End of days in 2012?

A forum for the discussion of heuristic questions relating to Druidry using verifiable methods. Fo-fúair!
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult. — Hippocrates

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
Locked
User avatar
Mountainheart
OBOD Bard
Posts: 385
Joined: 24 Nov 2008, 22:26
Gender: Male
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: End of days in 2012?

Post by Mountainheart » 20 Sep 2011, 07:40

Aitrus wrote:
Mountainheart wrote:
Angelique11 wrote:I don't know the answer , I don't think there is one.
For me the answer is to live for the moment: enjoy today for today because tomorrow I may be dead in a car crash; struck down with cancer etc etc. But *today* I am happy, well fed, enjoying a glass of wine. Why spoil today by worrying about tomorrow?

Thx
David
Look to the lesson of the Grasshopper and the Ant for the answer to this one. DJ has it right - You don't need to obsess about tomorrow, but you can't forget about it either. Balance, both in thinking about tomorrow and about enjoying today, guides my actions.
Of course you are right about the need for balance. It makes sense to prepare for eventualities; and where there are concerns for the future to take whatever actions you can to achieve the outcome that one sees as the ideal: but to me worry is 'a state of disturbance' which often takes you away from being balanced.

Worry is like a warning bell telling you that something needs to be acted upon: in short sharp bursts it is positive because it ensures that you steer away from or prepare for potentially harmful occurances: but if the alarm bell cannot be turned off or gives too many false alarms then it becomes a problem. IMO

Thx
David

User avatar
Aitrus
Posts: 261
Joined: 17 Dec 2009, 01:12
Gender: Male
Location: Spokane, Washington
Contact:

Re: End of days in 2012?

Post by Aitrus » 20 Sep 2011, 16:36

So then worry is never justified?
I agree that it's wrong to let worry over any subject override balance, but to be completely without worry is not realistic, don't you think?
Mountainheart wrote:Of course you are right about the need for balance. It makes sense to prepare for eventualities; and where there are concerns for the future to take whatever actions you can to achieve the outcome that one sees as the ideal: but to me worry is 'a state of disturbance' which often takes you away from being balanced.

Worry is like a warning bell telling you that something needs to be acted upon: in short sharp bursts it is positive because it ensures that you steer away from or prepare for potentially harmful occurances: but if the alarm bell cannot be turned off or gives too many false alarms then it becomes a problem. IMO

Thx
David
If that's the case then why do we worry about our environment, our children's future or the economy? While heeding the hardwired survival warning bell that goes off every once in a while, I think that on certain close-to-the-heart issues long-term concern is warranted as well.

I think there's varrying levels of "worry". There's the apathetic citizen, the concerned citizen, the prepared citizen, the pessimist who can't think of hardly anything else but the bad thing happening, plus varying degrees in between. This can happen with any subject of concern. My mother is on the nearly pessimist side of "My son is going to hell" side of things, while I'm on the "prepared citizen" side when it comes to the economy and being ready for winter.
You may not be able to outrun Death, but you can sure make the Bastard work for it!
-Opening line from an Andromeda episode

If at first you don't succeed, redefine success - Unknown

User avatar
Mountainheart
OBOD Bard
Posts: 385
Joined: 24 Nov 2008, 22:26
Gender: Male
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: End of days in 2012?

Post by Mountainheart » 20 Sep 2011, 16:44

Aitrus wrote:So then worry is never justified?
I didn't say that. As a short term 'alarm bell' I think it is very healthy.
Aitrus wrote:If that's the case then why do we worry about our environment, our children's future or the economy?
I don't very much. Not out of apathy but because if something is outside my control I simply don't worry about it.
Aitrus wrote:While heeding the hardwired survival warning bell that goes off every once in a while, I think that on certain close-to-the-heart issues long-term concern is warranted as well.


Concern, yes but I don't see that as the same as 'worry'.

User avatar
DJ Droood
OBOD Druid
Posts: 5558
Joined: 02 Feb 2003, 18:52
Gender: Male
Location: North Eastern North America
Contact:

Re: End of days in 2012?

Post by DJ Droood » 26 Sep 2011, 15:33

I think it will look more like this:
"It hurts a lot, our pockets are empty. We are cutting down on expenses every day," said 50-year-old postman Costas Apostolou after dropping off envelopes at the entrance of a building in central Athens.

"They have cut my salary by about 15 percent. Will these measures get us out of the crisis? I don't think so," said the father of one in Syntagma Square, the epicenter for protests against cuts and where bloody clashes took place in June.

This week transport and taxi unions plan to stage more strikes, causing commuter chaos, slowing down business and hitting Greek's important tourist trade. Big national strikes are planned by public and private sector unions in October.

"These transport strikes are unbearable. We all have problems, we shouldn't be taking it out on each other," said Maria, a 24-year-old teacher.

"EXPLODE, TAKE TO STREETS"

All Greeks are complaining about the effect of the cuts. Some say it's not fair, others blame the world banking system and some are making plans to get their money out of the country or emigrate to start a new life.

"It's very bad. We built our lives differently, with bank loans and cards. Now they are cutting our salaries, and business is dropping. How will we pay?," said Kyriaki Alexiou, a 50-year-old doctor, adding:

"This is not getting us anywhere. If they don't do something to fix this, people will be hungry. They will eventually explode and take to the streets."
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/greeks-feel-dr ... 52404.html
Image
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
Image
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

User avatar
Mountainheart
OBOD Bard
Posts: 385
Joined: 24 Nov 2008, 22:26
Gender: Male
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: End of days in 2012?

Post by Mountainheart » 26 Sep 2011, 19:44

DJ Droood wrote:I think it will look more like this:
"It hurts a lot, our pockets are empty. We are cutting down on expenses every day," said 50-year-old postman Costas Apostolou after dropping off envelopes at the entrance of a building in central Athens.

"They have cut my salary by about 15 percent. Will these measures get us out of the crisis? I don't think so," said the father of one in Syntagma Square, the epicenter for protests against cuts and where bloody clashes took place in June.

This week transport and taxi unions plan to stage more strikes, causing commuter chaos, slowing down business and hitting Greek's important tourist trade. Big national strikes are planned by public and private sector unions in October.

"These transport strikes are unbearable. We all have problems, we shouldn't be taking it out on each other," said Maria, a 24-year-old teacher.

"EXPLODE, TAKE TO STREETS"

All Greeks are complaining about the effect of the cuts. Some say it's not fair, others blame the world banking system and some are making plans to get their money out of the country or emigrate to start a new life.

"It's very bad. We built our lives differently, with bank loans and cards. Now they are cutting our salaries, and business is dropping. How will we pay?," said Kyriaki Alexiou, a 50-year-old doctor, adding:

"This is not getting us anywhere. If they don't do something to fix this, people will be hungry. They will eventually explode and take to the streets."
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/greeks-feel-dr ... 52404.html
In the not to distant future I could see Greece becoming the first euro zone country to experience a military coup. What impact would *that* have on the financial markets...?

User avatar
Merlyn
OBOD Druid
Posts: 8784
Joined: 02 Feb 2003, 23:56
Gender: Male
Location: By candle light, penning the dragon's dream.
Contact:

Re: End of days in 2012?

Post by Merlyn » 27 Sep 2011, 21:01

End of days in 2012?
"End of the old days" is more like it. Lots is changing and with no doubt in my mind, it isn't going to be business as usual. For some like me, this all began a long time ago and I get a kick out of seeing the revelations that this is all news. If I was to prepare, I would as I have, stock what I need to hunt, plant and grow. Holding food for a few days isn't going to get anyone very far.
Change: isn't what Obama thinks :-) We are never going back, things are not in a recession, they are all in a time of flux. The sooner people look away from the news and get a grip, the sooner people will make the progress into this new age. 2012 isn't the end, it is the beginning. The coffers of the rich will last no longer than storing black beans in the cupboard, it will all spend and end, as money fails to have the value it once had. A "debt note" is a slave bill in essence. People are turning away from credit, credit scores, interest and interest rates and living in a state of never ending bills. Not so much by choice, but by necessity, we all have to put an end to "interest slavery".
Knowledge: it's something we are going to have to rely on. How many could successfully plant and grow crops? Make metal from iron ore? do the lost arts that built all we know?
Commuting to work is already in grid-lock. Living in paradise and working in the city isn't going to be the case much longer. Government is trying very hard to hold onto the reins and force everything into government contracts, union labor and play like they are going to take care of us with government sponsored health care.....

All the while the sands empty from the hour glass...

Merlyn /|\
Image :emerit:
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o wybod, gwybod yn gyfiawn;
ac o wybod yn gyfiawn ei garu;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

Muddy Fox

Re: End of days in 2012?

Post by Muddy Fox » 27 Sep 2011, 22:43

Very true Merlin, I was discussing this very topic, this evening. There only has to be an addition or a subtraction, and everything will collapse. We are on a knife edge.

User avatar
Merlyn
OBOD Druid
Posts: 8784
Joined: 02 Feb 2003, 23:56
Gender: Male
Location: By candle light, penning the dragon's dream.
Contact:

Re: End of days in 2012?

Post by Merlyn » 28 Sep 2011, 01:07

We are on a knife edge.
:blink:

So very true,
Going back to the place near the city I lived in four years ago, I note the stress, the anger and the pace everyone there seems to think is normal.
Too many cars for the roads, so much consumption that the water they drink is recycled sewage, just a slight misjudgement causes hours of gridlock and road rage.....

It gives me the creeps... :duck:

I work where I live now, and many who come by stand in an awe struck awakening, like "you can do this?". :huh:
And I tell them yes, it is the way of the future, and the way of the long forgotten past. I have been doing so for over 15 years..
(I was forced out by the city "rules") Now I live far from the city :wink:

Merlyn /|\
Image :emerit:
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o wybod, gwybod yn gyfiawn;
ac o wybod yn gyfiawn ei garu;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

User avatar
kytty
OBOD Bard
Posts: 322
Joined: 01 Mar 2007, 00:04
Gender: Female
Location: under the milky way
Contact:

Re: End of days in 2012?

Post by kytty » 29 Sep 2011, 08:53

Canu Taliesin some interesting thoughts.
a fluffy bunny discussion in the skeptical druid board - didnt expect that!
Nico are you off walking.....?
spirits of trees
live within us all

there is as much variation within a breed
as there is between them.


Image
2007 SB [img]http://druidry.org/board/dhp/images/smi ... 08.gif[img]

User avatar
Merlyn
OBOD Druid
Posts: 8784
Joined: 02 Feb 2003, 23:56
Gender: Male
Location: By candle light, penning the dragon's dream.
Contact:

Re: End of days in 2012?

Post by Merlyn » 29 Sep 2011, 14:11

It could just be the math
Mayan.jpg
Mayan.jpg (53.12 KiB) Viewed 3986 times
Image :emerit:
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o wybod, gwybod yn gyfiawn;
ac o wybod yn gyfiawn ei garu;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

User avatar
Heddwen
OBOD Druid
Posts: 4510
Joined: 26 Sep 2007, 16:06
Gender: Female
Location: West Wales
Contact:

Re: End of days in 2012?

Post by Heddwen » 29 Sep 2011, 14:59

kytty wrote: Nico are you off walking.....?
.....probably he's preparing for Armageddon....

User avatar
kytty
OBOD Bard
Posts: 322
Joined: 01 Mar 2007, 00:04
Gender: Female
Location: under the milky way
Contact:

Re: End of days in 2012?

Post by kytty » 30 Sep 2011, 06:24

or perhaps he's not so easily diverted from that which he holds dear... :shrug:
spirits of trees
live within us all

there is as much variation within a breed
as there is between them.


Image
2007 SB [img]http://druidry.org/board/dhp/images/smi ... 08.gif[img]

User avatar
Explorer
OBOD Druid
Posts: 2511
Joined: 10 Jul 2004, 22:54
Gender: Male
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: End of days in 2012?

Post by Explorer » 30 Sep 2011, 11:13

kytty wrote:or perhaps he's not so easily diverted from that which he holds dear... :shrug:
In fact, I was off walking, just spent some time in the swedish wilderness, hiking Sanfljallet National Park. And it was absolutely brilliant.

But I also kind of retreated from this forum and most other parts of DHP.
The mixture of doom thinking, stupidity and sheer insanity on this board is sometimes a bit like Cerridwens dark brew. I find it distressing and suffocating, it is like coming back from the woods, turning on the news, and see another pile of mutilated dead bodies left over from the latest suicide bombing somewhere across the globe. I don't need that, frankly, I don't care. This all has nothing to do with my life, or my druidry.

The main reason for my retreat, however, is that some of that brew spills over into my private life. Somebody from this board, who I never met, is constantly trying to discredit me behind my back to my friends (IRL). I've heard it from 3 different sides now, and that is just crossing the line for me. And since he is 'druid grade' he has access to the same forums as I have, so there is no 'safe haven' where I can speak my thoughts without antagonising him.

So I changed my name back to 'Explorer', to have slightly more anonimity, and will disappear into the background. The crazies can have the board, I will take the woods.

:tiphat:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Image

User avatar
kytty
OBOD Bard
Posts: 322
Joined: 01 Mar 2007, 00:04
Gender: Female
Location: under the milky way
Contact:

Re: End of days in 2012?

Post by kytty » 30 Sep 2011, 12:01

i am so sorry to hear what has been happening behind the scenes.
i may not have always agreed with you but you have enlightened me and released me from sheople and sheepdom.
for that i thank you.
i wish you peace, happiness and contentment where every your life may take you
here's to you bud :gulp:
kytty
spirits of trees
live within us all

there is as much variation within a breed
as there is between them.


Image
2007 SB [img]http://druidry.org/board/dhp/images/smi ... 08.gif[img]

User avatar
skydove
OBOD Ovate
Posts: 909
Joined: 22 May 2008, 19:04
Gender: Female
Location: Warwickshire
Contact:

Re: End of days in 2012?

Post by skydove » 30 Sep 2011, 12:41

Explorer, Can I second what Kytty has said. I have learned so much from your comments, thoughts and ideas, and whilst not always agreeing with all of them, non the less value them immensely as you are one of the people on the board who help me think things through and provide a balance when my own thoughts are going a bit wooly.
I am very saddened to hear of your experiences it is such a shame when some people cannot respect other peoples views and try to undermine them as people. Try not to take it to heart for too long though, this board would be lessened by you not being here.
Skydove
Image 2010 SB Image2011 LI Image Image2011 SB
'much of what she heard from the trees was her own self echoed back'
http://www.suerodger.moonfruit.com/.
December 2013 Seminar - Mask Making with Plaster Bandages

Image

User avatar
DaRC
OBOD Ovate
Posts: 5119
Joined: 06 Feb 2003, 17:13
Gender: Male
Location: Sussex
Contact:

Re: End of days in 2012?

Post by DaRC » 30 Sep 2011, 12:51

Hey Explorer - glad to hear that you enjoyed your walk.

I'm very saddened to hear of your experience with the crazies.
I would certainly miss you (and your sense!) from the board - particularly as I was hoping to start Druid grade soon.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

User avatar
DJ Droood
OBOD Druid
Posts: 5558
Joined: 02 Feb 2003, 18:52
Gender: Male
Location: North Eastern North America
Contact:

Re: End of days in 2012?

Post by DJ Droood » 30 Sep 2011, 14:14

Explorer wrote:So I changed my name back to 'Explorer', to have slightly more anonimity, and will disappear into the background. The crazies can have the board, I will take the woods.
Will you still be available for consultations?

User avatar
Explorer
OBOD Druid
Posts: 2511
Joined: 10 Jul 2004, 22:54
Gender: Male
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: End of days in 2012?

Post by Explorer » 30 Sep 2011, 14:26

DJ Droood wrote:
Explorer wrote:So I changed my name back to 'Explorer', to have slightly more anonimity, and will disappear into the background. The crazies can have the board, I will take the woods.
Will you still be available for consultations?
Only to young blonde females (although I'm not so strict about the blonde part).
Heh, I'm not totally gone, I'm just staying out of the debates.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Image

User avatar
Heddwen
OBOD Druid
Posts: 4510
Joined: 26 Sep 2007, 16:06
Gender: Female
Location: West Wales
Contact:

Re: End of days in 2012?

Post by Heddwen » 02 Oct 2011, 16:42

then again we could go the other way...

http://www.thespoof.com/news/magazine/h ... e_6453.htm

User avatar
Al Hakim
OBOD Druid
Posts: 128
Joined: 25 Jun 2011, 15:48
Gender: Male
Location: Ludwigshafen/Germany
Contact:

Re: End of days in 2012?

Post by Al Hakim » 09 Oct 2011, 20:10

Hi Explorer,
to give in is sometimes a sign of weakness. We need the multitude of opinions, even if they were wrong :)
Al Hhakim

Locked

Return to “The Skeptical Druid”