Mermaids: The Body Found

A forum for the discussion of heuristic questions relating to Druidry using verifiable methods. Fo-fúair!
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult. — Hippocrates

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
Astrid
OBOD Ovate

Re: Mermaids: The Body Found

Postby Astrid » 28 Mar 2013, 19:35

So I am not against religion, as long as it stays reasonably reasonable ;-).

A little cancer never hurt anyone, as long as it doesn't metastasis.
And when you least expect it he jumps out of the box :D So nice to see you DJ feels like it has been awhile :wink:
Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve.
Dr. Napoleon Hill
ImageImage

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 28 Mar 2013, 20:30

It is not sheer stupidity, is it? It seems to be something very deep in our psyche. A longing? a blind spot? A part of our brain that works differently?
I've stopped believing that any human can be 100% rational, which is perhaps a very rational thing to say about human nature. Our ancestors were animals without reasoning, just reactioning, and reacting to real or imagined dangers. We carry that with us still. It's better to integrate it than reject it, which is how I got into Druidry. I get to indulge in all sorts of non-rational activities without losing reasoning. :poof:

Jungian-type ramblings:
Mermaids, btw, are the symbolic representation of the anima (a la Jung) for ancient sailing types projected their fantasies onto the world around them. They failed to integrate this feminine, aquatic aspect of themselves, and so it continues as a belief of an objective, physical reality. The moral of the story: integrate your unconscious contents so you don't have to project your fantasies outside you. :wink:

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 28 Mar 2013, 20:44

So I am not against religion, as long as it stays reasonably reasonable ;-).

A little cancer never hurt anyone, as long as it doesn't metastasis.
And when you least expect it he jumps out of the box :D So nice to see you DJ feels like it has been awhile :wink:
I'm a jerk- in-the-box! :D
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Postby Whitemane » 29 Mar 2013, 12:39

Sailors were always described as god-fearing, largely because the seas are places where you can feel natural power far beyond that of any man.

Imagine surviving a storm on a sailing ship, then seeing dolphins or porpoises tearing through the sea, leaping and playing.

They may seem like spirits of the feminine aspect of water to someone physically and mentally exhausted, and that is where I think the idea of the mermaid comes from.

Remember, there have always been female water spirits, from the Oceanides and the Sirens to the Lorelei and the Rhinemaidens.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Return to “The Skeptical Druid”