Page 1 of 1

Warning about XYLITOL and dogs....PLEASE READ

Posted: 20 Jun 2008, 18:53
by Lady Nimue
Please forward this to all dog parents that you know.

This is true:
Warning to all dog owners - pass this on to everyone you can Last Friday evening, I arrived home from work, fed Chloe, our 24 Lb. dachshund, just as I normally do. Ten minutes later I walked into the den just in time to see her head inside the pocket of Katie's friend's purse. She had a guilty look on her face so I looked closer and saw a small package of sugar-free gum. It contained xylitol. I remembered that I had recently read that sugar-free gum can be deadly for dogs so I jumped on line and looked to see if xylitol was the ingredient. I found the first website below and it was the one.

Next, I called our vet. She said to bring her in immediately.

Unfortunately, it was still rush hour and it took me almost 1/2 hour to get there. Meanwhile, since this was her first case, our vet found another website to figure out the treatment. She took Chloe and said they would induce her to vomit, give her a charcoal drink to absorb the toxin (even though they don't think it works) then they would start an iv with dextrose. The xylitol causes dogs to secrete insulin so their blood sugar drops very quickly. The second thing that happens is liver failure. If that happens, even with aggressive treatment, it can be difficult to save them. She told us she would call us.
Almost two hours later, the vet called and said that contents of her stomach contained 2-3 gum wrappers and that her blood sugar had dropped from 90 to 59 in 30 minutes. She wanted us to take Chloe to another hospital that has a critical care unit operating around the clock. We picked her up and took her there. They had us call the ASPCA poison control for a case number and for a donation, their doctors would direct Chloe's doctor on treatment. They would continue the iv, monitor her blood every other hour and then in 2 days test her liver function. She ended up with a central line in her jugular vein since the one in her leg collapsed, just as our regular vet had feared.
Chloe spent almost the entire weekend in the critical care hospital. After her blood sugar was stabilized, she came home yesterday. They ran all the tests again before they released her and so far, no sign of liver damage. Had I not seen her head in the purse, she probably would have died and we wouldn't even had known why.
Three vets told me this weekend, that they were amazed that I even knew about it since they are first learning about it too. Please tell everyone you know about xylitol and dogs. It may save another life. Xylitol Deadly to Dogs

Re: Warning about XYLITOL and dogs....PLEASE READ

Posted: 20 Jun 2008, 19:06
by tyla9
Wow, that is so lucky ,and i hope chloe continues to stay healthy! I certainly didnt know anything about that , but i did hear at xmas that sultanas are poisonous to dogs (and cats i think), so not to give them treats like xmas pudding. And chocolate is toxic for animals too. Think the best bet is stick to the food thats made for them and not for us. I'm just going to point out what you've said to my mum - and anyone else with i know with dogs!


Re: Warning about XYLITOL and dogs....PLEASE READ

Posted: 22 Jun 2008, 10:18
by Aurora
Thanks for letting us know about this. I've passed it along and will be telling other dog owners i know about it.

I hope Chloe is still doing well.


Re: Warning about XYLITOL and dogs....PLEASE READ

Posted: 22 Jun 2008, 10:34
by D'Arzhur
Big :hug: to Chloe and to must have been so scared and worried !
Thank you for passing this on !

Re: Warning about XYLITOL and dogs....PLEASE READ

Posted: 22 Jun 2008, 17:20
by Dryadia2
Thanks for sharing this important warning, Nims!
I've passed it on...
Big hugs for you and Chloe. :hug:

Peace and Blessings,
:dryadia: /|\

Re: Warning about XYLITOL and dogs....PLEASE READ

Posted: 14 Jan 2011, 18:42
by Brida Runecaster
Thank you Nimue, I have a dog that I love so much, and I didn't know about that! Big hug to you and your lovely friend! :hug:

Re: Warning about XYLITOL and dogs....PLEASE READ

Posted: 14 Jan 2011, 19:09
by Bartholomew
Yes thanks I didn't know that either. I hope Chloe is ok now. I will have to be vigilante with my Yorkshire Terrier, Ollie. He's always scouting for food, he stole a fairy cake from the coffee table yesterday and a chicken drumstick from the kitchen bin today. I chased him upstairs and managed to get some of the drumstick out of his clenched mouth but he ate the rest. Chicken bones are dangerous for dogs because they can splinter and get stuck in the throat.
After our halloween party he sneaked downstairs and found a toffee apple on a stick and tried to steal it but it got stuck in his chest fur and he squealed the house down for somebody to rescue him. He's a little devil to put it politely. I will pass this on, thanks again.

Re: Warning about XYLITOL and dogs....PLEASE READ

Posted: 01 Oct 2011, 09:37
by helenoftheways
I know this was originally posted in 2008, but have to say that now there is always a warning on xylitol that it should not be consumed by dogs, and gives the reason why. Perhaps it was not there before. I'm quite shocked that such a small amount as there would be in 2 pieces of gum, could affect a dog so quickly. :o I'm also a bit surprised that a dog would eat gum - wrappers & all!! 8-) Glad that all ended well though.