4 stages of Druidry

A forum for the discussion of heuristic questions relating to Druidry using verifiable methods. Fo-fúair!
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult. — Hippocrates

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
eilis
OBOD Druid

Re: 4 stages of Druidry

Post by eilis » 21 Jan 2012, 19:35

Here are a couple of sources of the word: PAGAN
Since it came into the English language from the Latin in 1325-75, I don't believe it has anything to do with Druids or me. It has been picked up by the later "New Age" movement to contrast themselves to Christians. Also not something that I am interested in.

Origin:
1325–75; Middle English < Medieval Latin, Late Latin pāgānus worshiper of false gods, orig. civilian (i.e., not a soldier of Christ), Latin: peasant, noun use of pāgānus rural, civilian, derivative of pāgus village, rural district (akin to pangere to fix, make fast); see -an

Word Origin & History

pagan
late 14c., from L.L. paganus "pagan," in classical L. "villager, rustic, civilian," from pagus "rural district," originally "district limited by markers," thus related to pangere "to fix, fasten," from PIE base *pag- "to fix" (see pact). Religious sense is often said to derive
from conservative rural adherence to the old gods after the Christianization of Roman towns and cities; but the word in this sense predates that period in Church history, and it is more likely derived from the use of paganus in Roman military jargon for "civilian, incompetent soldier," which Christians (Tertullian, c.202; Augustine) picked up with the military imagery of the early Church (e.g. milites "soldier of Christ," etc.). Applied to modern pantheists and nature-worshippers from 1908.
Eilis O'Ridire

"Never underestimate the power of a small group of committed citizens to change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead
Image...Image...Image

Return to “The Skeptical Druid”