The R0wdy Bunch Seedgroup Con't

Herein are contained classic stories and other timeless threads penned by patrons of the Druid's Head Pub. To suggest additions, please contact the Moderator.
Fianait
OBOD Bard

Re: The R0wdy Bunch Seedgroup Con't

Postby Fianait » 25 Mar 2008, 03:00

P.S. I'm not quite sure I know what a half off nipple is myself, but that is irrelevant. It was a singular moment in the workings of Awen that compelled me to designate Tuesdays as such. Simply put, the gods decree that it is so.
And here I figured that was the Rowdy Bunch version of Lady's Night. Whoops! :o
Image "For the concert of life, no one is given a program."-anonymous

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Postby Bracken » 25 Mar 2008, 03:04

Well, for sure the wood-chucks would hear it falling. That is a big fat no-brainer. But who would hear all the wood-chucks saying, "who chopped my bloody tree down?"
Last edited by Bracken on 25 Mar 2008, 03:27, edited 1 time in total.

Beith

Postby Beith » 25 Mar 2008, 03:05

Ah.

now there is a question for Q & A

Druidfluid
Location: Under the mountains, on the edge of the plains (i.e. Colorado)

Postby Druidfluid » 25 Mar 2008, 04:28

Why can't Awen and ladies' night go together? I'm fairly sure Brid herself would order the first round were she there.
Official R0wdy Barmaid - No separate checks. Half Off Nipple Night on Tuesdays.

2008 BS

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Postby Bracken » 25 Mar 2008, 04:36

Why can't Awen and ladies' night go together? I'm fairly sure Brid herself would order the first round were she there.
Which is exactly why Druidfluid is our barmaid. :blink:

Druidfluid

Postby Druidfluid » 25 Mar 2008, 04:38

What are you studying, Druidfluid?
What a dangerous question to ask a grad student, barmaid or no. I could talk for hours about it. Well, I'm working on my PhD, but at the moment I think I'm going to just get my Masters. I'm in political science and my areas of emphasis are Environmental Policy and Comparative Politics. I'd do my dissertation on the global plutonium economy, Central Asia, and rentier state theory, (comparing the political and environmental impact of uranium mines to oil fields, essentially) if I do one, but for now I'm working on a thesis comparing Canadian and US environmental voting behavior in the context of people who also identify as Christian.

I know there are many people on these boards with PhDs, but for me, I find the expectations unbalancing. I'm not just an academic. I love to write fiction, knit, quilt, etc. but for those of us who choose to study environment (which is not a popular group in political science circles) it is so competitive that they expect us to work/read/write all the time on polisci even after we get PhDs. I'm fine with 60 hours a week. I'm not fine with devoting my entire life to it. So I think I'll just teach at a community college instead and have some time to have other hobbies as well.

But I still haven't told my department. I'm funded for my entire PhD :( but I know I'm going to disappoint some of my profs.

2008 BS

Fianait
OBOD Bard

Postby Fianait » 25 Mar 2008, 04:49

Which is exactly why Druidfluid is our barmaid. :blink:
See that, I had the right idea after all. :grin:

Image "For the concert of life, no one is given a program."-anonymous

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Postby Bracken » 25 Mar 2008, 04:52

Druidfluid. Love.

Study for the love of it. Sod your tutors and their expectations for your future.

That will all unfold in the fullness of time.

Be here now.

[I'm feeling a bit existential. :) ]

And yes, Fianait is not and never will be wrong.

Beith

Postby Beith » 25 Mar 2008, 04:59

Seconded!

Druidfluid (yes you were destined to be the town barmaid here with a name like that!) - firstly ~ Hello! and secondly, the only expectations you have to match up to for your future, are your own. So if it makes most sense to you to finish up now with a Master's (an excellent achievement) and take time out, experience a bit more world-outside-university, then do that. One can always go back to study at any stage once finances and opportunity permit. Sometimes that takes a bit of creative footwork as both Baobab and myself and many other returns-to-books can vouch!

Your research sounds very interesting - I am especially interested in the topic you are currently working on, re: environmental voting preferences in the Christian demographic group. I hope you will publish your work, it sounds very interesting indeed, especially given the political admin in USA right now and the leanings towards religious right and how such things may shape environmental policy. At least you have one, over here in Ireland it's "see a patch of land - build an apartment block/motorway/more apartments on it") that's our "Heritage Protection" law too.

Woah! This is a very serious conversation to be having at 3:56 am.

I'll have a gin 'n' tonic please and a large slice of pie. Not in the same glass.

Cheers!
Beith

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Postby Bracken » 25 Mar 2008, 05:53

Snigger.

And I really fancy a guinness and blackcurrant and a jacket spud with tuna and sweetcorn.

My green goddess days are not over. I just believe that a little of what you fancy does you good, sister. :D

Druidfluid

Postby Druidfluid » 25 Mar 2008, 06:19

Yeah, I can always go back, right? I'm just not loving what I'm doing right now because I have to do it all the time.

Hope you like pecan pie :).

So, there are all these different green ethics, right? One of them is the "Christian Stewards" movement. My background is as a Christian and I already knew a little about it. I was interested in seeing how Christian voters prioritize values. And after attending a few Christian Stewards meetings, it became apparent that many of them are more concerned with maintaining the status quo in policy, but just "voluntarily" donating time or resources to pet causes. So, the problem for me is this: Most pro-environment candidates are not pro-life. Many Christian voters are pro-life. How often do Christian voters prioritize environment over abortion? This is just one example, but it is a salient one.

If there were to be an environmental religion out there, I'd think it would be one that included some kind of reincarnation within its theology, but even then I'm skeptical about whether or not it would have any real impact. An analysis of American Buddhists show that they have about as big a carbon footprint as anyone.

Basically, I come from a school of thought that believes values are created by the community, not the community by values. (There are some exceptions to this, especially now with communication technology and the compression of space-time. And there has always been some feedback, but it is generally weak. For example, controlling women has, throughout history, had a positive economic impact for dominant groups, whereas regulating environment has threatened dominant economic interests. Spiritual texts are interpreted/ignored/emphasized to justify economic interests, not the other way around). My geographic areas of interest are Latin America and the Middle East/Central Asia. I'm actually publishing an article in the next 2 months on women's rights and the Middle East. Basically, it isn't Islam (which is incredibly similar to Christianity), it's a combination of economics, regime type, and social movement cohesion. While this isn't directly related to environment, at its core it is because states don't act on values, they largely act on material concerns, oftentimes using values to mask self-interest. Patriarchy exists, to one degree or another, in all societies. Overcoming it is a question of women's movements attaining more economic capital and resource mobilization and organization. And, to a large degree, it is the same with environmental issues. Ultimately, equity is at the core of improving the environment. If power is distributed enough globally that all people can defend their own backyards against one another and corporate interests, then I think economically you will see environmental behavior become a necessity. There's no one left to easily dump on. Inequity, in my framework, is the root of pollution.

Feminism, environment, Middle East, Latin America . . . see, I can't even focus in political science! I'm ADD on life.

You guys are going to be lucky if I can focus long enough on pouring the drinks. I just might stop halfway and start on some new ones instead.

2008 BS

Druidfluid

Postby Druidfluid » 25 Mar 2008, 06:22

And I really fancy a guinness and blackcurrant and a jacket spud with tuna and sweetcorn.
Jacket spud? Baked potato? I don't speak British pub-ese.

2008 BS

Twig
OBOD Bard

Postby Twig » 25 Mar 2008, 07:48

It is possible that the wood chuck would upchuck wood, and there would be a major mess in the forest, where no one would be there to clean it up.

Ah, a long hot bath! I believe firmly in the quote from Mae West: "When in doubt, take a bath." And since I doubt a lot, I bathe a lot. My nipples, however, are heading south so I cannot report on their condition.

Am SO glad MamaB finally cleaned up her act. (Say, did you get a chance to start on that book whilst soaking your cares away?) Imagine her sitting there, all full of camp grime to watch Big Brother. All I can say is that this woman most decidedly has her priorities straight! :grin: YES!

Well, can we pick our barmaids, or what? Check it out, folks. Smart AND clever AND makes one helluva drink, not to mention the pecan pie. Mmm... Anyway, the nature of your thesis is really fascinating, DF. I found Latin American politics/history to be fascinating when I was in college, way back when. :old: And I can certainly believe that environmental issues are not terribly popular in political circles, unless you can get hooked up with some progressive types. I, too, hope you make public the findings of your research, but more importantly, I hope you make time for YOU. You've a good head on your shoulders, so I think you've probably already figured out what's really important.

J&B on the rocks, please. And none of that nasty ice, either. BLEAH!
"...some part of me is tree." -- Stephanie Kaza (Buddhist author)

"It takes courage to live ordinary lives." -- Connie Schultz (newspaper columnist)

:awen: :terra: :seasons:

http://www.elephants.com

Frenn
OBOD Bard

Postby Frenn » 25 Mar 2008, 09:54

J&B on the rocks, please. And none of that nasty ice, either. BLEAH!

now that sounds good, though id prefer a good jameson 12 year.

or anything that doesnt say
"Contains less than .5% alcohol per volume" at the bottom.

6th Frenn of a Frenn

Cannot we let the morning be?

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Postby Bracken » 25 Mar 2008, 10:58

It is possible that the wood chuck would upchuck wood, and there would be a major mess in the forest, where no one would be there to clean it up.
Deep. Extremely deep.
*MamaB ponders.*

Aylyn
OBOD Bard

Postby Aylyn » 25 Mar 2008, 11:29

Maybe I should send my box of blackcurrants to you, then....

I am currently in a study where I have to eat 2 portions of blackcurrants a day for 6 weeks in a row to see if my cardiovascular system gets better by using so much fruit. I am on day 2, portion 4.... Hate black currants - why did I ever start this?

As for bathing, I must have cat genes in me - an occasional shower is all I can manage. Keeps the wrinkles off as well, and makes me look young (no comments now... :old:)

I had a couple of friends up here in Scotland over the Easter holidays, and have shown them around the area. It was pretty weird, as we had 5 minute blizzards all through the days - alternating with bright and beautiful sunshine and severe gales. I love Scotland: All 4 seasons in one hour... Currently, it is grey and cold, and I am poised to the final sprint for my exams, even though I cannot see me passing them - my prof just returned my corrected homework. And she said it so nicely: "You seem to have a good grasp, but there are some areas where you are going wrong" Oh well, I am looking for a pass mark.

Druidfluid - I can see how you feel, I am so fed up with all that studying and no life whatsoever, I am really looking forward to the final exam. It is going to be so nice to do what I like to do for a change, rather than thinking about all the things I must do. I was never good with politics, though, I am much better with facts, and your kind of study would give me the shudders. However, it is very important - environmental issues are only solved on the human and political level, or not at all...

And MamaB:
The rest of us are just common or garden R0wdies.
I tresent that - I am anything but common :whistle:

Image Image Two things are in abundance in the universe: hydrogen and stupidity.

Please help my dragons grow: Image

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Postby Bracken » 25 Mar 2008, 11:36

Welcome back, Aylyn.

Hang on in there. You can do it.

Frenn
OBOD Bard

Postby Frenn » 25 Mar 2008, 12:04

So if a tree falls in the forest, and hits a mime, and nobody's around, does the mime make a noise?

6th Frenn of a Frenn

Silverleaf_Willow
OBOD Ovate

Postby Silverleaf_Willow » 25 Mar 2008, 13:33

So if a tree falls in the forest, and hits a mime, and nobody's around, does the mime make a noise?
:thinking:
is the mime inside or outside of that box that all mimes seem to have?
-silverleaf willow-

ImageImage

Frenn
OBOD Bard

Postby Frenn » 25 Mar 2008, 13:39

:thinking:
is the mime inside or outside of that box that all mimes seem to have?
Actually, the mime of mentioin is pulling on an invisible rope, seemingly attached to the rapidly falling tree.

w0000t!

6th Frenn of a Frenn

Return to “The Attic”