Calling for a guide to Welsh pronunciation

Subforum for Welsh language studies and posts.
Dragonling

Re: Calling for a guide to Welsh pronunciation

Postby Dragonling » 25 Aug 2012, 17:58

I'll just leave this here. :whistle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Gq0jeU ... ature=plcp

Not always the easiest to understand, but perhaps it will help with some letters.

Ffenics Y Feudwy

Postby Ffenics Y Feudwy » 27 Aug 2012, 13:42

[quote="Heddwas /|\"]'Ll' for beginners

Say 'both legs'.

Take away the 'bo' and the 'egs'.

Simples![/quote]

NO! This is wrong! It is not simples!

:old: Ll is NOT pronounced "THL" !!!! :old:
This is a non-speakers way to say it.
The CORRECT way is to widen the back of your tongue, (feel the pressure on your upper back molars) and leave a gap so air can flow over the back and down the sides of the tongue. Now tense your cheek muscles and aspirate. This forces air down either sides of the tongue and sounds like a cat hissing or a generic vampire noise.

A THL noise is clearly different linguistically. The tongue comes forward so the tip touches the bottom of the back teeth during aspiration then whips back to touch the front end of the pallate just behind the teeth but in front of the ridged part.

Having been born in Abertawe pronounced "abehrr-tahweh" - Swansea and bred in Sir Gaerfyrddyn, also known as Sir Gâr pronounced "Shur Gahr/Gairvuhrthin" (the "th" sound being hard as in the but not soft as in thin) - meaning Carmarthenshire, being brought up in one of the many villages in the area with a "Llan" prefix, where most the old folk are so fluent in Welsh that they only lapse into English when speaking to younger generations or people they do not know, I get incensed when people think they have the pronounciation right when they clearly DO NOT.

No offence, but you don't teach someone piano because you've played it yourself for a little while, you need to have meticulous technique.
The Weird has a name and refuses to be called Betty.

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible. I passed this gem onto my children!

To pronounce "LL" in welsh - pretend you're an angry cat or a vampire and force air along both sides of your tongue as you aspirate!

My Poetry eBook Free download 'cause I'm a nice person!

Narvl-Years

Postby Narvl-Years » 07 Dec 2012, 18:11

This web site has an audio guide for the sound of each letter in Welsh.

http://www.ngfl-cymru.org.uk/vtc/ngfl/n ... phabet.htm

:wink: Narvl Years

Heddwas /|\
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwas /|\ » 15 Jul 2013, 23:29

Wel, 'na ni te...
Blessings,

Heddwas /|\

"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat"

“A mi fûm naw mis haeach yngroth Ceridwen wrach: a mi fûm gynt Wion Bach, eithr Taliesin wyf bellach”.

Tracy G
OBOD Ovate

Postby Tracy G » 01 Feb 2016, 21:34

Here’s a new video series, posted to YouTube five months ago, that I have found to be immensely helpful, as a beginner grappling with the pronunciation of Welsh:

Welsh Plus: Pronunciation Series 1—The Basics!

I’ve been unable to find a complete audio or video guide that specifically addresses the pronunciation of Welsh mythic proper names (which was the request of the original poster). Here are three partial guides, however, that each provide good information in the form of spoken recordings:

Names in Pwyll, Prince of Dyfed, read by Dr. Aled Llion Jones
Glossary of words from The Cauldron Born, read by Kristoffer Hughes
And, a few additional names from the Four Branches, read by Dr. Gwilym Morus-Baird
“For nothing here should be taken to mean that we are merely researching the past. To find the sounder wisdom of the past and to train our powers in the present by it safely, then to use them intelligently and with the right motives, that is the object of a modern Bard and Ovate.” —Ross Nichols, The Book of Druidry

Return to “Welsh”