So, about Trolls....

A forum for the discussion of heuristic questions relating to Druidry using verifiable methods. Fo-fúair!
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult. — Hippocrates

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
Merlyn
OBOD Druid

Re: So, about Trolls....

Post by Merlyn » 05 Feb 2015, 16:18

I think we suffer very little from "trolls" here.
the problem is real however for many just beginning to live with the future shock we know as the internet.
It's hard to believe that one could actually go to jail for a trolling tweet, but that's what it has come to.

Case in point:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30077860

:thinking: For the most part, taking anything posted on the internet as "fact" or personally is the first mistake.
Laughing it off :-) will often get a panicked troll to step up the game and even bully people into "Meeting up and having a fight".

The facts:
yes a troll can be found easily. All computer communication can be tracked directly to the computer the troll is using. Just right click and click on "View page source" and you get a small look at all the information that is forever known, as well as the fact any post is forever non-retractable.

There are some exceptions that say they erase information and even posts, making a conversation ripe for abuse.
As in the BBC report, young children learn the hard way, and in this here and now of world wide internet communication, limits are easy to get around and kids even use thumb drives loaded with browser software to avoid detection. The computer they use however, is detected and can be filled with virus and worse.

Admittedly I take a light hearted approach and of course never post anything I do not expect the entire world to see.
In a case like this message board, password protected, is level one, however the internet "bots" get past that level easily.
In the "members only forums" the bots cannot go. That however isn't off the net..

So, that all said.. we do have responsibility, and the black & white of the written word fails us often. It has long before the internet.
Those who seek control will "troll for suckers" who believe. And that has been going on ever since the beginning of recorded time.
Dante's inferno, a book written so very long ago is example of perhaps the earliest trolling. Anyone he didn't like seemed to end up in his newly formed hell with levels of punishment.
People's idea of the afterlife and rules imposed to live by were a result of writing in the black and white of the written word. Claims of revelation and divine insight put to text have been the core of human suffering, wars and subjugation for centuries.

Druidry on the other hand chose to be an oral tradition.
And in that the inflection and personal intercourse of words is real. Some say it is because of this the ancient druid ways are lost to time.
Others and those like the OBOD differ and say we must learn to hear those sacred ways all around us, not with the lame reasoning of our minds, but with the deep insight of our light body and other ways.

For in this way there can be no trolls, the revelations we have are ours alone and true to our time in the here and now. Every path is different and diverse as much as they all come from the same core of learning and a humanity results in the light of our own understanding. In this way we learn to have mutual respect for the understanding of others and cherish the diversity that is life.

:merlyn1:
Image :emerit:
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o wybod, gwybod yn gyfiawn;
ac o wybod yn gyfiawn ei garu;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

MountainGnome

Post by MountainGnome » 05 Feb 2015, 20:11

Merlyn wrote:I think we suffer very little from "trolls" here.
the problem is real however for many just beginning to live with the future shock we know as the internet.
It's hard to believe that one could actually go to jail for a trolling tweet, but that's what it has come to.

Case in point:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30077860

:thinking: For the most part, taking anything posted on the internet as "fact" or personally is the first mistake.
Laughing it off :-) will often get a panicked troll to step up the game and even bully people into "Meeting up and having a fight".
I have never seen "real trolling" here. Probably personal disagreements are the worst I've seen on this forum and that happens just as much, if not moreso in person.

Merlyn
OBOD Druid

Post by Merlyn » 05 Feb 2015, 20:36

Some of the things I have seen, normally boil down to a person challenging another's belief or even the principles of OBOD drudiry.
They are most often from another form of druidry, and the tempers flare :boggle: In the end these people are very academic in their approach, and normally just prodding.

IMO a troll is someone trying to do more than just antagonize or challenge another person.
A person being an impostor to lure children etc...

We did have one person trying to "troll for members" to join his own "druid order" and on searching out his druid learning program the issue of
Druid sex magic came up in the final lessons. I didn't want to join, however I was curious and asked a lot of questions and ordered a book from the fellow.
The book never came so I cancelled the charge. But he later came about here trying to convince me he was going to send lawyers and sue me for simply mentioning his off-beat
"celtic sex magic" and if I would submit a large sum of money, he would reconsider. As it turned out, with a bit of web surfing, he did this very often. He in fact made more money
by this extortion than he did teaching and was "removed" from the order he started...so to speak. He of course never got one dime from me or anyone else here. (best I know)
The trouble with him was his targeting younger females, as it seemed. . . The Celtic sex magic book he authored and lectured about was a circle "magic" involving masturbation..
I cannot say his method is right or wrong in the sense of magic, but nothing historically Celtic supports his approach. Not that I have seen to date anyway.
That is a troll IMO. However I am sure there are other definitions of what a troll does or is. Someone who causes depression or anger in another person could be considered a troll by another viewpoint.

:merlyn1:
Image :emerit:
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o wybod, gwybod yn gyfiawn;
ac o wybod yn gyfiawn ei garu;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Post by DJ Droood » 06 Feb 2015, 21:17

Merlyn wrote:Some of the things I have seen, normally boil down to a person challenging another's belief or even the principles of OBOD drudiry.
I think what makes a troll is the relentlessness of their approach, or the audience they choose. It isn't being a troll to say something controversial or unpopular, but if you go into "The Common Quest" forum just to trash talk Christian Druids, you are being a bit of a jerk and a troll. If you go into Skeptical Druids and start preaching creationism or homeopathy, and someone calls you one it and then you get all hurt and upset, you are being a troll.

Then there are the folks who have a particular agenda, and are going to push that agenda in every thread they participate in. I've seen a couple of white supremacist types come here and try that, a few evangelizing Christians, at least one political plant who was pushing a particular candidate in a Presidential election, amateurs (historians, linguists, scientists) who fruitlessly argue with professionals...all trolls.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

treegod
OBOD Druid

Post by treegod » 06 Feb 2015, 21:43

Trolls like to provoke and evoke a reaction. If you react the way they want, you've lost. Even worse, if you react the way they want, then you can be portrayed as a troll. Trolls that aim their activites at groups (like forums) are easy to deal with, but it's extremely annoying when they're your personal, private troll. That's when you've got to breath and step back!

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Post by DaRC » 09 Feb 2015, 14:14

IME there are 2 main types of trolls
1 - the haters; those who have a bee in their bonnet about the group a forum is aimed at and just keep on and on banging their favourite drum. These are much more the Norse version of the troll, the type that hides under bridges and can be quite malicious
2 - the fishers; those who like to stir up and antagonize folk (whether it be for their own amusement, because it's their nature, etc...) they sometimes work in pairs (particularly the joker types) to cause mischief and mayhem. This is the type of trolling that leaves a long line with bait on the hook and is usually less directly malicious
what makes a troll is the relentlessness of their approach
agreed
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Post by Whitemane » 09 Feb 2015, 18:11

DaRC wrote: 2 - the fishers; those who like to stir up and antagonize folk (whether it be for their own amusement, because it's their nature, etc...) they sometimes work in pairs (particularly the joker types) to cause mischief and mayhem. This is the type of trolling that leaves a long line with bait on the hook and is usually less directly malicious

Hmmm... didn't Jesus offer to make some of the Apostles fishers of men 8-)
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Return to “The Skeptical Druid”