Druidcraft Tarot - a question

Subforum for the study of Tarot
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Ryohei

Druidcraft Tarot - a question

Postby Ryohei » 30 Jul 2010, 10:56

Hi

I recently acquired a set of these cards and they are gorgeous! The beautifully painted images are worth studying, and you always see something new each time you look. Admittedly there's a lot of symbolism in them which I don't yet fully grasp, but it's a great way to learn - if I come across a particular symbol or representation I don't understand I can look it up then go back to the card and apply what I've learned, thus gaining a little more understanding of the card itself. A very pleasant learning curve indeed.

Towards the end of the book, there is a detailed ritual for dedicating and blessing the new deck, which the book says should be carried out during a waxing moon. My question is, does this mean I can't really use the cards until I have been able to perform the ritual while the moon is waxing (it is waning at present)? I'd love to carry out the ceremony, which combines the Earth, Air, Fire and Water elements which feature so strongly in the deck itself, but what I want to know is whether I can use the cards meantime if I carry out a more basic cleansing ritual. Or, can I just go ahead with the ritual anyway during a waning moon? There's a possible symbolism of the lunar phases here, I think, which as yet escapes me.

I realise I'm probably looking for problems where none exist, but some guidance and comment would be appreciated.

Thank you

Alan S
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" (Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the U.S.)

Spirit Bear
OBOD Bard

Re: Druidcraft Tarot - a question

Postby Spirit Bear » 30 Jul 2010, 20:05

Hi Ryohei,

The energy of the Moon changes depending upon the phase that the Moon is in.
The waxing Moon is for initiation and growth, it's the right time for starting new projects and making new plans. To do rituals for blessing new projects, new cards etc.
Waining Moon is for taking away. It's the best time to do rituals for banishing. to get rid of things like bad habits or energies.

I think it's best to wait untill waxing Moon to do the ritual.I personally wouldn't do it while the Moon is waining.

But that's only my opinion, follow your heart and do what you think is right for you.

Peace & Blessings,
Last edited by Spirit Bear on 31 Jul 2010, 18:54, edited 2 times in total.
:brnbear: Spirit Medicine Bear :brnbear:

“Every animal knows more than you do.”—Native American Proverb
≈✿≈ We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals ≈✿≈ ~ Immanual Kant ~

Image Image Image

Explorer
OBOD Druid

Postby Explorer » 31 Jul 2010, 07:40

Hi Alan,

Sure you can use the cards before you do the ritual.

The dedication ritual is a nice way to give the cards, and your work with them, a sense of "sacredness". And it is that focus and atmosphere that makes that work more magically potent as you develop your understanding of the cards and their relationships to Life as a whole. It also addes to this atmosphere (I try to avoid the word 'energy' here) when you do it during the waxing moon because of the druidic/wtichcraft associations with that. Knowing that many people do it that way connects your work with the work of the group.

But you can work with the cards before that also. Just like a ritual also works when you don't use a wand and don't wear a robe.
The 'shock effect' is bigger if you don't work with them before the dedication. But it is really just a matter of your personal choice.

greetings, and have fun!

Nico
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

starbird
OBOD Ovate

Postby starbird » 31 Jul 2010, 14:22

Greetings & a warm welcome Ryohei,
I agree, the cards are beautiful in expression & symbolism and my personal opinion would be to use the cards and get a warm feel for them even before you consecrate them; you've already consecrated them in one way by realising there beautiful!
The Lunar phase is important and as mentioned the waxing Moon initiates new beginings; I would use them with love and formaly consecrate them as directed in the book when the phase is right to enhance that sacredness'
If you use those beautiful images with love and devotion they will respond back three - fold!

starbird :

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 31 Jul 2010, 14:42

I like to follow the phases of the moon, but I don't find it essential. Anyway, somewhere in the universe the Moon is full, or waning, or waxing, so you can always astral travel to work with a visible moon in the phase you wish!

For myself, the waning moon time is a great time to remove or banish anything negative, so for me it's a good cleansing time. It's a time to overcome obstacles as well.

Re the tarot cards, the ritual is lovely and if you like it, it is useful for you to do in whatever way you find helpful. Rituals are designed to help us, not the other way around! OBOD always stresses 'do what feels right for you'. If you work with the cards now and then consecrate them, notice if you feel a difference in their energy or yours when you work with them!

All I was ever taught to do was wrap the cards preferably in red silk and sleep with them for 3 nights so they are imbued with my energy.

Enjoy your deck! I agree, it's beautiful and meaningful!

Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Spirit Bear
OBOD Bard

Postby Spirit Bear » 31 Jul 2010, 20:23

All I was ever taught to do was wrap the cards preferably in red silk and sleep with them for 3 nights so they are imbued with my energy.Donata
I also was taught to sleep with my cards and wrap them in a silk cloth. But they ( tarot course or books I've read) never specificated the color of the silk cloth.
Can you please explain why using a red one?

Thanks Donata,
:brnbear: Spirit Medicine Bear :brnbear:

“Every animal knows more than you do.”—Native American Proverb
≈✿≈ We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals ≈✿≈ ~ Immanual Kant ~

Image Image Image

Donata
OBOD Druid

Postby Donata » 01 Aug 2010, 16:01

Red is the color of vitality and creativity. Actually, any color you like works, but it's best to use a natural fabric as synthetic ones tend to restrict the passage of energy and you want to imbue the cards with yours. I was also taught to keep the cards covered - box, wrapped in fabric, in a drawer - when not in use so their energy isn't dissipated. Up to you of course.

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

ImageImage ImageImage

Argenta

Postby Argenta » 01 Aug 2010, 17:03

Should this sleeping with cards be done even if we share our bed? Wouldn't the cards pick up the energy of the other person as well?
I am not young enough to know everything. (O.W.)

Donata
OBOD Druid

Postby Donata » 02 Aug 2010, 19:08

There's nothing mandatory about sleeping with your cards. It was just something I was told, like not paying money directly for cards - someone else can, you can write a check or use a credit card, just not cash. As will all such things use your own intuition and common sense. There are other ways to bond with a tool than sleeping with it. You can bless them, for example, with the four elements, or whatever may appeal to you. Bonding or imbuing a tool with your energy is probably not really necessary but many people prefer to do this.

BB
Donata

ImageImage ImageImage

Ryohei

Postby Ryohei » 02 Aug 2010, 21:25

Thanks for the very interesting views put forward in response to my question, I really appreciate this.

On balance, I have decided to leave the dedication until the waxing moon. In the meantime I will get to know the cards better so I am ready to use them when the time comes.

I particularly liked the part in the book where the court cards were introduced as four families coming together at a mead hall. This really caught my imagination, and I found myself spinning a tale in which the various individuals portrayed actually acquired names, provinces of origin etc. The pip cards represented tales told by their bards around the hall hearth, and the majors represented the saga of the Fool's journey, retold for the company's amusement. By the time I'd finished sketching all this out, I practically had a fantasy novel! Maybe a bit OTT? Well, perhaps so, but this approach truly made the cards come alive for me in a very personal way, and now I find they have an added dimension - a depth - which maybe I didn't see before. For me, now, the Kings, Queens, Princesses and Princes are no longer just pictures, but living, breathing individuals. each with a story to tell.

I now look forward to performing the dedication and blessing, and to working with the cards in the future.

Alan S.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" (Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the U.S.)

Return to “Tarot Study Group”