Ogham Studies - Nuin (Ash)

Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Ogham Studies - Nuin (Ash)

Postby Fitheach » 16 Jul 2006, 17:48

Hill of Tara, Ireland

:nuin:

Please post your experiences, stories, poetry, artwork, inspirations, medittions, etc. with the mighty Ash tree!

Nuin

The mighty warrior Ash,
Provided wood for Nuada’s spear
And arrows for the archer’s cache
Wooden weaponry to fear.

Druid wands that hold the key
To unleash power of the will,
Ash promotes creativity.
But, take care, and do no ill!

Ash, the Tree of Destiny,
Planted near the holy well,
Branches tied with clooties,
A place where fairies dwell.
Tha gliocas an ceann an fhitich
Image Image Image

Keriann

Postby Keriann » 03 Sep 2006, 19:02

According to the 'Auraicept':

Word Ogham of Morann Mac Main here. Cosdad sida, checking of peace, that is nin, ash, n: it is the maw of a weaver’s beam as applied to wood: a sign of peace is that. A checking of peace with him is that from the ash of the weaver’s beam.

Alphabet of word-oghams of Mac ind Oic here below. Bag ban, fight of women, ash, n, of weaver’s beam, i.e., maw of weaver’s beam. Hence for its cognate letter.

THIS IS SOW OGHAM: blue n.

RIVER-POOL OGHAM: Nith n.

FORTRESS OGHAM: Nephin.

BIRD OGHAM: naescu snipe.

COLOUR OGHAM: necht clear.

CHURCH OGHAM:Noendruim.

MAN (HUMAN BEING) OGHAM: five heroes

WOMAN OGHAM: five heroines

AGRICULTURAL OGHAM: nasc ring.

WATER OGHAM: five rivulets

DOG OGHAM: five watch-dogs

OX OGHAM: five bulls

COW OGHAM: five milch-cows

SAINT OGHAM: Neasan.

ART OGHAM: notary work.
Image :oakleaves: :luis: :wolf:

'Nothing is forgotten...
Nothing is ever forgotten...'

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Postby Dryadia2 » 12 Apr 2007, 22:57

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city on earth - Steve McQueen

Creirwy
OBOD Ovate

Re: Ogham Studies - Nuin (Ash)

Postby Creirwy » 19 Jun 2008, 14:59

Ash is always the Tree of Life to me, and whenever it appears in my ogham readings I find its always about brining things into fruition... like its energy is a key, it gives us courage and energy to bring an idea into reality. Its a surging energy that can get very restless when you try to ignore it lol.

Nuin to me also makes me reexamine my idea of the three worlds. Ash reminds me to walk away from my head and what I 'think' is there, or even when i've 'experienced' is there, it just is, its there its true. Say even when I'm not 'thinking' like a druid (sitting under trees and calling ritual space) , I am a druid in my heart so druidry will always be part of me so my life is always druidic. Thats like a fact of life that Ash to me represents, like the 3 worlds, like we'll always need to be warriors and be brave in our lives, and we'll always need a key or two hehe.

The keys bring to my mind locks. Doors to be locked and walked away from, doors to be opened and embraced. Are they new or ones you've been in and out of lots of times.

Just some tree ramblings

Serpentia
OBOD Ovate

Re: Ogham Studies - Nuin (Ash)

Postby Serpentia » 17 Nov 2010, 09:19

Whether it's the Ash now or the Yew after all, opinions differ and so I made up my mind that it's the Ash and along with the Ash, which abounds here in the middle of Germany, I also study the legends surrounding Yggdrasil, the World Tree or Axis, with its nine worlds and the stories (Eddas) surrounding it. Fascinating angle, because it shows just how essential to our ancestors survival, both practical and spiritual, trees were. Truly venerable in the sense of the word.

Serpentia, tree-hugger par excellence
Facilitator of www.druidryonline.de, the NEW German Druid Community on the web

Return to “The Ogham Library”