Noah's Ark discovered...again...

A forum for the discussion of heuristic questions relating to Druidry using verifiable methods. Fo-fúair!
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult. — Hippocrates

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Noah's Ark discovered...again...

Post by DJ Droood » 28 Apr 2010, 19:39

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2010/0 ... red.-Again.
A Chinese Christian filmmaker claims to have found the final resting place of Noah's Ark on Turkey's Mount Ararat.

Yeung Wing-Cheung says he and a team from Noah's Ark Ministries found the remains of the Ark at an elevation of about 12,000 feet (3,658 meters). They filmed inside the structure and took wood samples that were later analyzed in Iran. He claims the wood was carbon-dated to around the reputed time of Noah's flood, which would be remarkable since organic material should have long since disintegrated in the last 5,000 years.
Don't they make a documentary about this for the Discovery Channel every few years?

Here is a sketch of what it actually looked like, according to their scientists:

Merlyn
OBOD Druid

Re: Noah's Ark discovered...again...

Post by Merlyn » 29 Apr 2010, 15:34

If you took two of every animal, including elephants and such, could a boat of 60 or so cubits hold the weight?
And of Noah, how did he have kids that were white, black, etc?

And of the global warming flood... 30 days? that was a rather quick flood... to end up on top of a mountain...

It was all just a bad dream... :whistle:

:merlyn:
Image :emerit:
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o wybod, gwybod yn gyfiawn;
ac o wybod yn gyfiawn ei garu;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

Nicholaas

Post by Nicholaas » 04 May 2010, 04:28

Hahahaha, love the artwork.

I also love how now they decide carbon dating is accurate, when it apparently (but not really) supports their claim. :roll:
"Everything is right for me, which is right for you, O Universe. Nothing for me is too early or too late, which comes in due time for you. Everything is fruit to me which your seasons bring, O Nature. From you are all things, in you are all things, to you all things return."
-Marcus Aurelius

wolf560

Post by wolf560 » 11 Oct 2010, 08:18

Hello All,

To me I find it more interesting that every major group of people on the planet record a really nasty "flood saga" somewhere in their mythos/ history.
There is growing evidence that a flood of 'biblical proportions' struck sending waves across the Mediterranean as far as Malta. Stones 9'x9'x2' were thrown up to 20 feet by a tidal wave that struck a temple nearly 400 feet above sea level on the island of Malta.

http://www.odysseyadventures.ca/article ... garqim.htm
"We found that indeed a flood happened around that time. From core samples, we see that a flood broke through the natural barrier separating the Mediterranean Sea and the freshwater Black Sea, bringing with it seashells that only grow in a marine environment.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 150931.htm

...and as far as Noah and his Ark.... (pause for effect)
...The Babylonians have a myth that predates the Torah (and thus the Bible)
...."The Epic of Gilgamesh"......

The Mediterranean did flood (probably from the Black Sea), but that flood happened about 5 million years ago. So something else happened roughly 4000-5000 years ago. That is evidenced by the colossal damage to Hagar Qim on the island of Malta.

Food for thought...
The Druids wrote nothing down, and memorized everything...
/|\ Mark /|\

Image Image
2011 BS
Speakers Corner (Sep 2011) A lesson in the Ogham
Divination method; The Awen Stones

Guild Chief; ADF Scholars Guild, Scribe GotRP ADF, Bandarach Council member, NOD Council member

ImageImageImageImage

Oneonine

Post by Oneonine » 14 Oct 2010, 21:26

I saw a programme that said 5000-6000 years ago the seas were rising, perhaps not in an epic disaster movie kind of way, but 2metres of coastline was disappearing per year, and places like Doggerland disappeared forever. Parts of the Indian coastline disappeared at this rate too, and it caused migrations of people all around the world. Perhaps such myths date to this period, and we just assume something more spectacular is meant by the flood myths.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Post by DJ Droood » 14 Oct 2010, 21:39

Oneonine wrote: Perhaps such myths date to this period, and we just assume something more spectacular is meant by the flood myths.
That is my feeling to..or perhaps a folk memory of something spectacular like a glacial ice dam bursting.

(just searched Yeung Wing-Cheung...absolutely no news in 6 months)
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Oneonine

Post by Oneonine » 14 Oct 2010, 21:53

I think such a thing might be remembered where it happened, and the fame spread, even. But worldwide the seas rising is a common denominator.

Lands like Japan where the seas didn't rise during the inhabited period have no such myths, I read somewhere.

echoe

Post by echoe » 18 Dec 2010, 03:20

I remember some news articles that a professor passed along. Of course there were floods in the Mediterranean regions. In any place that has water. If we look to the bible, it's best to remember that it's pieces of memories. It's not the whole world. i'd believe that some guy was crazy enough to gather what animals he could, but not all, heck how was he gonna collect one each of the male or female versions of lions and tigers and bears without getting a lot of people killed? I believe there was a narrative of a flood that happened in the "world" they perceived, because they didn't realize there was a whole lot of more world than they'd recorded.

Okay, anyway... the articles passed along, they were about (the professor's dad was an archeologist and he was a professor of history) a Greek Island which is still there today. It linked the possibllity that this was the Atlantis, that everyone talked about as the middle of the large island was volcanic and it both exploded and then imploded sinking into the sea and taking a lot of people right along with it. Well, the timing of the volcanic eruption was actually recorded by the Egyptians, who saw it across the mediterranean because it burned that brightly. These were a people they'd traded with, so also in the heiroglyphics (the Egyptians were historians as well) and when the vocano had finally died down enough, they found no one any longer on the island. I'm sorry, I can't remember the name of the island, but nowadays, it's not uncommon for donkeys walking along with burdens to fall into a "cavern" which was once the house and room dated from the time of that volcanic eruption. Along with the eruption, came a huge tsunami that hit the entire mediterranean area. Well, let's just say it also conveniently hits the time period IF Moses existed that he would have been leaving Egypt, during Ramses. (the Egyptians may not have recorded it because they lost, but they did not record anything about Moses or the Jews leaving.) The tsunami took several days after the volcanic eruption was recorded. But ash (manna? Volcanic ash is also high in mineral content.) was also all over the place, in every region people were having trouble breathing and they were dying due to the ash in the lungs.

Does the tsunami also offer the possibility of an explanation for Moses having parted the waters? Plenty ot other explanations offered towards that too. But well, I figure Noah probably built an ark. I think he only took his kids and wife and the kids' wives, and only a few animals. Which nowadays would seem foolish as we don't know what we'd introduce in a new region. And realy, Turkey? Guy didn't get very far did he? For a world flood that is. What's it take to sail across the Atlantic? (I have no idea that, but it would seem not 40 days???) You'd think a sudden flood like that would cause at least SOME propulsion. Major lack of navigation skills there.

There are also stories of a flood in the Bretagne region of Mt. Saint Michel. It is said that it used to be a mountain, hence the name, and that there were huge and vast forests in the region, but that one day, around 500 BCE there was a huge roar and the sea rolled in covering all but that tiny tip of the mounain in sea sludge and erasing the whole forest and all of the people who lived there. I think these things are certainly possible even though we may not have proof of them.

I kind of chuckle at the perception of "world" from the earliest of days. The Europeans were blissfully ignorant of the existence of the Americas, but the Vikings weren't. The Chinese and the Mongols weren't. Native Americans weren't. Yet we chart the "discovery" of the Americas with Columbus missing his compass readings and probably drinking a LOT on that trip. I'd hazard an educated guess that Noah didn't realize that there was more than the Mediterranean region.

wolf560

Post by wolf560 » 18 Dec 2010, 06:23

echoe wrote:I remember some news articles that a professor passed along... they were about a Greek Island ...
Yes, Santorini (also known as Thera) which has some very startling similarities to Platos story of Atlantis as transcribed from Solon the Egyptian historian. If you consider that the number used to describe the circumference has both a Greek and an Egyptian value. The number Plato described was thought to be in Greek (and therefore 1000) but is only 100 in the original Egyptian text. If that possibility of mis-translation is taken into account the Thera becomes the logical place of origin in both time and place for Solons story in Platos re-telling.

I want go to there on my next trip to the Mediterranean, I hear it is absolutely beautiful now and a real vacation spot for sunbathers and hot spring enthusiasts.
/|\ Mark /|\

Image Image
2011 BS

Guild Chief; ADF Scholars Guild, Scribe GotRP ADF, Bandarach Council member, NOD Council member

ImageImageImageImage

wolf560

Post by wolf560 » 18 Dec 2010, 06:34

echoe wrote:I kind of chuckle at the perception of "world" from the earliest of days. The Europeans were blissfully ignorant of the existence of the Americas, but the Vikings weren't. Yet we chart the "discovery" of the Americas with Columbus missing his compass readings and probably drinking a LOT on that trip.
I ran across an article years ago that referenced the "Pilot Book" of Columbus and how it obtained it as a wedding gift from his Father-in-Law who was the "Grand Navigator" of a group of Christian Holy Knights in Spain (or perhaps Portugal) at the time. The group was called the "Christos de Milisto" (I'm still trying to find that reference so I offer no URL's at this time).

Bottom line the story went that he got the "Pilot Book" from his Father in law and it had a map of a world across the Atlantic. He was not "bravely going where no man had gone before" like a medieval Captain Kirk... he was following like a poor mans Captain Picard (LOL).

I did find an accusation made against Christopher Columbus after his death as to him being the first to make the crossing from Europe, but not exactly what I was searching for.
http://books.google.com/books?id=AicSAA ... ok&f=false
/|\ Mark /|\

Image Image
2011 BS

ImageImageImageImage

echoe

Post by echoe » 18 Dec 2010, 06:47

If you're going there on vacation, I demand that you take me with you! LOL You are SO right, it was indeed Santorini, and Thera...How nice to know someone who has the exact details and not the holes in the memory I sometimes suffer.

Ah, I so miss the Mediterranean!

wolf560

Post by wolf560 » 18 Dec 2010, 07:23

I wrote down a list of places that I wanted to experience personally;
Pyramids at Giza
Stonehenge and Woodhenge
Avebury Ring
Tintagel Castle

Brugh na' Boyne
Parthenon
Roman Coliseum
Thera/ Santorini
Pompeii
Crete
Rhodes
Tyre
Lions Gate of Constantinople
Ziggarut of Ur
Tulum
Chichen Itza

Palenque
Ankor Wat
Golden Buddha
Sleeping Buddha
Imperial Chinese City
Imperial Japanese City
Original Kamikaze airstrip
Anything in Australia, New ZeaLand, and Southern Chile

I highlighted all the places I have been to and left the rest in light print.
I (hopefully) have another 30 years or so in which to visit the rest of these places.

I will definitely invite anyone that wants to come along when I do so.
I am planning the next trip in about 2 years or so.
/|\ Mark /|\

Image Image
2011 BS

ImageImageImageImage

Maskdt
OBOD Bard

Post by Maskdt » 17 Jan 2011, 05:23

You know, just once I wish that Noah's ark would be discovered by someone with a degree in archeology. Not only would that lend it some credibility, but then there'd be someone at the site who's been trained in how to excavate valuable (and fragile!) artifacts without accidentally destroying what information could be gathered from both the artifacts they remove from the site as well as the site itself. These things need meticulous documentation since the positions of objects in relation to the site as well as each other contains a wealth of information that's lost the instant they're moved.

For example, say you find a clay doll. Was it found on or near a mantel? That could suggest that it was part of a building's decor or possibly a permanent or semi-permanent part of an altar. Was it found in a pile of ancient detritus? Maybe it was a child's toy that got broken or was unwanted, or if it was a religious item, maybe the act of breaking or throwing it away was part of a ritual. The doll by itself offers only information on its construction: the materials, what technique was most likely used to create it, and hints about its place of origin.

Return to “The Skeptical Druid”