Global Warming '95% Certain', Say Scientists

This subforum is for discussions of any issues and concerns that impact the environment, such as biodiversity, global climate change, genetically engineered plants and animals, human population, animal and nature conservation, natural disasters, etc.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
treegod
OBOD Druid

Global Warming '95% Certain', Say Scientists

Postby treegod » 27 Sep 2013, 10:42

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Re: Global Warming '95% Certain', Say Scientists

Postby DJ Droood » 27 Sep 2013, 13:45

I'm certainly as convinced as a layman can be...as convinced as I am other other things I don't really understand like Evolution or the Moon landing....(when the deniers start pointing to links saying that 98% of climate scientists now agree there is nothing to worry about, I might change my opinion) I don't think how I feel about it makes much difference, however...the climate situation (or Evolution, for that matter) is what it is and doesn't require my consent. I am a pessimist as far as what I think we can do about human-caused climate change. The waters have been too muddied by counter-propaganda for any sort of global poilitcal or economic shift...just listen to talk radio on any given day and the petroleum company reps...errr...talk show hosts...are spreading their dissinformation and getting grumpy old people to call in and say *they* aren't going to support bike lanes and solar power! It's all communist nonsense! So yea...I don't think humanity will do anything until New York is underwater...then, of course, it will be too late. (prolly already is) Is pessimistic fatalism allowed in Druidry? :-|
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Mountainheart
OBOD Bard

Re: Global Warming '95% Certain', Say Scientists

Postby Mountainheart » 27 Sep 2013, 17:29

I'm certainly as convinced as a layman can be...as convinced as I am other other things I don't really understand like Evolution or the Moon landing....(when the deniers start pointing to links saying that 98% of climate scientists now agree there is nothing to worry about, I might change my opinion) I don't think how I feel about it makes much difference, however...the climate situation (or Evolution, for that matter) is what it is and doesn't require my consent. I am a pessimist as far as what I think we can do about human-caused climate change. The waters have been too muddied by counter-propaganda for any sort of global poilitcal or economic shift...just listen to talk radio on any given day and the petroleum company reps...errr...talk show hosts...are spreading their dissinformation and getting grumpy old people to call in and say *they* aren't going to support bike lanes and solar power! It's all communist nonsense! So yea...I don't think humanity will do anything until New York is underwater...then, of course, it will be too late. (prolly already is) Is pessimistic fatalism allowed in Druidry? :-|
I pretty much agree with you: but the earth has a habit of rebalancing itself and things like the weakening of the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation due to diluted saline levels caused by melting fresh water ice could have a reversing affect.

Parts of the world may become uninhabitable; whilst at the same time parts which are now unattractively cold, may become more habitable. Sensible assisted migration may be a better solution than fighting hard to protect some coastal cities or drought devastated areas. Whether there would be the political will for that is another question.

Return to “Environmental Issues”