Shapeshifting

A forum for the discussion of heuristic questions relating to Druidry using verifiable methods. Fo-fúair!
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult. — Hippocrates

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
Dathi
OBOD Ovate

Shapeshifting

Postby Dathi » 20 Aug 2012, 09:33

shapeshifting.jpg
shapeshifting.jpg (32.45 KiB) Viewed 7115 times
:owlhorn:
Seminar. September 2010: African Druids? Sangomas, Inyangas http://www.druidry.org/board/dhp/viewto ... =2&t=36777

2011 LI
Seminar. October 2012: Druids & Bushcraft viewtopic.php?f=326&t=41256

kukl

Re: Shapeshifting

Postby kukl » 20 Aug 2012, 11:18

The only part of this i don't believe is that someone with that much power would use it to steal a Mazda 323. :-)
And I dreamed I saw the bombers riding shotgun in the sky, and they where turning into butterflies above our nation. Joni Mitchell

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 20 Aug 2012, 11:54

The only part of this i don't believe is that someone with that much power would use it to steal a Mazda 323. :-)
haha...good one :-)

Although the issue of superstition in Nigeria is far from a laughing matter...I've seen a number of stories over the years of "witches" being killed.
Pastors in southeast Nigeria claim illness and poverty are caused by witches who bring terrible misfortune to those around them. And those denounced as witches must be cleansed through deliverance or cast out.
http://articles.cnn.com/2010-08-25/worl ... s=PM:WORLD

I have no idea of how widespread this problem is, or where it originated...although every time I flip through the channels, some Stateside Evangelical group seems to be boasting about sending over more missionaries and having rallies in Nigeria and other African countries, so I don't know if they are encouraging part of the culture that already exists or importing it.. In Uganda, there is vibrant anti-gay hatred and proposed laws to kill homosexuals, and this seems closely linked to Evangelical Christianity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uganda_Ant ... ality_Bill

Maybe if the West started importing economic justice instead of more demons and gods, the situation would improve.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Salomea
OBOD Druid

Postby Salomea » 20 Aug 2012, 17:08

I agree with DJ Droood that although the story about goat seems funny, the whole situation isn't. As far as I know it's not the Christian, or Muslim import to accuse some people of witchcraft, but it surely goes more dramatic now as the economical situation isn't getting better and the influences are mixing up leaving people believe in witchcraft and supernatural, but making it all being just evil and frighting... Funny how different cultures/beliefs go hand in hand when it comes to hurting and discriminating people. :/
Last edited by Salomea on 20 Aug 2012, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
You gain wisdom by talking with stars,
but to see them you need deep dark.

ImageImageImage
2009 SB 2010 LI 2011 IL

kukl

Postby kukl » 20 Aug 2012, 17:40

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/belief

It's uncanny how these things crop up, the goat story isn't new, it's from 2009. I just tuned into BBC radio 4, a religious discussion called 'beyond belief' and the topic was child witches. There's still a disturbing amount of child abuse caused by this dreadful superstition and they even had a Congolese pastor on defending the belief. Crazy. It's on the BBC iplayer and available as a podcast. Not sure if you'll get it outside the UK though.
And I dreamed I saw the bombers riding shotgun in the sky, and they where turning into butterflies above our nation. Joni Mitchell

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 20 Aug 2012, 20:51

And just so as not to give the impression that it is just our African brothers and sisters that are slaves to superstition :

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=92541&page=1
The devil must be busier than ever in the new millennium.

Exorcism, the ancient rite of casting out Satan and his demons from the souls of the possessed, is thriving in America and was long before recent revelations that Mother Teresa underwent one and Pope John Paul II performed them.

"It is a big phenomenon," J. Gordon Melton, a Methodist minister who directs the Institute for the Study of American Religion, says of exorcisms in the United States.

"There is a lot of exorcism going on."

Parents Fear Palm Scanning in School Could Start 'Mark of the Devil'

"As a Christian, I've read the Bible … you know, go to church and stuff," explained Sonnier. "I know where it's going to end up coming to, the mark of the beast. I'm not going to let my kids have that."
Read more at http://www.christianpost.com/news/paren ... U3IlXQx.99

Read more at http://www.christianpost.com/news/paren ... U3IlXQx.99

Just a couple of news items I found in 5 minutes of searching.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Aoife
OBOD Bard

Postby Aoife » 21 Aug 2012, 03:30

Hahahahahahahahaha. People are so dumb sometimes. :roll:

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 21 Aug 2012, 15:58

*sigh* Its ridiculous to think these things still go on....and people claim we've evolved! :roll:

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 21 Aug 2012, 16:56

all kinds of crazy...
CHICAGO (MCT) — A few months after allegedly killing his wife and three children, Christopher Vaughn wrote a jailhouse poem in a coded alphabet that referred to a stripper with whom prosecutors say Vaughn dreamed of starting a new life.

And now they want jurors to see the scribbled poem, which was written in runic symbols that the Oswego, Ill., man likely learned during his study of Druidism and pagan religions, attorneys said.

The poem was “decrypted” by the FBI, prosecutors say. The poem, written as a list of things to do, includes the enigmatic phrase “Ask Maya the question,” according to a court filing.

Prosecutors believe this is a reference to Maya Drake, a stripper Vaughn frequented. Drake was “an unwitting part” of Vaughn’s plan to start a new life in the Canadian wilderness, prosecutors say the evidence will show when his trial begins next week.
http://www.morrisdailyherald.com/2012/0 ... l/a8by1uf/
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
Kerry Thornley

Salomea
OBOD Druid

Postby Salomea » 21 Aug 2012, 19:24

@DJ Droood- I read the article You linked, but there are few things I don't understand- 1- what the poem has to do with rest? 2. what the fact it was runic has to do with the case?(2.a.- do they really find the "encrypting" an achievement?) 3. what does “live off the land” means in that context? 4.I thought druids used/are connected with ogham, I'm wrong or something, cause it is not similar to modern alphabet... 5.Was that article really published, because although it says the trial has not started, it all sounds as if he was already convicted an that's not exactly presumption of innocence?(and it's not like I have any warm feeling for the guy, but it just doesn't sound right) 8-)

ImageImageImage
2009 SB 2010 LI 2011 IL

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 21 Aug 2012, 20:16

@DJ Droood- I read the article You linked, but there are few things I don't understand- 1- what the poem has to do with rest? 2. what the fact it was runic has to do with the case?(2.a.- do they really find the "encrypting" an achievement?) 3. what does “live off the land” means in that context? 4.I thought druids used/are connected with ogham, I'm wrong or something, cause it is not similar to modern alphabet... 5.Was that article really published, because although it says the trial has not started, it all sounds as if he was already convicted an that's not exactly presumption of innocence?(and it's not like I have any warm feeling for the guy, but it just doesn't sound right) 8-)

I can't really answer your questions, except the last one...this article was published on Aug 21, 2012..his trial just started....I just put "Druid lunatic" or something like that, in google news, to see what popped up...just trying to make the point that superstiution can lead to crime and mayhem in pretty much every religion.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
Kerry Thornley

Salomea
OBOD Druid

Postby Salomea » 21 Aug 2012, 22:10

I can't really answer your questions, except the last one...this article was published on Aug 21, 2012..his trial just started....I just put "Druid lunatic" or something like that, in google news, to see what popped up...just trying to make the point that superstiution can lead to crime and mayhem in pretty much every religion.
I guess those questions can be treated as rhetoric (specially two of them), but I was just hoping that You know something more about it. I'm not really sure if it's really about any religion at all and isn't it more than about superstition, about false belief (of being justified) and cowardice, [if of course the man is guilty].

ImageImageImage
2009 SB 2010 LI 2011 IL

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 22 Aug 2012, 01:41

but I was just hoping that You know something more about it. I'm not really sure if it's really about any religion at all and isn't it more than about superstition, about false belief (of being justified) and cowardice, [if of course the man is guilty].[/color]
I had stumbled across the murder story many months ago. I sometimes type "druid -hills -football -theater -wow" into google news to see what pops up, and this guy crossed the radar. Forgot about him until just now....I think you are right...probably more about a bad person who just happened to be interested in druidry.

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Postby Whitemane » 05 Sep 2012, 20:50

You know, my shape has been shifting for years. Magic has nothing to do with it.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 06 Sep 2012, 12:44

*sigh* Its ridiculous to think these things still go on....and people claim we've evolved! :roll:
For a good perspective on the whole central Africa superstition try reading this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Congo-Journey-R ... 0140121390
I don't think much has changed since 1996.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

gina
OBOD Bard

Postby gina » 16 Sep 2012, 20:14

I've had first hand knowledge of the African superstition. I used to work with a woman who came from Nigeria. When she learnt that I was a Druid she refused to be in the same room as me and tried to turn all against me. She told one of my workmates that she had had me Exorcised from afar and that as my devil powers were obviously strong her Pastor would come and do me in person. It was only after she offered to have her hubby come and beat the devil out of me, which caused me to have time off with stress that my manager did something. She no longer works with us.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 16 Sep 2012, 20:18

I've had first hand knowledge of the African superstition. I used to work with a woman who came from Nigeria. When she learnt that I was a Druid she refused to be in the same room as me and tried to turn all against me. She told one of my workmates that she had had me Exorcised from afar and that as my devil powers were obviously strong her Pastor would come and do me in person. It was only after she offered to have her hubby come and beat the devil out of me, which caused me to have time off with stress that my manager did something. She no longer works with us.
Obviously, you have superior devil powers. :shake:
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
Kerry Thornley

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 17 Sep 2012, 19:20

[quote="DJ DrooodObviously, you have superior devil powers. :shake:[/quote]
:-)

Susanne
OBOD Ovate

Postby Susanne » 18 Sep 2012, 14:18

You know, my shape has been shifting for years. Magic has nothing to do with it.
:-)

Kiara
OBOD Bard

Postby Kiara » 22 Sep 2012, 14:29

You know, my iPad didn't like the coffee I just spew all over it! Gods, that was funny. My hubby & I thank you for the morning chuckle. :grin:
ImageImage

Return to “The Skeptical Druid”