End of days in 2012?

A forum for the discussion of heuristic questions relating to Druidry using verifiable methods. Fo-fúair!
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult. — Hippocrates

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Re: End of days in 2012?

Postby DJ Droood » 09 Oct 2011, 23:32

or maybe something like this:
A GIANT explosion of energy from the Sun could paralyse Earth in just three years' time, scientists warned yesterday.

They fear a huge solar flare is due to erupt in 2013 — causing blackouts and global chaos.

The once-in-a-century disaster could see power grids crash, communication systems collapse, planes grounded, food supplies hit and the internet shut down.

Everything from home freezers to car sat navs would be affected.

The disaster could mirror the Great Solar Flare of 1859.

That wreaked horrendous damage across Europe and America — burning out telegraph wires across both continents.

The threat of another disaster — which could mirror scenes in Hollywood blockbuster 2012 — is so great that Defence Secretary Liam Fox called an emergency conference in London yesterday.

Dr Fox told experts that incalcul-able damage would be caused if an explosion similar to the one in 1859 occurred in modern times. He called on scientists to build a strategy against the impending disaster.

The talks, organised by the Electric Infrastructure Security Council, heard that the Sun will reach a critical stage of its cycle in 2013.

A surge of magnetic energy in its atmosphere is likely to trigger radiation storms which cause massive power surges.

Such a phenomenon occurs only once about every 100 years.

The last big flare, in 1859, smothered two thirds of the Earth's skies in a blood-red aurora. Such scenes could occur again, causing cloud storms in major modern cities such as London, Paris and New York.

In 1989, a more common smaller solar flare took out power stations in Quebec, Canada.

In the movie 2012, starring John Cusack, a solar flare causes global temperatures to soar. The planet is then battered by tsunamis and earthquakes, threatening mankind.

Yesterday's conference also heard that a hostile power could cause a similar effect by exploding a nuclear weapon in space.

Dr Fox added: "While we all benefit from scientific advances, so we also create vulnerabilities that can be exploited by our enemies.

"However advanced we become, the chain of our security is only as strong as its weakest link."

Last night the electric security council discussed a plan of action.

And former US government defence adviser Dr Avi Schnurr warned: "A geomagnetic storm could shatter nations all over the earth. We cannot wait for disaster to spur us to action."
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... -2013.html
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Merlyn
OBOD Druid

Postby Merlyn » 10 Oct 2011, 00:15

:duck:

:wink:

After all, proving that the world isn't going to end is bad for business if you have a doomsday book to sell.

http://news.discovery.com/space/the-201 ... wrong.html
Image :emerit:
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o wybod, gwybod yn gyfiawn;
ac o wybod yn gyfiawn ei garu;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

Canu Taliesin

Postby Canu Taliesin » 14 Oct 2011, 01:32

What's a fluffy bunny? I know what it is of course, but what does it mean here? Expect a long wait for any reply.
There will be no further admissions to the work this cycle. Thank you. CT

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Postby Bracken » 14 Oct 2011, 02:05

Hi, Canu.

I haven't read through the whole thread to find the reference, but I imagine you might be looking for THIS.

Merlyn
OBOD Druid

Postby Merlyn » 14 Oct 2011, 18:38

:hop:
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 14 Oct 2011, 19:05

Hi, Canu.

I haven't read through the whole thread to find the reference, but I imagine you might be looking for THIS.
Fluffy Bunny, or Fluffbunny, is a pejorative expression used since at least 2001 in Wicca
Since 2001, eh? So it is The (Yee?) Olde Way followed by the Wise Ones and has become Tradition.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Postby Bracken » 14 Oct 2011, 19:31

:-)

Twyrch
OBOD Druid

Postby Twyrch » 15 Oct 2011, 01:57

What's a fluffy bunny?
I *warned* you, but did you listen to me? Oh, no, you *knew*, didn't you? Oh, it's just a harmless little *bunny*, isn't it?

At least its not a chubby bunny... I played that game a long time ago. You take turns shoving large marshmallows in your mouth and say "Chubby Button" and the if you spit out any marshmallows, you're out. Last person to be able to say "Chubby Bunny" and not spit our the marshmallows wins. :yay:
Twyrch  /|\  J. D. Edwards

ImageImageImage

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Canu Taliesin

Postby Canu Taliesin » 15 Oct 2011, 02:20

How strange. I don't quite know what to make of that, Twyrch. Are you saying that the Mayan tradition is a fad?

Twyrch
OBOD Druid

Postby Twyrch » 15 Oct 2011, 03:48

How strange. I don't quite know what to make of that, Twyrch. Are you saying that the Mayan tradition is a fad?
I'm saying that there have been many "end of the world" predictions for the last 2,000 years and while the Mayan's were an incredible society, there's been so much hype over this that I wonder if it was interpreted correctly. End of the world, or perhaps a major climate change or major world event? Who knows for sure...

There have always been those who say they know when the world will end. In fact, there's a group that said the end of the world would occur on May 21, 2011. When that didn't happen, they changed the date to October 21, 2011. http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/outreac ... index.html

The best thing we can do is remain calm, listen and investigate the truth of the prophecies for ourselves.
Twyrch  /|\  J. D. Edwards

ImageImageImage

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Canu Taliesin

Postby Canu Taliesin » 15 Oct 2011, 05:40

I agree, Twyrch. The Mayan tradition continues to the present day so we can personaly assess it for ourselves. Here is part of a statement made by an elder of the tradition some years ago. I believe it explains their position. His name is Don Alejandro Cirilo Perez Oxlaj and he is spokesperson for the Council of Elders who still work with the long count. The full statement can be found here http://tierra-y-vida.blogspot.com/2007/ ... perez.html

So from the horse's mouth:

"Honourable elders, beloved people, you who hear me, I bring this message, and also a greeting to all who hear this voice, here is Wakatel Utiw, Wandering Wolf, the voice of the forest, and the messenger of the Maya, who has shared with the seven races that cover the planet Earth. I have come in fulfillment of the prophecies, that we may all walk together, no group shall be left behind. I am here in fulfillment of this prophecy, carrying this message to all that hear me and to all who love the Earth, to all who love peace, and who love themselves. We are all living beings. A tree is a life and it is an elder, the same as a human being. A plant, while it is green, is a life. The smallest animal is a life that is part of the life of human beings. The rocks have spirit. The volcanoes and mountains have spirit. The rivers, oceans, and lakes have spirit. They are all children of the Father. This is why I have come. I am the voice of the forest, the messenger of the Maya. I come to invite you to defend our Mother Earth and see that we continue to love the beauty of this great woman. We are millions and millions of human beings and we are destroying her. We are mistreating her. We are denuding and polluting her. When the Mother Earth is no longer suitable our life will be worthless. We are creating our own misfortune, our own death. The Mayan Prophecies tell us it is time to awaken, time for the dawn, so that the people will have peace and will be happy.

The Mayan Prophecies also tell us, from so much walking, so much seeking, that what we are seeking, what we have to find, at last we have found it. We are here on Earth, where we want to be. This time has come: 13 Baktun 13
A'jau, the return of the grandparents, the return of the wise ones to the measure of time. We are observing the control
of time. The time has come. May the people awaken. May they arise. May we all walk together without distinction of
race, color or creed, rich or poor, black or white, indigineous or non-indigineous, people and government, to build a
country full of peace, love, tranquility and prosperity.

This is the message of the Wandering Wolf, who has travelled throughout the Americas and who walks. Walks without money but the Father knows what he is doing with me. I do not know where I am going. I do not know where I shall
stay. I do not know if we shall ever see each other again or not but I will leave this message wherever I go. I leave it in the mind. I leave it in the heart."

kytty
OBOD Bard

Postby kytty » 16 Oct 2011, 23:22

Hi Canu Taliesin
My reference to a fluffy bunny was not about the Mayans, their traditions or their beliefs.
just my thoughts on the majority of the answers given
this is usually a very hotly debated forum based on scientific proof and evidence and many of the answers given here would normally been contested and/or dismissed.
kytty
spirits of trees
live within us all

there is as much variation within a breed
as there is between them.

2007 SB [img]http://druidry.org/board/dhp/images/smi ... 08.gif[img]

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 17 Oct 2011, 00:02

this is usually a very hotly debated forum based on scientific proof and evidence and many of the answers given here would normally been contested and/or dismissed.
kytty

I, for one, think this thread has treated the topic of End Times Prophecy with the gravitas it deserves.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
Kerry Thornley

Canu Taliesin

Postby Canu Taliesin » 17 Oct 2011, 08:04

I understand that one kind of proof trumps another here, and i guess much has aleady been said about that. Although I will reafirm the position that we cant discuss everything from the perspective of the passive observer. The engaged observer is just as valid an authority when it comes to those important matters that cant be engaged with scientifically. The 2012 prophecy cant be discussed from a scientific perspective when the traiditon that puts it forward works so obviosuly beyond the sphere of science. I agree we need to dismiss the nonsense popular culture has spawned regardng this, but the Mayan tradition is just as valid as the Druidic, and from personal experience I can vouch for the integrity of those working in that tradition. I accept this isnt data.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 17 Oct 2011, 11:51

the Mayan tradition is just as valid as the Druidic
I would argue more valid...maybe in a thousand years, when Druidry grows beyond a small New Age escapist movement and builds some pyramids and stuff, it can look actual cultures, like the Maya, in the eyes.

And I can't think of anything that is beyond the realm of skeptical inquiry, although there are many individuals and groups that *wished* they were exempt.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
Kerry Thornley

Merlyn
OBOD Druid

Postby Merlyn » 17 Oct 2011, 14:55

All prophecies of hand-in-hand human love, to end of days, aside..... :wink:
Fact is the vast majority of Mayan information that might have held answers was deliberately destroyed. Sad thing that. This mostly due to belief, and conquest.
That considered, best we do know from what little information there is, the Mayan Calendar is like a clock-work. It has many cycles within that all work in a way to a larger cycle.
This much as we seem to consider is from observing the earth, stars, planets and the cycles they move in. I would like to see if anything real has been done to consider if after the Mayan calendar ends, these cycles begin again... or... not.

Some conclusions have been made. Possibly that we will be in the same place in the galaxy we were 2012 years ago.. things like that. Given that the observations made were limited, I expect the grander scale of our galaxy and the universe, also has cycles which will not likely be the same in 2012.

Will the harmonic convergence happen in 2012? Or perhaps just another one? hard to say. I can say that the evolution of mankind has come to an interesting point now. One which I have to compare to the time when mankind was building things like pyramids, Stonehenge and other things from stone which we cannot understand. We cannot really get a grip on how stones in excess of 200 tons were crafted and fit, cut and moved into place with no mortar. One would think this ability would have some archeological evidence, some written or spoken lore to explain this kind of ability. Even with the use of cranes and technology, building things like they did in the past would prove very difficult. Slave labor only goes so far. Math and such can be considered, but not really in all cases.

Then there is motivation. The wonders of the world are locked in time. We build things now, but not in the way motivated in the past.

So much was lost, we are now left to ponder.... what next? :thinking:
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

Nightwolf

Postby Nightwolf » 03 Nov 2011, 23:32

"Fluffy bunnies" will destroy the world in 2012.

kytty
OBOD Bard

Postby kytty » 04 Nov 2011, 00:57

http://youtu.be/M4N4GxtCWIY

Hahahahaha
Fluffy bunnies WILL rule the world.
spirits of trees
live within us all

there is as much variation within a breed
as there is between them.

2007 SB [img]http://druidry.org/board/dhp/images/smi ... 08.gif[img]

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 26 Nov 2011, 22:26

Apocalypse soon, Mayan ruin predicts

London Daily Telegraph November 26, 2011

Archaeologists in Mexico have discovered a 1,300-year-old Mayan inscription which adds to speculation of an apocalypse next year.

The reference to the date 2012, which was found on a carved brick fragment at a ruin at Comalcalco, south Mexico, is the second mention of the date.

The Mayan civilization reached its height from AD 300 to 900. Its Long Count calendar begins in 3,114 BC, marking time in roughly 394-year periods known as Baktuns. Thirteen was a significant, sacred number and the 13th Baktun ends around Dec. 21, 2012. According to the Tortuguero inscription, Bolon Yokte, a Mayan god associated with war and creation, will "descend from the sky" at that time.

Mexico's National Institute of Anthropology and History said the thinking of the Mayans had been "twisted."
© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette
Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/Apo ... z1eqhpqdnl
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
Kerry Thornley

Karl

Postby Karl » 28 Nov 2011, 22:41

Was that headline written by Yoda?
Apocalypse soon, Mayan ruin predicts

Anyway if the End of the World happens all I intend to do is try to get a comfy seat and a good view, what else can you do? :gulp:
"I knows all about folk songs. Hah! You think you're listenin' to a nice song about- about cuckoos and fiddlers and nightingales and whatnot, and then it turns out to be about - about something else entirely. You can't trust folk songs. They always sneak up on you." - E. Weatherwax

A hidden connection is stronger than an overt connection.

Return to “The Skeptical Druid”