Ogham Studies - Huath (Hawthorn)

Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Ogham Studies - Huath (Hawthorn)

Post by Fitheach » 23 Jul 2006, 05:47

Hawthorn, Chalice Well, Glastonbury, England

Please post your inspirations about this magical tree!

:huathe:

Huathe

The laughing fairy Hawthorn,
Where the Sidhe meet on the First of May,
And maidens gather dew, the morn
Of this auspicious day.

White and Pink flowers adorn,
The garland of a maiden fair,
With the calling of the hunter’s horn,
Beneath the tree, she meets her Laird.

Hawthorn betokens revelry
All on a summer’s eve,
Beneath this holy thorn tree
Faerie magic begins to weave.
Tha gliocas an ceann an fhitich
Image Image Image

Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Post by Fitheach » 03 Aug 2006, 02:43

This is a meditation I wrote, using the energies of Hawthorn and Blackthorn in healing:

Healing with Thorn Trees

Next time you are ill or depressed, imagine lying on your pallet, and in the dark of night, two eldritch sisters enter the room, one dressed in black, the other in white.  The dark older sister, Draighean , (Blackthorn), assesses your illness with a calculating experienced eye.  She moves her sinewy, dark hands quickly over your body, touching points here and there, causing you acute pain.  She mutters strange incantations under her breath in a low, crackling voice, and draws the ogham for blackthorn in the air over your body, then blows through it, and you feel the chill of her breath.  She is frightening, but you must trust her if you are to heal.  All the negative images you’ve ever held rise out of your subconscious like eerie phantom characters in a Samhain festival. The night grows old and dawn approaches.  Weary, the elder sister steps back and the gentle Huath, (Hawthorn) takes her place.  Dressed in white, with long bright hair, she lays a cool gentle hand on your brow, muttering her own incantations in a sweet bell-like voice.  She draws the ogham for Hawthorn above your body, and the warmth of her breath caresses you.  The phantoms recede with the light, and the pain eases. As she sweeps her pale hands up and down your body, touching the same spots her dark sister had, the pain vanishes and you feel refreshed.  You fall into an easy, restful sleep as the sisters leave your chamber, their work done.

Keriann

Post by Keriann » 03 Sep 2006, 19:09

According to the 'Auraicept':

Word Ogham of Morann Mac Main here. Conal cuan, pack of wolves, that is uath, thorn h, for a terror to any one is a pack of wolves. Conal cuan said of the Ogham h, owing to the affinity of the name, for they are a thorn, in the same way.

Alphabet of word-oghams of Mac ind Oic here below. Banadh gnuisi, blanching of face, fear, huath, h, for blanched is a man’s face when he is encompassed with fear or terror. Hence for the Ogham letter owing to identity of name between the same two, uath stands for each of them.

THIS IS SOW OGHAM: Group H. Accompanying litter of a white (i.e. milch-) sow h

RIVER-POOL OGHAM: Group H. h-Othain (Fahan) h

FORTRESS OGHAM: Group H. h-Ocha

BIRD OGHAM: Group H. Aadaig night raven (?)

COLOUR OGHAM: Group H. huath terrible

CHURCH OGHAM: Group H. h-Irard (Cluain)

MAN (HUMAN BEING) OGHAM: Minna nobles (or women) or clerics for group H, i.e., a woman

WOMAN OGHAM: Nuns for group H. [one]

AGRICULTURAL OGHAM: Group H. huartan

WATER OGHAM: Weir for group H

DOG OGHAM: Greyhound for group H, one greyhound

OX OGHAM: Ox for group H, one ox

COW OGHAM: Stripper for group H, one stripper

BLIND MAN OGHAM: Group H to the left side.  

FOOT OGHAM: To the left for group H.

SAINT OGHAM: H-Adamnan

ART OGHAM: Trisyllabic poetry
Image :oakleaves: :luis: :wolf:

'Nothing is forgotten...
Nothing is ever forgotten...'

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Post by Dryadia2 » 12 Apr 2007, 22:59

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city on earth - Steve McQueen

Lora
OBOD Ovate

Re: Ogham Studies - Huath (Hawthorn)

Post by Lora » 21 Nov 2007, 22:37

Where I live, I find hawthorn in lots of places, it's pretty abundant, but in windy locations with few trees I often notice a hawthorn or two dotted around, its shape often indicating the most common direction of the wind as if it's hunched over.

Here's a pic of a small one, more a bush than a tree, on Bodmin Moor very near to the Hurlers stone circle - the pic turned out to have quite a strange quality to the light (it was sunny at the time, you wouldn't know it from the photo).
Attachments
hawthorn.jpg
hawthorn.jpg (74.06 KiB) Viewed 4284 times

Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Re: Ogham Studies - Huath (Hawthorn)

Post by Fitheach » 21 Nov 2007, 23:54

Lovely photo, thanks! I'm also intrigued by Bodman Moor.
Tha gliocas an ceann an fhitich
Image Image Image

Return to “The Ogham Library”