Druidcraft Tarot - Queen of Swords

Subforum for the study of Tarot
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Ryohei

Druidcraft Tarot - Queen of Swords

Postby Ryohei » 02 Sep 2010, 08:59

Hi

While getting acquainted with my new deck by drawing a daily card and studying it, I came across the Queen of Swords. Now, the accompanying book explains the card in a way I can understand and relate to, and other sources seem to support the same thread of meaning, which is fine. My own reading of the card, taking all this into account, suggests someone who is well in control of her/himself, who is able to weigh up options coolly and who is not afraid of having to take direct (and sometimes unwelcome) action if required.

So far so good. Then I picked up the card again and took a long hard look at it. I found two things which don't get a mention in the deck's own book (or anywhere else for that matter). Firstly, look at the woman's hand on the hilt of the sword -and at the hilt itself. The hilt seems to be carved into a representation of a human being, and you get the feeling that the hand on the hilt is squeezing it, exerting perhaps a bit too much control? Secondly, look at the little tree that appears just beyond the woman. If that's not meant to be a bonsai, I don't know what is. Now, bonsai as an art form attempts to create a representation of a much older tree by shaping, bending and forcing a younger plant into a desired shape. In other words, you apply an unnatural control over the tree's otherwise natural development.

Adding in these extra dimensiosn, I find my reading reshaping itself to sound a note of caution. Being in control can be fine up to a point, but being overly controlled (or controlling?) can be harmful in the long run.

I would be interested - and most grateful - if someone a bit more knowledgeable and experienced (which probably means nearly all of you!) could have a look at this and perhaps comment on it for me.

Thank you

Alan Stewart
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" (Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the U.S.)

Crystal Dragon
OBOD Druid

Re: Druidcraft Tarot - Queen of Swords

Postby Crystal Dragon » 02 Sep 2010, 13:02

Hi Alan,

What an interesting post :) I don't know about having more knowledge and experience as for me Tarot seems to be a never ending learning curve - the more you look,the more you see :huh: Sometimes I look at a card I think I know and then I get a totally different meaning come to mind. I was told many years ago now by a tarot tutor that I could read as many book as I liked, at the end of the day the most important thing in her opinion was to develop my own meanings and learn to trust my intuition especially when it differed from the 'books'. In other words, there are no set rules really but what does matter is what you see/feel.

Looking at this card, a few thoughts I would offer are as follows: the suit of swords is as you know associated with the element of air and in turn our thinking processes and intellect. The Queen also tends to suggest a more mature person if she does indeed represent a person within a reading. Given this, I would tend to agree about her hand around the sword hilt which as you comment appears to be shaped as a person (the phrase 'strangle hold' has just come to mind here) and your thoughts on someone being possible too controlling of self or others especially on a mental level. This card I find can also suggest some one who may speak bluntly - they say what they think without considering how their words may effect others - they can get to the point and truth very quickly. They are often very clever with words and write a lot. Somthing I have found on occasion with this card and people born under an air sign is that they can at times think too much and never actually do anything - their ideas never come to anything. Looking at the tree, I can see where you get the bonsai impression from and I like you thoughts on this but for me, I feel this may be more to do with getting a sense of depth within the card. That said and looking at the tree, the suit of swords is associated with Spring time, so is this tree about to come into leaf or is it dormant. Another thought for you is that I have had this card appear in a reading and represent someone (usually a female) who has been widowed. Hope these thoughts help a little :)

Blessings,

CD
ImageImageImage

When the Power of Love over comes the Love of Power, the world will know peace. (Jimi Hendrix)

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened
Anatole France (1844-1924)

Try to remember to be more Cat like... meditate regularly, be boundless and
purr a healing vibration!

Ryohei

Re: Druidcraft Tarot - Queen of Swords

Postby Ryohei » 23 Sep 2010, 07:46

As a footnote...

The sword handle I described as looking like a man being squeezed actually has been based on a real object, as I recently discovered. In a book on Celtic art, I came across a photo of a dagger hilt, dating from the first century BC, which was found in France and which is identical to the hilt shown on the Queen card.

In the same book, I found a picture of the horse's head cap and the warrior's helmet as worn by the Page of Swords (again both real objects dating back almost two millennia) and his shield bears an uncanny resemblance to one found in the Thames at London.

Yet more testimony, as if I needed it, to the beauty of this awesome deck. I am sure I will never stop finding something new in its imagery.

Alan S.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" (Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the U.S.)

Return to “Tarot Study Group”