Questions about the Tarot Study Group

Subforum for the study of Tarot
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Crystal Dragon
OBOD Druid

Re: Questions about the Tarot Study Group

Postby Crystal Dragon » 11 Jan 2008, 10:04

Welcome back, Coyoteblack :)
I will try and post the pictures to your recent posts during the next day or so and the way you want to do the minors and court cards is fine with me. If you could tell me which minors you will be doing next, then I can get a few scanned and ready to add to your posts as and when.
Blessings,
CD
ImageImageImage

When the Power of Love over comes the Love of Power, the world will know peace. (Jimi Hendrix)

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened
Anatole France (1844-1924)

Try to remember to be more Cat like... meditate regularly, be boundless and
purr a healing vibration!

coyoteblack

Postby coyoteblack » 13 Jan 2008, 23:11

Thanks CD

I will be doing all the cups next.

Rhiannon56

Postby Rhiannon56 » 06 Feb 2010, 02:49

I've used the Rider Waite Tarot most of the past five or six years. Still haven't learned the intricacies of it or been able to tell if my question are answered. Hoping this Group could help. Sometimes I get the Tower, Judgement and Death in one reason. I hate to see that combination in a reading. I'm a bit superstitious. :)
Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 06 Feb 2010, 08:49

Dear, Rhiannon56

I use the Rider Waite deck alot as well, and I think it is a very good deck for most people interested in really working with the Tarot.

I understand your feeling of superstition when seeing those scary majors in a reading, but in my experience the cards can tell one slightly different things depending on who's reading them. Judgment could be a happy card for one reader, while it could be a bad omen for another. And I've found that all cards have one dark and one bright aspect to it. The tower does not always show its darkest side f.ex.

I've also found that the time span the reading is covering has something to say about how strong the energy is. In a daily reading, a Death card doesn't have to be more than a small thing you get rid of, while in a yearly reading the death card would be indicating a longer lasting energy that could be more troublesome to deal with.

Blessings from the Forest
Illion
:paw:

Alatariel

Postby Alatariel » 14 Jul 2010, 15:56

Is this Tarot Study Group still 'in action' so to speak? Have recently purchased a deck of the DC tarot and would welcome some discussion about it.

Crystal Dragon
OBOD Druid

Postby Crystal Dragon » 14 Jul 2010, 16:11

Hello Alatariel,

Whilst it has been a bit quiet here recently, the TSG is still active and any posts you care to make would I am sure be most welcome :)

CD
ImageImageImage

When the Power of Love over comes the Love of Power, the world will know peace. (Jimi Hendrix)

Alatariel

Postby Alatariel » 14 Jul 2010, 16:56

My main deck is the Arthurian - that's the deck I learnt with and the deck I feel most 'in-tune' with. Ninety nine percent of the time I'm happy with the answers it gives me - partly I'm sure because I have an 'intuitive link' to the cards. Working through the DC however is an experience to say the least. For one it's the first 'new' deck that I've used in many years, and so I'm getting different mental imagery associated with the visual image the card provides. I find this actually is quite distracting, but perhaps it's the price one pays for working so long with a single deck.

Whilst I also find some of the major arcana to be quite beautiful, I feel some of the facial expressions of the minor court cards to be somewhat vapid (perhaps this is hyper-critical or just my personal first impression). On balance I like the majority of the artwork and it will be extremely interesting to see how the two decks stand up to each other.

I am of a mind to pick a card a day from DC deck, then fish out the matching card from the Arthurian and see if I get any different vibes from them (bound to be some), and if I get bored with that I could always chuck in a card from the Thoth.

Anyone care to join me?

Crystal Dragon
OBOD Druid

Postby Crystal Dragon » 15 Jul 2010, 08:43

I also use the Arthurian deck, Celtic Dragon, Thoth and the Sacred Circle is another favourite to name but a few in addition of course to DC. I like working with different decks and find that they can have a different feel about them, the traditional Rider Waite deck and the Thoth deck being good examples of this IMO. I think you always also have a stronger link to the deck you first learn with, possibly because you put more time into this. Personally, I think it is good to work with other decks from time to time as I think they can help to develop ones intuition. That said, not all decks will appeal but it can be fun to experiment :)

Taking a card a day can be a good way to start working with a new deck and also comparing cards with those in other decks to see what different 'vibes' you get. If you want to start doing a card a day or every few days from the DC deck Alatariel, I will join you as my time permits.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Tarot Study Group”