Ogham Studies - Ailim (Fir, Pine)

Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Ogham Studies - Ailim (Fir, Pine)

Postby Fitheach » 02 Feb 2007, 02:38

:ailim:

Your insights, experiences and inspirations on the mighty pine and fir trees!

Ailim

The Stalwart young Fir,
And the brave Scot’s Pine,
Tall, straight-limbed are
valiant trees in their prime.

Sentinel of the mountains,
Warrior of the plains,
Guardian of the glens,
Where these hardy trees reign.

When Fir and Pine stand guard
Their ramparts, none can scale.
Their wood, strong, straight and hard
Against them none prevail.
Tha gliocas an ceann an fhitich
Image Image Image

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Postby Dryadia2 » 12 Apr 2007, 23:16

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city on earth - Steve McQueen

Serpentia
OBOD Ovate

Re: Ogham Studies - Ailim (Fir, Pine)

Postby Serpentia » 29 Dec 2010, 10:17

The last ones are the most difficult.. to me, Fir and Pine are very different energies - considering we have lots of them in Germany, they are easy to "feel out". Interestingly enough, Emma Restall-Orr writes on this: "Interestingly Pennick associates Ailm with Elm (Ogham & Coelbren p. 58 – Capall Bann) and there is a certain appeal to this argument. However, many who use Ogham associate it with some form of Fir or Pine tree. Although the species was I believe only introduced into these islands in the late 17th Century I have chosen to work with Silver Fir, mainly due to the lack of Scots Pine in my location in England. Whether working with Fir or Pine, many qualities and characteristics are similar, Silver Fir bearing spiny needles and cones which change colour with age throughout the year. Fir offers a vision of the possibilities before us, showing us pathways that we may tread. Yet it offers no guidance as to those paths, and does not distinguish whether we may find ourselves facing joy and elation or hurt and grief by following certain paths. In that way it holds objectivity, but no more than we hold within ourselves. By allowing us perspectives that we may otherwise fail to see, or deliberately ignore, it gives us information that may be considered of a divinatory nature. (CC)

Elm being a very old and native tree in Germany, with strong mythological roots in Germanic lore, I think I may just go with that instead....
Facilitator of www.druidryonline.de, the NEW German Druid Community on the web

MiriamSPia

Postby MiriamSPia » 08 Jan 2011, 22:20

Here, again I am puzzled about specific or general this is meant to be. Right here in this German village there are at least 4 different types of conifer within half a mile/2Km, let alone if we explore the entire town.

There are two main distinctions I have noticed. The soft needles, and the sharp needles. The other major difference in foliage is that there is a more silvery or grey type of needle and then a greener needle. Sometimes the grey is described as blue.

Is one of these a fir, and the other a?

Are all of these supposed to be included by the ogham letter? :oops: OK, so I just looked it up in the book and really its the Scots Pine...but is it only the Scots Pine or would any of you use it more widely? Now, here is something that I may ask my tutor!

Huathe

Postby Huathe » 09 Jan 2011, 04:12

Here in the North Carolina Mountains, Eastern White Pine is the tallest pine and the tallest tree. ENTS discovered and measured the tallest one known in the Eastern US. It is called the Boogerman Pine or " The Boog " for short and measured a whopping 207 feet tall before losing it's top in a storm. It was last measured at 188.8 feet. By a small margin, still the tallest tree known in the Eastern US.

Fraser Fir is found in the boreal zone above 5000 feet in the high Appalachians of NC. It shares it with Red Spruce and Rowan.

White Pine_Hendersonville NC.jpg
White Pine_Hendersonville NC.jpg (93.7 KiB) Viewed 3684 times
Fraser Fir on Waterrock Knob NC.jpg
Fraser Fir on Waterrock Knob NC.jpg (52.21 KiB) Viewed 3684 times
James E Parton
Bardic Course Graduate - Ovate Student
New Order of Druids

" We all cry tears, we all bleed red "_Ronnie Dunn

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/
http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
http://www.burningman.com/

Snægl
OBOD Ovate

Postby Snægl » 24 Nov 2011, 05:09

Another white pine (pinus strobus) fan here! The woods behind our home are full of these beauties—and to think I was a little disappointed when such a "normal" tree called to me! White pines were once the tallest trees in North America, but were cut for ship masts during the age of exploration; today, none of these giant specimens remain, although the white pine population as a whole is quite healthy since it is a fast-growing species. They are a favorite of commercial tree farms for lumber, although this has indirectly led to the extermination of wild gooseberry plants, as they harbor a type of rust deadly to white pines. White Pine needles contain five times the amount of Vitamin C (by weight) of lemons and make an excellent tisane (at least according to wikipedia).

On the esoteric level, white pine has a cool green/white feel to me. The Iroquois called them the Tree of Peace, and calm is exactly what I feel sheltering under their branches. They are watchful, and give me a sense of clarity, leading me to associate them with the element Air.
Forþan bið andgit æghwær selest ferðes foreþanc. :zen:
Therefore, in every respect understanding is best, and deliberation of spirit.
-- Beowulf 1059–1060
ImageImageThe Druid's Well Blog

Susanne
OBOD Ovate

Postby Susanne » 24 Nov 2011, 13:28

They are watchful, and give me a sense of clarity, leading me to associate them with the element Air.
Well said, I absolutely agree! One of my favorite sounds is hearing the wind in the white pines. :D

Return to “The Ogham Library”