An Aid to Learning Pronunciation

Subforum for Welsh language studies and posts.
Art
OBOD Druid

An Aid to Learning Pronunciation

Postby Art » 10 May 2006, 18:57

Below is part of a story that was given to me as an aid in learning Welsh pronunciation. Read it as English:

"Ai haf bîn wyndering wot tw dŵ widd owyr bebi wen it’s taim ffor him tw go tw sgŵl.  Ai am Welsh byt ai left sgŵl yrli and ai cant spîc Welsh propyrli.  Mai hysband ses ddat Clarens, owyr syn, myst go tw ddy Welsh sgŵl. Hi cyms ffrom Rhôs and hî cânt îfyn rait English laic mî.  Byt naiddyr of ys is clefar.

Eniwe, ai am going tw stat nait clasis tw lyrn Welsh. It wil help iff wi mêc an effyrt at hôm. Ai am lwcing ffor symwyn tw cym widd me tw cîp mi cympyni."

I found this to be reasonably helpful.

Selene
OBOD Druid

Postby Selene » 10 May 2006, 19:11

Wow, Art, that's amazing!  :o
"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making few more."

OBOD Druid Religious Tolerance No hotlinks! Image Image

Willowhawk
OBOD Bard
Location: ...over grass and over stone, and under mountains in the moon...

Postby Willowhawk » 13 May 2006, 00:00

I love it! Printing it off for reference... :)
Peace over anger. Honour over hate. Strength over fear.

Cariad

Postby Cariad » 14 May 2006, 14:42

That's really funny :D

My Welsh tutor always used to say for English learners not to speak posh - eg 'O' is not pronounced like 'oh' but like the o in 'not'.  :grin:

Also remember a 'dd' is like 'th' in 'the'.

Hope this helps. I'm learning too, but have an advantage living in Wales and being half Welsh.  : :grin:

Donegal

Postby Donegal » 22 May 2006, 21:10

Very nice indeed! I am struggling a bit, as I have started the Bardic grade but am doing it on Audio, and I find I am struggling with some Welsh words, because I'm sure that if I could see them written, I'd KNOW what the lady in the Audio is saying, but since I can't afford to get both the text AND audio version, money wise (and I want the Audio, definitely), I have to try with just the Audio.  Sometimes I'm like: "WHAT is she talking about?" because she says a word of Welsh in a fantastic accent and I ain't got a clue.   :-) I would start learning Welsh but am already struggling so much learning Irish I guess Welsh will have to wait! That post of yours, however, was both funny and quite enlighting.  I doubt it will help me much with the Audio Course, but it's still a nice initiation to written Welsh versus pronunciation.  I wonder if we could coin an equivalent "English" text spelt in Irish, to both help people and for a bit of "craic" (fun) as the Irish would say?

Igrewl
OBOD Bard

Re: An Aid to Learning Pronunciation

Postby Igrewl » 29 May 2006, 08:54

Below is part of a story that was given to me as an aid in learning Welsh pronunciation. Read it as English:

"Ai haf bîn wyndering....................." I found this to be reasonably helpful.
Could you tell me where I can get this story I've found it really useful and would like get hold of the rest of it
ImageImage

~*Blackbird*~
OBOD Bard

Postby ~*Blackbird*~ » 22 Aug 2006, 22:31

Haha!Awesome!It's almost like Wenglish that we use sometimes  :p

Great job-printing it out for my friend definitely :D

Sam
~*Efo can yn fy ysbryd,a'r heniaeth yn fy ngwaed,rwy'n byw bywyd llawn efo calon Celtaidd*~

Return to “Welsh”