A Question....

A forum for the discussion of heuristic questions relating to Druidry using verifiable methods. Fo-fúair!
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult. — Hippocrates

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
deepwater

Re: A Question....

Postby deepwater » 16 Feb 2014, 06:35

I found the question as interesting as all the written text of the ancient Druids,,Who says we were the only ones to worship there
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

Merlyn
OBOD Druid

Re: A Question....

Postby Merlyn » 16 Feb 2014, 15:37

Ha, this is an old thread. :D
Much was found here, and insights were good.
Since this thread, more has been discovered still. If anything the mystery of stonehenge has become more-so as well as better understood.

Of the things to consider: what the climate of the time was when stonehenge was built is anyone's guess, however the possibility it happened during a time when ice was prevailing from a mini ice age is quite possible, enabling the moving of the stones on wet ice. It's a theory of course, however more and more we realize those who lived thousands of years ago were far from ignorant. How they knew what they did has many far ranging theories as well.

Our misconceptions range wildly, as much as we once thought this time we live in now would bear a very different way of life, aside from the advances in science, life remains very mundane.
One thing is clear, the more we rely on computers the less we rely on our own minds. I view the ancients as possibly much more 'able' and well learned, and this is evidenced well by the teachings of the Drui themselves.

Building something permanent like stonehenge shows a step past just the needs of the time. It expresses to me a deeper commitment and a desire which is spiritual.
It expresses to me that things we cannot prove by science, make evident or rationalize can be a stronger motivation. We have to realize "the knowing" may well be deep in our DNA, as is being studied and often expressed today.

We can say we often express our knowing in the artistic expressions, as they are vehicle for this. Stonehenge may well be an artistic expression. This would explain why so many are drawn to it, and no real scientific or historical evidence as to why..

:merlyn:
Image :emerit:
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o wybod, gwybod yn gyfiawn;
ac o wybod yn gyfiawn ei garu;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

Return to “The Skeptical Druid”