Totems/Guides

Herein are contained classic stories and other timeless threads penned by patrons of the Druid's Head Pub. To suggest additions, please contact the Moderator.
Coyote

Totems/Guides

Postby Coyote » 05 Mar 2005, 02:31

Well, I've been browsing the board today here at work. I've seen several things mentioned about spirit guides, and totems. I'm curious as to who has what? Personally, I've found that I have several totems, but my guides tend to change from time to time. Totems, as odd as this sounds, are a Raven, a gorilla, and a human child. *Shrugs* Don't know why the human, it just was. Some folks tried to say that it was me, but it wasn't. I was me when I found mine in the vision and interacted with the totems.

Kat Lady
OBOD Druid

Postby Kat Lady » 06 Mar 2005, 07:26

Why do you feel your totems are odd? The raven is not uncommon and is a sacred totem to have. And the Gorilla is one of strength and ingenuity. As for the human, there are others more qualified than I but the only human totems I have known have been seen by those who have had lives in animal form.

I will share two of my totems with you. My personal totem is Lynx. One of my clan totems is Puma/cougar. I have two others, one just recognized as clan totem, which is sacred to me and one that is adopted and will remain close to my heart. They have walked with me during various lifetimes and have again revealed themselves to me.

Guides will change as our needs change but our totems remain. I guess I have been in need of a lot of guidance based on the various animal guides I have had. If you want to know some, call the San Diego Zoo and there you have it! :grin:
If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.--Mark Twain

Coyote

Postby Coyote » 07 Mar 2005, 22:21

lol I might call the zoo myself sometime Kat Lady. I do however have a question, what is a clan totem? IF that is anything like a family based totem or something, then that would most likely be the Raven for me. If it's something like a totem that joins various people together family or not... then, I have a few other choices to work with from there.

Kat Lady
OBOD Druid

Postby Kat Lady » 08 Mar 2005, 02:43

I do however have a question, what is a clan totem? IF that is anything like a family based totem or something, then that would most likely be the Raven for me. If it's something like a totem that joins various people together family or not... then, I have a few other choices to work with from there.
A clan is more of a tribal community. But can also translate to family as traditional clan members were extended family members. I had a roommate in college that came from a traditional Navajo family who explained that even today in her family it was frowned upon to marry someone of the same clan. As she explained, it was considered to be almost incest since the clan is "family". So Coyote, you may have a few different types of totems: individual, family and clan.

You might want to pm one of the moderators of the forum for more reading material and insight on totems.

By the way, I hear coyote do travel with wolves on occasion.
Last edited by Kat Lady on 08 Mar 2005, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.--Mark Twain

Coyote

Postby Coyote » 08 Mar 2005, 04:52

I assume you ment "Coyote" and not "Cougar" there, but I'll do that. My friends totems would probably be bear and wolf, as Bear is coming in as a guide with me lately, I see what your getting at about wolves and coyotes traveling together.

Kat Lady
OBOD Druid

Postby Kat Lady » 08 Mar 2005, 14:14

Yep, Coyote. Freudian slip there, calling you Cougar....edited it and fixed the name to make more sense for others that may read this. Bear is a noble guide. Just watch those hugs!

Trillian

Postby Trillian » 28 Apr 2005, 02:34

As I'm fairly new to this, and have not really explored Shamanism, I must say that I have no actual knowledge of these things. However, what I can tell you is this: my animal is a rabbit, and I have known so from the time I can remember; my guide is a brown bear. Let me explain.

The rabbit has been part of my life and personality since birth. It may have been influenced by the fact that I was born just after the Easter holiday, but even those who did not know as much could sense it (and still do!) :) One of my sister's friends even believes I "look" like a rabbit.. lol... but in al seriousness, I identify with it more strongly than I can say. My mother calls me "bunny girl" and still buys me stuffed toy rabbits and books about bunnies... it's adorable.

The bear was my protector from birth, as well... my first guardian was my teddy bear, which I still own (26 years later); and the love of my life has himself been symbolized by the brown bear. He's also been an incredible guide to me. Strong, yet soft, protective of me to the end, and always good for a snuggle. :D

I can in no way explain further, because I myself don't fully understand! Astrologically, I'm a ram... in Chinese astrology, a goat. And while I can be headstrong at times, I am equally shy and "cute"... rabbit-like. I know that rabbits have typically been associated with sexuality and fertility, and rams with fiery strength and stubbornness. I don't think I'm particularly stubborn, unless I'm defending something I love; I am a sexual person, but not in the promiscuous way that one would imagine a "bunny". Is it possible to have two equal, yet conflicting, totem animals?

Any thoughts are appreciated... thanks!

Trillian

Kat Lady
OBOD Druid

Postby Kat Lady » 28 Apr 2005, 03:12

Trillian:
First, welcome! Secondly, I don't see that the 2 are really in conflict. Both Bear and Rabbit are intuitive and are known for their defensive abilities. They teach us to pay attention to our surroundings and help us to to tune our conscious and unconscious minds.

As far as you astrological sign, I have found that totems and guides do not necessarily coincide with the astrological signs. One is an alignment of the stars at the time of our birth. The other is an alignment of our soul, a piece of ourselves.

You may want to see if Wolfwalker can shed some additional light on the balance between bear and rabbit, since he keeps his rabbit and wolf in balance.

Mole
OBOD Ovate

Postby Mole » 28 Apr 2005, 21:46

Greetings All,

My personal animal is Mole. He is the reason I chose my name on the forum and has been with me for many years. We have a lots of things in common (although I don't eat grubs!!) and I call to him in meditations when I am troubled and find him a great comfort.

I have leaned towards my shaman side more over the past few months and have also been visited by dog. As I am new to this aspect of my path any insight into my two friends would be appreciated.

Blessings
Mole XX
ImageImage

Flidais Airmid
OBOD Bard

Postby Flidais Airmid » 01 May 2005, 05:04

My power animal is a Deer (A Doe not a Stag). I also have a Dragon guide that I am told is a Crystal Dragon, which is quite rare and special. *Smiles* Lucky me. I had always wondered about my Dragon's elemental association. My Dragon seemed to embody all elements instead of one in particular. Hearing that Crystal Dragons are not associated with one specific element, but with all of them made sense to me. I would love to know more about that though.

Over the past couple of months I have noticed the influence of Bear emerging. Even more recently, I have felt Otter coming to me. I have always enjoyed watching Otters. I look forward to working with her.

-Flidais Airmid
Last edited by Flidais Airmid on 02 May 2005, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.

Artwork: http://celtic-artwork.com
Airmid Holistic Healing: http://airmid.org/

Wolfwalker

Postby Wolfwalker » 02 May 2005, 13:17

Quick, alert and playful, maybe Otter represents something emerging from within you recently, say over the past winter? They're also cheeky buggers that are rather difficult to catch and can be rather nasty if they feel trapped. They like to lie in the sun and just bask in the light...
Bear is probably the second most talked about totem in this forum room, apart from wolf, so it is not too difficult to find out about this massive healing beast... pm MorningStar if you don't believe me! :)
blessings on the quest, Peter
Love people and use things, NOT use people and love things...

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 02 May 2005, 14:17

Hi everyone,

Thank you for sharing your allies and totems!

I've had wolf for a long time -
Wolf is a teacher. :wolf:

Coyote :coyote: likes to hang around and laugh at me - I give him plenty to LOL! he keeps me from getting too impressed with myself. ;)

These were my only guides for a long time.

Bear :brnbear: came in a meditation and told me she sleeps and dreams her visions all winter - during that time she lives off her own excess fat, what she no longer needs, and emerges reborn/renewed in the spring (she hasn't shared her secret of losing weight yet! :wink: )

:crow: became a protector and guide during my shamanic apprenticeship.

Jaguar :donata: also came to me during my shamanic apprenticeship.Jaguar guards the heart and underworld, and travels between the worlds.

I know what you mean about being a zoo! :grin:

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Wolfwalker

Postby Wolfwalker » 02 May 2005, 22:49

:-) I completely agree Donata...
I feel like an animal shelter! At last count, there's (beside the wolf and rabbit, a Boreal owl, a badger, a groundhog, a bluejay, southern cottonmouth [snake], and a pair of dragons that have been part of my life for some time now...
I find it rather scary-sad, that in our modern "scientific" culture most people have lost the means of discernmet what these creatures mean in their lives. Figure all the people who have or are having psychotherapy for being aware of their totems and spirit guides. It says volumes how far away from original belief and an earth-based faith walk society in the west in particular has swung toward. When will society wake up and realize that "life" is not solely the domain of the human creature, nor is that being the only one with intelligence, a message and the means to communicate it.
It unsetles me as humans destroy more and more life on this planet daily and cannot or will not see how this effects their own inner being. Worse is a sense that often, all I can do is pray for the protection of life and the awakening of these close-minded ones who destroy.
blessings, Peter

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 02 May 2005, 22:59

Hi Peter,

I share your sadness at the way animals, trees, the waters and the Earth herself are treated by our mainstream society. There is so little awareness of the web of life, and our place on it of equality and stewardship, not power over with disregard for the rights of other creatures.

I think of the lines in our Druid's Prayer -
the Love of Justice, and the love of all existences...

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Flidais Airmid
OBOD Bard

Postby Flidais Airmid » 03 May 2005, 01:19

Quick, alert and playful, maybe Otter represents something emerging from within you recently, say over the past winter? They're also cheeky buggers that are rather difficult to catch and can be rather nasty if they feel trapped. They like to lie in the sun and just bask in the light...
Bear is probably the second most talked about totem in this forum room, apart from wolf, so it is not too difficult to find out about this massive healing beast... pm MorningStar if you don't believe me! :)
blessings on the quest, Peter
That is very interesting. Actually a few new things have been going on that might have sparked the entrance of Otter. First this winter I decided to go to graduate school. Then I decided to move to California. Maybe Otter is telling me to remember to have fun whilst in graduate school. I should take the time for play and in So Cal that should be quite easy. I

Kat Lady
OBOD Druid

Postby Kat Lady » 08 May 2005, 04:30

I thought of you Fli when I was crystal hunting last week in the wilds of Louisiana. Otter is such a fun guide and I see you becoming more outgoing like Otter each time we meet. And Art/Bear, well that goes without saying, with your healing abilities and connection with the earth.

Now crystals are made by earth, air, sea and fire. While most are closely aligned with fire and water, they have characteristics of all of the elements. So logically, some dragons that are connected with crystals would have that same feel about them. Yours is special like you, a bit of everything combined. As you are a healer, you will find your connection with the healing capabilities of your dragon-guide I am sure. She is a part of you.

Kay MoonDawn

Postby Kay MoonDawn » 09 May 2005, 13:22

I've had a few guides and protectors growing up, even when I was a Roman Catholic. The one during my teens was a wild cat. Something this string of posts remind me of............

I remember when I was a little girl of 3 or 4 years old, I had a grand collection of stuffed animals. Two of which were very special to me, one was a raccoon and the other a bear. I always believed that the raccoon would come to life when I was asleep to watch over me and if any "bad dreams" came near he would wake up the bear and the bear would scare it away. Both of them stayed on my bed with me, the bear sleeping beside me. During the day I would even lay the raccoon down on the bed so that he could get some sleep! :) I still have them in my bedroom and refuse to give them away.

~Kay

Wolfwalker

Postby Wolfwalker » 09 May 2005, 17:31

well, as a raccoon is if nothing else, watchful and alert to danger, I could see that happening. Why not, it's a big universe and a bigger life! Why shouldn't they masquerade as toys during your waking hours?
bb, Peter

Flidais Airmid
OBOD Bard

Postby Flidais Airmid » 09 May 2005, 17:49

I thought of you Fli when I was crystal hunting last week in the wilds of Louisiana. Otter is such a fun guide and I see you becoming more outgoing like Otter each time we meet. And Art/Bear, well that goes without saying, with your healing abilities and connection with the earth.

Now crystals are made by earth, air, sea and fire. While most are closely aligned with fire and water, they have characteristics of all of the elements. So logically, some dragons that are connected with crystals would have that same feel about them. Yours is special like you, a bit of everything combined. As you are a healer, you will find your connection with the healing capabilities of your dragon-guide I am sure. She is a part of you.
Thanks Kat Lady! I hope you had fun in Louisiana and found some great crystals.
I remember when I was a little girl of 3 or 4 years old, I had a grand collection of stuffed animals. Two of which were very special to me, one was a raccoon and the other a bear. I always believed that the raccoon would come to life when I was asleep to watch over me and if any "bad dreams" came near he would wake up the bear and the bear would scare it away. Both of them stayed on my bed with me, the bear sleeping beside me. During the day I would even lay the raccoon down on the bed so that he could get some sleep! :) I still have them in my bedroom and refuse to give them away.
I was very much the same way with my ‘zoo.’ I had so many stuffed animals on my bed, that my bed couldn’t actually be seen. I guess my largest collection of animals was monkeys. I was actually thinking about that the other day. I think Monkey was a guide when I was a child, but he is not one I see much of anymore. It’s weird how guides come in and out of one’s life.

It looks like Raccoon and Bear make a good team. I would not give them up either. :)

-Flidais Airmid

Midnightpentacle125

Postby Midnightpentacle125 » 12 Jun 2005, 23:26

I so far know of 3 totems of mine The raven,The wolf, and the dragon :raven2: :wolf: :ouroboros:

Return to “The Attic”