Ogham Studies - Duir (Oak)

Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Ogham Studies - Duir (Oak)

Postby Fitheach » 30 Jul 2006, 18:15

ImageArthur Young Trail, Kerry, Ireland

And now we come to our Noble Druid Oak.  Please post your experiences and inspiration about this incredible tree!

:duir:
Duir

The Noble Druid Oak
That stands among the ancient stones.
The legendary spells evoked,
Lie silent with their buried bones.

But tree and stone together
Have conspired a new age
And born again are Druids
Who are turning a new page.

For the magic of the world
Cannot be thrown away
The mystery is again unfurled
And the Oak shall lead the way.

OakWyse
OBOD Druid

The Hospitality of the Oak

Postby OakWyse » 31 Jul 2006, 14:04

I am the hospitality of the Oak,
        spreading to the sky my great canopy of leaf and branch,
     inviting the nesting of a thousand species in my regal crown.
                   Beneath the earth, a thousand more
              root and tunnel through a netherland of life.
                            I am the World Tree.
I stand between the worlds with feet in the earth and arms in the skies.
             The mid-world I create is home to all creatures,
                 and my groves Home to the Gods.

(C) 1998, OakWyse
from "The Nine Virtues"
Last edited by OakWyse on 31 Jul 2006, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.

OakWyse
OBOD Druid

Becoming

Postby OakWyse » 31 Jul 2006, 14:11

Becoming

I am the flower of an oak waving gaily in the spring breeze
I am a watering brook
I am the sun's warming ray
I am the fall of an acorn
I am the forest mulch
I am autumn rain and winter snow
I am a snowdrop in the shadow of the tree
I am a green shoot
I am a young taproot
I am a sapling in the forest light
I am the turning of the years
I am a nesting bird
I am the protection of gnarled bark
I am a spreading canopy
I am sap rising
I am the flower of an oak waving gaily in the spring breeze
I am the interdependence of all things
I am whole

(C) 1999, OakWyse

Use each line as a focus for meditation on succeeding days.

The Old Oaks, Gog & Magog, Glastonbury below the Tor

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 31 Jul 2006, 22:58

Hi Oak,

I love your poem, "Becoming". I've copied it out to use.

Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Keriann

Postby Keriann » 03 Sep 2006, 19:15

According to the 'Auraicept':

Word Ogham of Morann Mac Main here. Ardam dossaibh, highest of bushes, that is dur, oak, d, with respect to its wood in the forest. Trian, t, another thing the meaning of that today.

Alphabet of word-oghams of Mac ind Oic here below. Gres sair, carpenter’s work, oak, d. Hence it was put for its cognate Ogham letter.

THIS IS SOW OGHAM: Accompanying litter of a white (i.e. milch-) grey d

RIVER-POOL OGHAM: Dergderg d

FORTRESS OGHAM: Dinn Rig

BIRD OGHAM: droen wren

COLOUR OGHAM: dub black

CHURCH OGHAM: Durrow

MAN (HUMAN BEING) OGHAM: two minna nobles (or women) or clerics

WOMAN OGHAM: two nuns

AGRICULTURAL OGHAM: dabach cask

WATER OGHAM: two weirs

DOG OGHAM: two greyhounds

OX OGHAM: two oxen

COW OGHAM: two strippers

SAINT OGHAM: Donnan

ART OGHAM: wizardry
Image :oakleaves: :luis: :wolf:

'Nothing is forgotten...
Nothing is ever forgotten...'

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Postby Dryadia2 » 12 Apr 2007, 23:01

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city on earth - Steve McQueen

Lora
OBOD Ovate

Re: Ogham Studies - Duir (Oak)

Postby Lora » 21 Nov 2007, 22:54

Does anyone who has worked with various oak species think that they have quite a different feel to them? I sat by a Quercus coccinea (American) in a botanical garden and felt quite strongly energised by sitting by it, yet I've not really got this 'fiery' sense ever from Quercus robur (British). One big difference besides the fact that the leaves are lobed in a different way is that Q. coccinea is a much faster growing tree. So can we really talk generally about oak, when there are those differences, and also trees such as the Mediterranean-origin holm oak which is different again because it's evergreen? I know that the ogham duir would have been a native type, just thinking aloud about oak in general.

LadyCelt

Postby LadyCelt » 22 Nov 2007, 04:05

This magnificent oak lives at Middleton Place Plantation, South Carolina. I didn't take this picture, but I've been in the presence of this creature and have been humbled beyond words.
"I wasn't born to live someone else's idea of my life." ~ Carolan Ivey
Ord Brighideach: Image Image Image

Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Postby Fitheach » 22 Nov 2007, 19:45

What an incredible photo! And, what a treat to live within it's influence!
Tha gliocas an ceann an fhitich
Image Image Image

sirius
OBOD Ovate

Postby sirius » 03 Oct 2008, 12:54

Hi Folks, I have a close connection to the oak, I had quite a miraculous experience with the oak, it is on the forum, but I will tell it again for those on the Ogham studies.
I have practiced Tibetan Buddhism for many years, tho I have achieved much through this practice there was something missing, and that was a true connection to my Ancestors and the land I was born on.
SO about a couple of months ago I was on a week long Buddhist retreat, during my retreat the same questions were coming up about the ancestors, Also I really felt disconnected with what I was doing, I have never felt this so strong before.
I came home after the retreat feeling confused, Anyway not long after, I was at work, and on this particular day was getting ready to go home after a days work, I started putting on my motorcycle clothing, as I was putting on the jacket, I felt something long and hard in the lining of the coat, strange! I had to pull away part of lining to get at the object, What I found,gave me shivers up my spine, It was an Ogham stave, with the Ogham duir(oak) carved on to it, I have had this leather motorcycle Jacket for years, and I had bought it new, I have never seen the stave before, how on earth did it get in the lining of the Jacket, I have put this jacket on hundreds of times and never felt anything in the lining. So feeling rather odd, I put the stave in my pocket. I was just about to go home, when I realized I had to see a work colleague, so I went to his office in the sculpture department, as I walked in,I looked on his desk, and could not believe what I saw, on his desk was a beautiful oak carving of three oak leaves with three acorns, I said, that's nice, my colleague said, O! yes, i found this amongst some scrap furniture, and thought you may like it, I was going to post it to you in the university internal mail. but beings you are here, you may as well take it. well! you could have knocked me over with a feather, I thought, OK, the ancestors are giving me a prod, so I thought I better take notice, so I enrolled on the OBOD course, and feel so at home. sorry to you folks who may have read this already, bright blessings, Sirius.
You are the ultimate authority of your own experience.

Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Postby Fitheach » 03 Oct 2008, 22:44

What a wonderful, Druidic story! Thank you for posting it here. :)
Tha gliocas an ceann an fhitich
Image Image Image

Serpentia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Serpentia » 23 Nov 2010, 13:39

The Middleton Oak? How stupid of me, how could I forget? It has always been my favourite place there, I actually have a picture of me in her arms, so to say...

In a country where the woods are filled with oak, the one that means the most to me is in the US..but then, I have a hard time with Oaks, they are not my kind of tree at all, somehow. Here in Germany we have so much Oak lore, I just filled three pages in my Ogham book with it.

Serpentia
Something about oaks and snakes, maybe?
Facilitator of www.druidryonline.de, the NEW German Druid Community on the web

Huathe

Postby Huathe » 23 Nov 2010, 17:31

Ladycelt, All.

The Middleton Oak is indeed a splendid tree and one of the largest by volume in the eastern US. ENTS did a canopy mapping project of it back in 2004. The tree lost a major limb about three years ago.

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/projec ... onproj.htm

One of my favorites is the Angel Oak, which is also in the Charleston area, on St. Johns Island. It is among the oldest of the Southern Live Oaks. It is probably the most beautiful individual tree I have had the pleasure of beholding. I must get back down to see her.

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/fieldt ... el_oak.htm
http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=1554

For anyone interested in oak trees, especially Live Oak, check out the ENTS Live Oak Project, headed by Larry Tucei.

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/projec ... iveoak.htm

Also Jeroen Philippona and Kouta Rasanen ( Two ENTS members in Europe ) have taken some nice pictures and measurements of huge English Oaks in various European locations.

http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=198&t=748

We Druids should be proud of our association with the Oak. It is indeed among the mightiest and wisest of the trees.
James E Parton
Bardic Course Graduate - Ovate Student
New Order of Druids

" We all cry tears, we all bleed red "_Ronnie Dunn

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/
http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
http://www.burningman.com/

merryb
OBOD Ovate

Postby merryb » 23 Nov 2010, 21:00

Gog at glastonbury is dead, or nearly so, I like to imagine him now free and striding with gaint steps across the landscape. I also feel he will always return to Glastonbury to Magog until she is ready to leave and join Gog on his journey.

Druids have been replanting saplings near dying oaks for generations so these two oaks that are said to be at least a thousand years old may have a lineage that stretches far back in time. I m sure that many pilgrims to Glastonbury have picked up one of their acorns and there are saplings growing in many far away places from this magical source.

I always get a sense of peace and security when I sit beneath a British Oak. In a park near me there is an evergreen oa kwhich I now know is called "the Mediterranean-origin holm oak". It does have a different energy and I am slightly wary of it as it is unknown to me.
My dog Poppy loves it and often dives under its cover to hide and rest when there are a large pack of dogs in the park and she is worn out from the chase.

Thank you for the information, the link and the poems and quotes.

With blessing MerryB

Serpentia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Serpentia » 24 Nov 2010, 08:37

One of my favorites is the Angel Oak, which is also in the Charleston area, on St. Johns Island. It is among the oldest of the Southern Live Oaks. It is probably the most beautiful individual tree I have had the pleasure of beholding. I must get back down to see her.
If you do, let me know well enough ahead of time, we can go together. Haven't been back to Charleston for too long and I am not going to wait for the next family funeral to do it... my children's grandparents live(d) in Charleston and so does more of our family.

Thank you for sharing that ENT report, that is fascinating to read about all those live oaks that are so familiar to me from travelling through the South. Live Oaks have a totally different feel to them than the "normal" oaks of Germany, they feel much more like our Linden Trees that I am so fond of.

Again, thank you for sharing,

Serpentia

Huathe

Postby Huathe » 24 Nov 2010, 16:47

Serpentia,

I hope to make it back down to Charleston pretty soon. I have only been there twice but it is a beautiful place. I will let you know.

ENTS has done a lot of study on the Live Oak. It is a wonderful tree. While ENTS centers a lot on scientific documentation of trees, there is a more lighter side of the organization too. One can post anything on trees. Due to my becoming involved with druidry, the ENTS administrator created a new forum on the ENTS BBS dedicated to druidism. Feel free to join ENTS. It has been a wonderful educational opportunity for me, and you meet a lot of " treeish " folk.

You should post some on those Linden trees.

:huathe:
James E Parton
New Order of Druids

Serpentia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Serpentia » 25 Nov 2010, 11:40

You should post some on those Linden trees.
Hi hi, you should see my draft here, it's six pages long :o I will condense it and start a new topic for it..

Well, my schedule is more long-term, I could maybe look at a trip to Charleston in July/August next year, even so that's the worst time for heat and humidity. Or April, that's a thought.... April's good... I will give this another think!

Serpentia
the Charleston-loving Snake

Huathe

Postby Huathe » 25 Nov 2010, 16:59

Serpentia,

Heck, I can take the heat...

Snakes are cool. As a kid I grew up catching and studying them. I also have many pictures of snakes on my computer, including ones Rattlesnakes and Copperheads I have taken on my numerous hikes. My sister, Becky also has no irrational fear of snakes. We have respect for them, not irrational fear.

I guess I like your username.
James E Parton
New Order of Druids

MiriamSPia

Postby MiriamSPia » 08 Jan 2011, 22:26

Again, is this only English oak? I love oak trees. However, I realize that if it is not just the letter but also involves the healing properties etc, then it matters a lot whether or not this is the only type of oak tree to have the healing properties listed or whether all of the oaks have the same abilities.

I think it far more difficult and in depth but ultimately far more powerful and rewarding to learn all of these things about the tree referred to by each ogham letter as well as which sounds that ogham letter makes so we can spell with it.

Imagine if the first alphabets we had learned were as 'deep'. Hm.

|-)

MiriamSPia

Postby MiriamSPia » 08 Jan 2011, 22:33

Despite my confusion about the various strains of it, oak is one of the ogham trees with which I feel greater familiarity than say, gorse. I suppose the rest of you noticed that some of these you already know better than some of the others.

Everywhere I have lived, there are live oak trees. Its nice to know that their natural life span is 1000 years or even more - like elves.

Return to “The Ogham Library”