English to Welsh Online Translator

Subforum for Welsh language studies and posts.
Twyrch
OBOD Druid

English to Welsh Online Translator

Post by Twyrch » 05 Dec 2006, 15:45

I found (what I believe) to be a good English to Welsh translator and thought I'd share it here.

English to Welsh Translator

I don't know anyone who speaks Welsh, so I'm not sure if the words make sense or not. Please let me know what you all think about this site's translator.
Twyrch  /|\  J. D. Edwards

ImageImageImage

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Post by Dryadia2 » 05 Dec 2006, 17:34

Cool Twyrch!
Thanks for posting it.

Here's one that I've used:
http://www.geiriadur.net/

:dryadia: /|\
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city on earth - Steve McQueen

Twyrch
OBOD Druid

Post by Twyrch » 05 Dec 2006, 18:04

Thanks for that site, Dryadia! I use Welsh, Gaelic and Irish in my writings and like to use various online dictionaries to find as accurate a translation as possible. I added it to my collection. :)
Twyrch  /|\  J. D. Edwards

ImageImageImage

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien

~*Blackbird*~
OBOD Bard

Post by ~*Blackbird*~ » 16 Dec 2006, 20:22

Hey guys,

http://www.geiraidur.net is a very good translator but don't rely too much on the first site as it's not really clear. One word translations are ok most of the time but translating phrases just don't work lol.For instance "Mae Hen Wlad fy Nhadau" should translate as "the old land of my fathers" but comes out as "he is being old country me fathers".

Just thought I'd warn you! :)

Sam
~*Efo can yn fy ysbryd,a'r heniaeth yn fy ngwaed,rwy'n byw bywyd llawn efo calon Celtaidd*~

Busker

Post by Busker » 16 Dec 2006, 20:45

Yes,and 'good night' comes out as 'da nos' instead of 'nos da.'

xxglennxx

Re: English to Welsh Online Translator

Post by xxglennxx » 21 Dec 2008, 21:41

NO! To everyone!

Never you an online translator to translate from or to Welsh or English; the Welsh language is a rich and complex language, with many words sounding the same to a non-Welsh speaker, but all having their subtle differences; yn, mewn, i mewn (and others) all mean 'in' in a loose sense, but ALL are used in different contexts. An online translator of Celtic languages will just have the one version of 'in,' which, more often than not, will be the incorrect version needed for a specific translation.

For even just THAT reason, online Welsh-English translators shouldn't be used. But there's also the mutations, word orders, idioms etc which aren't found in English.

This one is complete rubbish. Don't even bother, as you'll look like a fool to Welsh speakers, as someone found out when I told them what the translation of THAT website meant - almost all gibberish.

Geiriadur.net is a dictionary translator, not a text-paragraph translator. When in doubt, I cross check this one with the BBC's.

The only possible one that seems of any use and 'correctness' is a project translator being done by apertium-cy, which can be found here (see the direct right side for the English language pages).

But please, don't go using ANY translation taken from an automatic online translator for the Celtic languages, especially in any official Grove or Coven documents; get a native speaker to translate it.

Glenn
Glenn

Cefnogwr y Gymdeithas yr Iaith Gymraeg! - Supporter of Cymdeithas yr Iaith Gymraeg!

ImageImage

Return to “Welsh”