Cards

A forum for the discussion of heuristic questions relating to Druidry using verifiable methods. Fo-fúair!
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult. — Hippocrates

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
Dragon

Cards

Postby Dragon » 01 Jul 2012, 20:29

I am not thinking of the usual Tarot type but Oracle cards: plant, tree and animal.
Can the 'meanings' given to each plant, tree or animal be anything deeper than the author's imagination.?
Should the meanings be taken with a 'pinch of salt' ? After all, for example, the meaning for the Hazel Tree Oracle includes " an early grave"
should the reader not follow the advice.

treegod
OBOD Druid

Re: Cards

Postby treegod » 01 Jul 2012, 21:01

I think what matters is the individuals own associations with the cards and their own intuition. As such these oracles (even the various Tarots) are springboards for our imaginations and intuitions. "Traditional interpretations" also serve the same function; they may evoke certain relevant associations but aren't the actual "meaning" behind the cards, which are better found within oneself.

My favourite definition of divination (cards or otherwise) is confirming what you already know!

Return to “The Skeptical Druid”