, 14:25

I tried it but i'm too tied into the google ecosystem and reverted back o google. :(
I understand your dilemma, google are very good at tying you in to there ecosystem. I've recently got fed up of the large number of irrelevant Ad links that now proliferate the page whenever I search. The other annoyance is when google give you links that look as if they are relevant but when you follow them they do not have any relationship to your search. Finally, the carbon foot-print of Google is vast.

If I get lured back to google I'll let you all know. :tiphat:
"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and the stars mirrored in your own being." Rumi

Yours in the peace of the grove
Chris /|\

Raven
OBOD Bard

Post by Raven » 24 Feb 2019, 09:59

Chris Hickman wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 14:25
Finally, the carbon foot-print of Google is vast.
This is interesting to me, I never knew... why is that? I’ve never taken to bing but I like the idea of your alternative, planting trees, so it’s enough to convert me!
🌲
If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but for the passionate sense of the potential, for the eye which, ever young and ardent, sees the possible. Pleasure disappoints, possibility never. And what wine is so sparkling, what so fragrant, what so intoxicating, as possibility!” ~ Søren Kierkegaard

Dru*
OBOD Ovate

Post by Dru* » 02 Mar 2019, 11:57

Chris Hickman wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 14:25
...Finally, the carbon foot-print of Google is vast.
Actually, Google - much like Microsoft which runs Bing, which powers Ecosia's search - claims to be carbon neutral in its operations. I say "claims" consciously, because there's much that's questionable about the practice of carbon accounting. And there's no doubt that these giants consume vast quantities of resources quite aside from carbon. So there are many good reasons to choose Ecosia, but Microsoft being better than Google isn't one of them.

If you want to get a handle on the true scale of how Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Facebook and Apple completely dominate the world of technology, and consequently reach into pretty much every part of our lives in any unshakeable way, this article is illuminating and thought-provoking:

https://gizmodo.com/life-without-the-te ... 1830258056
"There are no unsacred places;
there are only sacred places
and desecrated places."
~ Wendell Berry

Return to “Action Alerts: What can YOU do?”