Worm Symbolism?

Discuss and share stories and pictures, ask questions, seek and share knowledge about your animal companions and wildlife.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Alasdair
OBOD Ovate

Worm Symbolism?

Post by Alasdair » 04 Jun 2005, 00:03

I do not know if this is the correct place to be asking the question, but has anyone heard of what a worm/inchworm/caterpillar symbolises? I have had two of them on my left shoulder, one yesterday and one today. Both showed up at the same time on my shoulder, in the same part of my house. I was sitting at the dinner table eating and both times family members pointed out an inchworm on me. They were two different colors and types, and i put both outside so they couldn't have been the same one. Anyway, i was wondering if anyone knows what inchworms symbolise? thanks hehe
To the mind that is Still -- The whole Universe Surrenders.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Re: Worm Symbolism?

Post by DJ Droood » 07 Apr 2010, 12:51

Alasdair wrote:Anyway, i was wondering if anyone knows what inchworms symbolise? thanks hehe
Perhaps "earthiness"....connection to your roots....transformation from the mundane to the spiritual....
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Spirit Bear
OBOD Bard

Post by Spirit Bear » 22 Jun 2010, 09:05

The symbolism of worms, catterpillars etc. is described in the books 'Animal Wise' from Ted Andrews and 'If Animals Could Talk' from Christiane Beerlandt.
:brnbear: Spirit Medicine Bear :brnbear:

“Every animal knows more than you do.”—Native American Proverb
≈✿≈ We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals ≈✿≈ ~ Immanual Kant ~

Image Image Image

Nightfalls
OBOD Bard

Post by Nightfalls » 22 Jun 2010, 09:42

Alasdair wrote:Both showed up at the same time on my shoulder, in the same part of my house. I was sitting at the dinner table eating and both times family members pointed out an inchworm on me.
I believe that symbolizes a hole in your roof or they just like your cooking :wink:
Out of the night that covers me, Black as the pit from pole to pole
I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance, I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears, Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll
I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.

Return to “All Creatures Great and Small”