HYPATIA DAY MARCH 15TH

A forum for the discussion of heuristic questions relating to Druidry using verifiable methods. Fo-fúair!
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult. — Hippocrates

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
Dendrias

Re: HYPATIA DAY MARCH 15TH

Post by Dendrias » 12 Nov 2010, 22:38

I can't find a discussion on the site You linked.
cursuswalker wrote:you cannot find any earlier source for those quotes than the novel in which they appear?
Did You?

cursuswalker
OBOD Bard

Post by cursuswalker » 13 Nov 2010, 10:24

Not yet. The search continues :)
ImageTHE DRUIDIC ORDER OF NATURALISTS
http://www.caerabred.org/

cursuswalker
OBOD Bard

Post by cursuswalker » 13 Nov 2010, 10:26

Re the discussion, it is in the form of two long comments at the bottom of the page.

Dendrias

Post by Dendrias » 13 Nov 2010, 12:47

I know that You meant the comments - but is that a discussion? kolbayar has got one point he supports with arguments, but that's about philosophy and myth only. I don't want to be too picking. I'm sorry when I sound too arrogant.
We both can go checking around. Have You read the late-antique sources?

cursuswalker
OBOD Bard

Post by cursuswalker » 14 Nov 2010, 01:38

Dendrias wrote:I know that You meant the comments - but is that a discussion? kolbayar has got one point he supports with arguments, but that's about philosophy and myth only. I don't want to be too picking. I'm sorry when I sound too arrogant.
We both can go checking around. Have You read the late-antique sources?

Not sure. Details?

cursuswalker
OBOD Bard

Post by cursuswalker » 14 Nov 2010, 01:43

cursuswalker wrote:
Arth Frown wrote:
cursuswalker wrote: You seem to be relying upon my criticism of Christianity as a criticism of the idea rather than addressing the reasons behind that criticism. This is an appeal to motive verging on ad hominem.

Yes, I am suspicious to your motive.
And what do you suspect my motive to be?
To elaborate, how suspicious can the motives be of a known atheist pagan and rational skeptic promoting an event commemorating the death of a pagan who was also a famous rationalist on a section of a Druid forum set aside for skepticism?

Dendrias

Post by Dendrias » 14 Nov 2010, 19:41

This seems to be going round in circles. I'm dizzy, by now.
On October 28th, I had some sentences on several sources. After that, I discussed the validity of modern sources. After I said, for the second time, that said citations are from a novel, You answered the novel-problem. Would You please check again Oct. 28th? As a shortcut? Please?

cursuswalker
OBOD Bard

Post by cursuswalker » 14 Nov 2010, 20:27

Dendrias wrote:This seems to be going round in circles. I'm dizzy, by now.
On October 28th, I had some sentences on several sources. After that, I discussed the validity of modern sources. After I said, for the second time, that said citations are from a novel, You answered the novel-problem. Would You please check again Oct. 28th? As a shortcut? Please?
Your wish is my command :)

Besides, I actually want to know now.

Dendrias

Post by Dendrias » 15 Nov 2010, 20:44

I won't give any commands to You! :wink:
As soon as I sound too arrogant, demanding or annoying, just tell me.

Funny, that in German, humanities are part of what we call "science" - "Wissenschaft". So, you don't study "literature", but "literatur-science", not "linguistics" but "language-science" (although "linguistics" has a word on it's own), not "history" but "historic science" (although "history" ... You get it.) And for a reason, I tend to think. Humanities are not comparable to exact sciences, but are done with a method (like hermeneutics). They tend to, I think, reflect their method more than exact sciences do, although I've never done any studies in other subjects.
Part of what I learned in my studies was: Cling to sources and read well. After having read them carefully, don't use sledge-hammer-arguments on them. While reading them, reflect them in their own circumstances (preventing anachronisms).
Not surprisingly, a lot of druids don't cling to sources or don't read carefully.

I didn't write that to criticise You or to tell You off; I just wanted to tell You, that not my wish is Your command, but that reading carefully is paying respect to the sources. That has always been important to me in this thread: paying respect to olden times.

See Ya.

Arth Frown

Post by Arth Frown » 17 Nov 2010, 17:40

cursuswalker wrote: To elaborate, how suspicious can the motives be of a known atheist pagan and rational skeptic promoting an event commemorating the death of a pagan who was also a famous rationalist on a section of a Druid forum set aside for skepticism?
Ok fair enough, just that Hypatia like it says in your last link is used by atheists as political point scoring.

It seems to be encouraging anti-christian sentiment of your facebook page link
Learning about our past can give us answers in the future

http://www.dunbrython.org.uk/

cursuswalker
OBOD Bard

Post by cursuswalker » 18 Nov 2010, 09:54

Arth Frown wrote:
cursuswalker wrote: To elaborate, how suspicious can the motives be of a known atheist pagan and rational skeptic promoting an event commemorating the death of a pagan who was also a famous rationalist on a section of a Druid forum set aside for skepticism?
Ok fair enough, just that Hypatia like it says in your last link is used by atheists as political point scoring.

It seems to be encouraging anti-christian sentiment of your facebook page link

Well "point-scoring" is a bit of a loaded term really. One man's point scoring is another man's making a point.

I have deliberately included a sign of reconciliation in the commemoration by suggesting joining in with Lent for the day, as she was killed during that season. Take a look at the latest post from a Christian.

Dendrias

Post by Dendrias » 08 Mar 2011, 10:51

I was reminded of the old Hypatia-thread by German wikipedia's "today's featured article". It's just one week to go to commemorate/celebrate either Caesar's or Hypatia's death. Which will You do?

cursuswalker
OBOD Bard

Post by cursuswalker » 08 Mar 2011, 10:57

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Return to “The Skeptical Druid”