Disillusioned with our species.

A forum for the discussion of heuristic questions relating to Druidry using verifiable methods. Fo-fúair!
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult. — Hippocrates

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
Aoife
OBOD Bard

Disillusioned with our species.

Postby Aoife » 16 Jun 2013, 08:47

Humanity as a majority appears to be a broken ugly thing, content only if people think and act as they do. Anything less or more than that is subject to malice of varying degrees. Self-righteous opinions come before any religion they take part in, if they take part in them at all. They put these so called righteous desires over all others. Even if they claim otherwise, which they will. Denial, excuses and blatant deceit go hand in hand with most humans. The more I read the more disillusioned I am with them. The more experience I gain the more I dislike my own species.

Humanity is part of nature and yet we scorn her. We scourge her. We deny that the earth is more apart of us than we are of it. Those that try to repair the damage are belittled and shamed by those who profit from her suffering. As technology grows, despite all it's wonders our societies regress socially. Stalking, bullying, murdering abounds seemingly more than ever before. People grow desperate and become unhinged as a result. Some of them even strive to inflict that suffering on others, beginning a new cycle of abuse. They make excuses or they mock those that judge them.

Excuses. The excuse is the great foulness of humanity. Everyone has a justification for what they do, especially if it's something others will judge them harshly for. It's always some sob story or some "right" they have to something or someone. We all have our opinions and our beliefs, and have a right to them, but we've developed the sentiment that those who do not agree with us are slobbering idiots who should be disdained and hated. Politics. Religion. Any sort of exclusive "club" that someone can align themselves with.

I don't hate humanity but I dislike it. I mistrust it. I mistrust us. Most of all though, I feel a deep sorrow that our species isn't everything it has the potential of being.

Michael C. Page
OBOD Druid
Location: In my dreams I'm Crooning at the Burgh Island Hotel

Re: Disillusioned with our species.

Postby Michael C. Page » 16 Jun 2013, 15:58

Humanity as a majority appears to be a broken ugly thing, content only if people think and act as they do. Anything less or more than that is subject to malice of varying degrees. Self-righteous opinions come before any religion they take part in, if they take part in them at all. They put these so called righteous desires over all others. Even if they claim otherwise, which they will. Denial, excuses and blatant deceit go hand in hand with most humans. The more I read the more disillusioned I am with them. The more experience I gain the more I dislike my own species.

Humanity is part of nature and yet we scorn her. We scourge her. We deny that the earth is more apart of us than we are of it. Those that try to repair the damage are belittled and shamed by those who profit from her suffering. As technology grows, despite all it's wonders our societies regress socially. Stalking, bullying, murdering abounds seemingly more than ever before. People grow desperate and become unhinged as a result. Some of them even strive to inflict that suffering on others, beginning a new cycle of abuse. They make excuses or they mock those that judge them.

Excuses. The excuse is the great foulness of humanity. Everyone has a justification for what they do, especially if it's something others will judge them harshly for. It's always some sob story or some "right" they have to something or someone. We all have our opinions and our beliefs, and have a right to them, but we've developed the sentiment that those who do not agree with us are slobbering idiots who should be disdained and hated. Politics. Religion. Any sort of exclusive "club" that someone can align themselves with.

I don't hate humanity but I dislike it. I mistrust it. I mistrust us. Most of all though, I feel a deep sorrow that our species isn't everything it has the potential of being.
Dear Zoe and the next generation,

Humanity is not fallen – Just the Mythos. And the dominant Mythos being preached is that of alienation and separatism. I think Joseph Campbell and R.J. Stewart had it right. A person’s Mythos (or belief system) is the heart and core of who you are – it’s deep, powerful and changeable. The current dominant institutions, both religious and secular, essentially preach the same message: The revealed religions teach that we are fallen in some way and separate us from the Divine, but in order to get back to the divine we need to separate ourselves from nature. Science and secular culture says essentially the same thing from a different perspective, such as; we are insignificant fleas on the dog of the universe and so have no real meaning. Both philosophies, though they pretend to be at odds, are really saying the same thing with the same results: alienation, manipulation and control.

The above is the root cause of the despair. If you program a person to believe we are both alienated from the Creative Principle of life (ie. The Gods or whatever you wish to call that principle) and the life which we have been given, that is a recipe for destruction. Therefore, what is called for is a change in personal Mythos and a walking away from the old institutions.

That is what your younger generation might wish to consider doing. Rather than violently challenge these dominant forces, just let time take care of it. The current generation in charge(the majority that is) seems to have no desire to change anything for the greater good – just to control. You can’t oppose them – they are to powerful. But if you choose non support – just walk away, then you will see the results. In the next 20 years or so, as the old guard dies, just allow those institutions, which they control, to die with them. Then your generation (the Ys) can remake the Human realm in your own image.

Also, don’t wait for the ruling generation to pass the torch of their leadership, but rather start making your own tourch now (Be the change you wish to see in some humble, positive and productive way). If you do that, by the time your generation assumes the mantle of leadership, much of the needed change will have already occurred.

With every good wish,
Michael

Last edited by Michael C. Page on 16 Jun 2013, 20:09, edited 2 times in total.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions,
perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music he hears,
however measured or far away."
- Thoreau

My harp was sacrificed to the Honorable Snarg.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 16 Jun 2013, 16:26

Its true...we can become angry, bitter, and go at humanity and its downward spiral with fists flying, but it'll do little good. Like is said, time will bring the change needed. Empires are built, and empires fall. I could sit here and fill up a book of all the complaints I have about modern society, but few would listen, and fewer would care. I think it'll be best to live by example, and maybe pass it on. If not, at least I made my life the best I could.

Aoife
OBOD Bard

Postby Aoife » 17 Jun 2013, 03:54

I live my life a way that I believe is good...it's just hard when what seems like the majority value such groundless things but also things like money and as Michael said, control. Almost every day I wish I could live in some cabin in the woods and only go into the "civilized" areas to buy food and the like. I want to change the next generation, which is why I'm involved in education. All I can do is try to change my small area of effect, for however long that lasts. John Lennon said something once about not trying to achieve peace and love on a grand scale but just starting with your own neighborhood or town and if many people do that it will eventually cover the earth. People need to want to do that first.

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 17 Jun 2013, 09:55

The only thing that stops me becoming disillusioned with the human species as a whole is to look within myself and at the few examples of humanity that exhibit the best of human potential. I'm certainly disillusioned with the majority of humans, and with very good reason, but I don't consider them to be exemplars of the species. Thankfully, one size doesn't fit all.

Carry on being disillusioned, because there are lessons to be learnt that way. Just don't become disillusioned with yourself (also Homo sapiens... I assume, lol) and the people that matter to you. :wink:

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Postby Whitemane » 17 Jun 2013, 13:34

What got us here is what got us into trouble.

Early man was not that impressive a specimen, and it was only tool and weapon use and the ability to communicate that kept him alive. Life was probably dominated by the need to get through today, and worry about tomorrow if they got there, in other words, short-term-thinking was a survival asset.

Basically, most of us are very good at short-term thinking and short-term plannning, but very few are good at not thinking in the short term. That short term might be a bit longer now than it was 100,000+ years ago, but very few see beyond their own mortality.

It's trying to get people to think beyond that, and getting them to accept that their own sacrifice will benefit later generations is the hard part.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

skydove
OBOD Ovate

Postby skydove » 17 Jun 2013, 14:57

I think one of the main things we have got going for us now is our ability to communicate instantly over vast distances and hold discussions like this. I have certainly thought more and in much greater depth about things since becoming computer literate, in fact it is one of the things that has changed my life. I have discovered I have a voice and can use it, whereas before shyness and lack of confidence would have certainly held me back from stating any sort of view. I have also discovered I am not alone and along with thousands of others and probably millions world wide, us little individual people can stand together and have an effect on media, commerce and governments.
With this knowledge behind me I can now slowly begin to challenge the community in which I live, the friends and family I have in whatever positive ways I can utilize depending on each group or individual. I generally find there is something in most people that will respond even in small ways at first. It does require an effort but it is a heartfelt thing that speaks through and by my spirit despite my human fumblings and ignorance, and when I'm tired and frustrated I know there are good people out there trying to do a similar thing. There is always hope, there is always love and your own light can blaze into a beacon if you let it.
Image 2010 SB Image2011 LI Image Image2011 SB
'much of what she heard from the trees was her own self echoed back'
http://www.suerodger.moonfruit.com/.
December 2013 Seminar - Mask Making with Plaster Bandages

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 17 Jun 2013, 16:52

I've always found disillusionment to be a valuable process. After all, who wants to live under the spell of an illusion? I find it healthier, if sometimes more painful and difficult, to face reality under the harsh glare of the sun...the rose-coloured sunglasses take away so many essential details. I fear more for those undergoing the process of illusionment. They are simply hiding....or perhaps resting in the shade.

That said, my experience with humanity has been pretty good. I've met far more good, inspiring, loving and wonderful people than bad, and even the bad were often just having a bad day. Perhaps I have been lucky. Some of the "systems" and ideologies humans have created, however, are truly monstrous. They are designed to create illusions that hide us from the truth. They are worth despising.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

elementalheart
OBOD Druid

Postby elementalheart » 18 Jun 2013, 09:55

Disillusioned is a good place to be - why would you want the illusions back? To feel safe, cosy, like nothing needs to change in your world? No, see it as chaotic, out of your control, not how you would like things to be in your ideal world. Learn who you are in that world of discomfort and doubt, by noticing what angers you, what is important to you, what you fear, what saddens you, what makes your heart sing with joy. And when you know yourself in that place, rather than who that world decided you were or should or could be, then your path is unfolding true and strong. You can't control anyone's choices, only know your own and live by them.

There are two illusions as I see it, one that it is all nice and good as it is (the one you've seen through), and the other that it is all bad and wrong out there and we have to make it something else so that we can be happy and it be fixed to our satisfaction. Fixed as in mended to the way we want it, fixed as in permanent, stationary in our chosen state. Fixed is not how it is or should be, in either sense. See that one for illusion and you can learn to live your truth within the evolving potential of creation, if not in comfort and satisfaction that you are making it how you want it to be and that you are right in your wishes, but that you can be you no matter what, even though you too are evolving and changing and not under your mental control.

I tend to see "life out there" as I am myself at the time, in despair I see all the negatives and horrors, in hope I notice all the good things and how people try their utmost to be the best they can be. And both are true, both out there and inside. Coming to terms with that is the work we do, however we express it. That's how I see it anyway :wink:
Image Image Image

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 18 Jun 2013, 12:05

I think being hooked up to multiple IVs of horror and inanity, 24/7, makes everything seem a lot worse than it is. The most entertaining crimes and the most ignorant oipinions get pumped into us daily, from around the world. If you can get hold of the last issue of Skpetic magazine, there is a post-Newton school shooting article that details how we are probably living in an age with the least violence, ever. There has never been an era when we have been *less* likely to be directly affected by violence and other crimes. can't rememebr any of the sources, but it is worth a read.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Aoife
OBOD Bard

Postby Aoife » 22 Jun 2013, 06:33

I think being hooked up to multiple IVs of horror and inanity, 24/7, makes everything seem a lot worse than it is. The most entertaining crimes and the most ignorant oipinions get pumped into us daily, from around the world. If you can get hold of the last issue of Skpetic magazine, there is a post-Newton school shooting article that details how we are probably living in an age with the least violence, ever. There has never been an era when we have been *less* likely to be directly affected by violence and other crimes. can't rememebr any of the sources, but it is worth a read.
There is truth in what you say, I guess it's just the things I see in people in my own life. So senselessly ignorant, angry, manipulative, back-stabby and I never see the -real- reason why. One bad behavior begets another and so on. Couple that with all the things we read in the media. To me it seems harder to do those things. It takes effort to hate and do all these negative things.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 22 Jun 2013, 17:05

There is truth in what you say, I guess it's just the things I see in people in my own life. So senselessly ignorant, angry, manipulative, back-stabby and I never see the -real- reason why. One bad behavior begets another and so on. Couple that with all the things we read in the media. To me it seems harder to do those things. It takes effort to hate and do all these negative things.
The idea seems simple in theory, but yet many would find it near impossible to pull off, but could you pare down the amount of negative influences in your life? Review your list of friends and see who upsets more than uplifts, and perhaps spend more time with the folks who are more in line with your views, and less time with those who have behaviors you find bothersome. Also, cutting away the media you ingest can help alot...if certain things upset you, you're under no obligation to take part in/read/watch them. Its hard to see how much things can get to you until they're away. You're always going to be aware of what's out there, unfortunatly, but when you get it out of your face, the annoyances of it won't be popping up in your head quite as often.

Aoife
OBOD Bard

Postby Aoife » 23 Jun 2013, 02:52

The idea seems simple in theory, but yet many would find it near impossible to pull off, but could you pare down the amount of negative influences in your life? Review your list of friends and see who upsets more than uplifts, and perhaps spend more time with the folks who are more in line with your views, and less time with those who have behaviors you find bothersome. Also, cutting away the media you ingest can help alot...if certain things upset you, you're under no obligation to take part in/read/watch them. Its hard to see how much things can get to you until they're away. You're always going to be aware of what's out there, unfortunatly, but when you get it out of your face, the annoyances of it won't be popping up in your head quite as often.
Three years ago I started "pruning" off the people that were negative in my life. Of course, there will always be ones you can't do anything about (like co-workers) but you do have a considerable amount of power over the rest of your relationships. I'm actually pretty strict about it deep down. If you're a d*** you're gone. Media is harder for me. I like to be "informed" and keep tabs on current events and I'm well aware of the politics behind what gets posted and what doesn't... but the psychological effects are the same.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 23 Jun 2013, 04:50

I recently had to drop the news for the time being...perhaps I'll pick it up again one day, but right now its causing too much anxiety. Nothing I could do to change any of it, and I'm at a point in life where I have enough stressors I do have to cope with directly, so for now I'll do something else with that time.

Aoife
OBOD Bard

Postby Aoife » 23 Jun 2013, 23:26

I recently had to drop the news for the time being...perhaps I'll pick it up again one day, but right now its causing too much anxiety. Nothing I could do to change any of it, and I'm at a point in life where I have enough stressors I do have to cope with directly, so for now I'll do something else with that time.
Reading the news does tend to make me perpetually angry, especially with the US. So many of the social struggles (and for them to even be an issue seems barbarous to me) and I haven't been able to say that I'm proud to be an American for 13 years. I have the basic belief of "if you're not gonna cheer for the home team then GTFO of the stadium" but I haven't been able to be quite proud either. It's not the worst place in the world but we're getting behind socially and that makes me ashamed. Living in a home that is not my "ancestral" home wears on me sometimes too.

As you said, you have too many stressors and so do I...but there is something about it that draws me in.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 24 Jun 2013, 01:46

Reading the news does tend to make me perpetually angry, especially with the US. So many of the social struggles (and for them to even be an issue seems barbarous to me) and I haven't been able to say that I'm proud to be an American for 13 years. I have the basic belief of "if you're not gonna cheer for the home team then GTFO of the stadium" but I haven't been able to be quite proud either. It's not the worst place in the world but we're getting behind socially and that makes me ashamed. Living in a home that is not my "ancestral" home wears on me sometimes too.
You know what made me angry more than anything about the news was the amount of celebrity gossip you have to wade through just to find an actual article of value...shows where the minds and morals of our people are. :roll:
The idea of liking this country or leaving it is alot easier said than done. I'd very much like to get the heck out of here, but unless you've got a solid job already claimed once you've gone abroad, golden education, or a boatload of money, most other countries don't seem to want us!(Can you believe it?)

Dysgwr
OBOD Druid

Postby Dysgwr » 24 Jun 2013, 07:36

You know what made me angry more than anything about the news was the amount of celebrity gossip you have to wade through just to find an actual article of value...shows where the minds and morals of our people are. :roll:
I don't think thats specific to the US at all, I'm British but live in Spain and the same is true here. Not only celebrity gossip but sports take precedence over what I think are more important social issues.

I saw a debate programme, in Spain, not more than 3 months ago in which the debt that major football (soccer) clubs was examines and found to be incompatible with general business practice. The conclusion was, from an eminent sociologist, that we shouldn't mess with sports because if we start to deprive people of sports then they may start thinking about other issues which could cause major social upheavals.

It seems religion is no longer the opium of the masses
ImageImageIL 2013

OBOD Member formally known as Panoramix /|\

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 24 Jun 2013, 19:53

I don't know if its comforting to know the US isn't the only place with this problem, or disheartening...

Gallobhaí
OBOD Bard

Postby Gallobhaí » 27 Jun 2013, 00:24

I've been feeling this for the past few years now also. Unfortunately it is a pervasive structure all across western society that has encouraged and enabled the worst to rise to the top of institutions. Their negativity and toxicity then seems to trickle down through the institution be it media, health, education, industry, finance, industry, government etc. so much so that media makes you blind and deaf to the real world, health makes you sicker, education dumbs you down, industry takes your jobs abroad where its cheaper and tax free then ups the price of the product at home, finance charges you interest on money that doesn't exist and up premiums after your money bailed them out, and government protects all the aforementioned from you.
You will find that all the board members at the top are interchangeable: members from one board will be members on another etc. :revolve:
The common denominator is that the people at the top are insane highly driven and ruthless individuals.
As John Lennon put it:
"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."
Or Krishnamurthi:
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society"

BUT THERE IS HOPE! This is the first time in history that the laity have been very well educated and informed and it is becoming more and more clear that something isn't quite right; and across the globe movements are starting of well meaning peaceful informed people.

I think that we as informed peaceful and pacifistic people are in a prime position to inform ourselves about how the world works, how the world should work and how to change it for peace, love and humanity and stop all the hurt, bloodshed and exploitation of the planet, the animals and our brothers and sisters across the globe.

(Zoe, if I could recommend and author that helped me through this: Thomas Sheridan 'Puzzling People'. It really gave me hope for the future with regard to this area. :) I also linked to a video of his in a previous post if you would rather check that out)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Puzzling-People ... ing+people

Beannachtaí,
Seán.
Last edited by Gallobhaí on 27 Jun 2013, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
Beannachtaí,
Gallobhaí.
:acorns:

shirley mclaren
OBOD Ovate

Postby shirley mclaren » 27 Jun 2013, 05:21

I feel the same, but frankly I don't dwell on it any more as it just makes me feel miserable.
ALL THAT WE ARE IS THE RESULT OF WHAT WE HAVE THOUGHT

Return to “The Skeptical Druid”