sinking beneath a pile of rubbish

This subforum is for discussions of any issues and concerns that impact the environment, such as biodiversity, global climate change, genetically engineered plants and animals, human population, animal and nature conservation, natural disasters, etc.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Dragon

sinking beneath a pile of rubbish

Postby Dragon » 25 Jun 2012, 21:08

I live in a lovely part of Scotland: Rivers, valleys, mountains, pine forests and
rubbish. (I won't mention the unmentionable on pavements, it might spoil your supper).
Fag ends, beer cans, plastic bottles, take-away containers, beer cans, and er more beer cans.
That's just the railway line. Rivers are home to all sorts of things from cars to fridges or gates, bikes, scooters, trolleys.
The lovely parcel of land (that would make a good grove) next to my railway station is overgrown and home to years of rubbish.

When I came here seven years ago I raised enough fuss to get the river and station line cleared. We now have a bin on the station and road too.
When the MP visits the place is pristine of course.

I wonder, short of starting a seed group campaign, what else can I do to change people's environmental awareness?
Are there any Druid groups who have experienced similar in their local and have some tips for reclaiming the land/rail-track/river/scrap land?
I reckon the parcel of overgrown land I mentioned would make a good community Druid Grove but how do I go about finding out who owns it?
Not the council for sure! And if I do find out, what then?

I hope all you environmentally aware people will give some advice and tips. :idea:

Erithe
OBOD Bard

Re: sinking beneath a pile of rubbish

Postby Erithe » 25 Jun 2012, 21:42

- Talk to a local school about outings for kids to go see really beautiful landscapes, then take them to view what selfish people do. Kids tend to talk to their parents.

- Do a Kickstarter or one of the charity site runs to raise money and raise awareness. Post pics on Redditt with a description of the issue.

- Send the MP pics of what his area looks like when he's not there.

Are there any Scottish environmental groups who do cleanups?

"We are happy when for everything inside us there is a corresponding something outside us."
~ William Butler Yeats

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 26 Jun 2012, 02:22

I totally agree with getting the kids in on it. They tend to be the wiser of us...
Its funny to me that I ran across this post at the moment I did. My husband and I just walked in from cleaning up a local park. We live in a pretty rough neighborhood, and well...it looks rough. Our park doesn't even have a trash can for all the rubbish to go into. We've decided to take matters into our own hands. Literally.
My husband has been trying to gather the neighborhood to find ways in which we can make the area a more desirable to live in. A man had an idea to make this rough park our base, and my husband and I thought it would be a wise choice to keep it clean.
I've noticed when we're down there picking up the place, the kids will stop and watch. A few will question, a couple helped. Some of the older ones will compliment. I guarantee the majority of them will think twice before throwing more trash on the ground. Just the fact that we've gotten their minds in action is good to me.
So far, I've found leading by example and communicating what we're doing and why is helping...slowly but surely. :D

Kishi
OBOD Bard

Postby Kishi » 26 Jun 2012, 08:54

It's a great idea to appeal to kids to help get the message across, as long as they believe in the message themselves.

Here's a Thai anti-smoking commercial on YouTube that makes effective use of kids http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHH2LsAHeHc
'Would to God that all the Lord's people were prophets' Numbers 11:29

katie bridgewater

Postby katie bridgewater » 26 Jun 2012, 11:49

I have a friend in the US, Ethan Huges, who started the Superhero movement. It began when he was litter picking on a beach and decided to wear a Super hero cape while doing so. This got the attention of kids, who love whacky things, and went on to kick-start a movement that now has hundreds of participants going round the US on bicycles and 'doing service'.

So why not try it - dress as a Superhero, litter pick, and see what happens.

Incidentally, you won't find much about Ethan's work on the net - he doesn't use computers, mobile phones or mains or anything but if you Google Possibility Alliance, you might find the odd interview or article. So it is testament to his litter-picking in a cape idea that I am on the other side of the world from him and his wife Sarah (and bearing in mind none of us would even consider getting into an aeroplane!), and yet I consider them to be the 2 most influential people I have ever met in my life. And it all started with litter-picking on his local beach. They now run a community called the Possibility Alliance where they inspire other people to live in a sustainable and ethical way. You never know, this might just be the beginning for you, Dragon.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 26 Jun 2012, 18:07

Ha! I really like the idea of the Superhero costume...may be something I think about next time I'm out trash collecting...

Return to “Environmental Issues”