Are the dragons real?

A forum for the discussion of heuristic questions relating to Druidry using verifiable methods. Fo-fúair!
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult. — Hippocrates

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
User avatar
treegod
OBOD Druid
Posts: 2141
Joined: 26 Apr 2007, 16:28
Gender: Male
Location: Catalonia, Spain
Contact:

Re: Are the dragons real?

Post by treegod » 24 Mar 2011, 23:40

Reality is... I don't know to be honest.

That's not the "real" issue.

Whether or not dragons are real or not, that's child's play. What do they mean and the role they have in life, that for me is what is important.

User avatar
Ghostrider
OBOD Bard
Posts: 1619
Joined: 16 Jan 2007, 00:49
Gender: Male
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Are the dragons real?

Post by Ghostrider » 25 Mar 2011, 10:56

ok.. Treegod here pretty much said what I wanted to :grin:
No need to apologise for asking either, I was just curious why you were doubting the Dragons?
DJ Droood wrote:
Ghostrider wrote:Even if they are 'mere' creations of the mind, does that make them less real? You're mind is real. Your thoughts are real, so why would the experiences your receive from 'something' (your mind, the Spirits, Gods or even Santa) be unreal?
Dillusional disorders could have a number of causes....biological, genetic, brain injury, drugs.....not saying that the querent has any of those, but I think it is important to distinguish between a healthy imagination and the lonely, frightening experience of seeing and hearing things others don't.
Ah yes.. but that's where the keeping control comes in, now doesn't it.
On the other hand.. quite a few people suffering from dillusional disorders go far in life... Many of them have or ARE running countries even.. :shrug:
Image
"I don't suffer from INSANITY!! I enjoy every minute of it!"

R0wdy Atomic WEDGIE-master

Image
2007 SBImage
Image
Finder of lost Message board Souls of the Most Holy (or not) Order of Slightly Reformed Non-Visigoth Circus Performers

User avatar
DJ Droood
OBOD Druid
Posts: 5558
Joined: 02 Feb 2003, 18:52
Gender: Male
Location: North Eastern North America
Contact:

Re: Are the dragons real?

Post by DJ Droood » 25 Mar 2011, 11:56

Ghostrider wrote:Ah yes.. but that's where the keeping control comes in, now doesn't it.
On the other hand.. quite a few people suffering from dillusional disorders go far in life... Many of them have or ARE running countries even.. :shrug:
I'll assume you are goofing around Ghostrider...I think many people who work in social services or have family members with schizophrenia, dementia, etc would report that most are suffering terribly, self medicating and often living very marginal existences..."self control" rarely comers into play. It is people who can separate fantasy from reality that can enjoy things like dragons and Harry potter and Jodie Foster.
Image
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
Image
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

User avatar
Ghostrider
OBOD Bard
Posts: 1619
Joined: 16 Jan 2007, 00:49
Gender: Male
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Are the dragons real?

Post by Ghostrider » 25 Mar 2011, 12:17

Yes and no on the goofing.

Yes.. many ppl truly suffer from the things you say and I cannot asume they 'enjoy' those things very much.

But I stick to the other part. Many ppl with dilussions of grandure seem to be able to convince others of their 'vision(s)' and 'ideas' and seem to be doing very well. Hopefully plenty of ppl disagree with 'em as well, otherwise WW3 might be just round the corner.
If they believe in Dragons... I doubt it, but who knows.

Same applies to many Pagans, unfortunately. I've met plenty of them who seem to think they are 'better' because they can 'communicate' with 'Others' and mere newbie-Pagans cannot. To me, this spells: FAIL.
To me, you have lost control in that case. Your 'ideas' are running away with you. Perhaps there is a medical explanation, perhaps it's 'just' megalomania. I dunno.

Fortunately, there is a whole bunch of Pagans who are not that judgemental, nor do they condemn or praise others for their 'level' of Paganism, or whatever Path they follow.

Anyway.. this is all off-topic me thinks. Back to work!
Image
"I don't suffer from INSANITY!! I enjoy every minute of it!"

R0wdy Atomic WEDGIE-master

Image
2007 SBImage
Image
Finder of lost Message board Souls of the Most Holy (or not) Order of Slightly Reformed Non-Visigoth Circus Performers

User avatar
cursuswalker
OBOD Bard
Posts: 1076
Joined: 26 May 2004, 20:29
Gender: Male
Location: Airstrip One.
Contact:

Re: Are the dragons real?

Post by cursuswalker » 25 Mar 2011, 13:33

FoxPhantom wrote:
cursuswalker wrote:
FoxPhantom wrote: Auras are real, psychics are real, same as being able to feel energy. (In my perspective) So if my perspective was not existent, it would make it real? or would it simply be all in my head? Guess the whole world is real, but what about everyone else? Is it possible everyone is dreaming the same thing all at once?
Occam's Razor demands the explanation that introduces the least unwarranted assumptions.

So if we are all dreaming then that assumes a "real" place where we are doing this. For which the evidence is.....nothing. So we slice that away and conclude that we are not all dreaming the same dream. This is really happening.

That, like all conclusions, is provisional upon no furhter evidence coming to light, such as Lawrence Fishburn turning up at your front door with a red pill and a blue pill.
Ok, so what I thought was entirely wrong. So then if everything exists not as everyone one dreams the earth to be, then everything is as it is?
That is not what I said.

All conclusions are ultimately provisional, dependant on any evidence that contradicts them not coming to light.

There is no verifiable evidence that we are all actually dreaming nor of any place where we are all doing this. Thus it is an assertion that can be safely ignored until any evidence in its favour comes along.

In the absense of such evidence THIS really is reality, as perceived by our evolved sensory organs and brains.
ImageTHE DRUIDIC ORDER OF NATURALISTS
http://www.caerabred.org/

User avatar
FoxPhantom
Posts: 128
Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 22:18
Gender: Male
Location: Usa
Contact:

Re: Are the dragons real?

Post by FoxPhantom » 25 Mar 2011, 17:10

Sorry about locking this. Since it did go off topic, and Treegod is right. (As are you all).
I did learn about two thing: when falling, the earth will hit hard if high up. (I am not prepared) As for imagination, even though I don't have a full concept about it anymore. But whatever happens in there, stays there. (yes what I think might be wrong, since it's been proven).




Admin note: Topic locked at the request of the OP.
Selene

Locked

Return to “The Skeptical Druid”