The Wildwood Tarot - any one else got this?

Subforum for the study of Tarot
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
D'Arzhur
OBOD Druid

Re: The Wildwood Tarot - any one else got this?

Postby D'Arzhur » 27 Jun 2011, 10:48

Arh Seren Beautiful picture and way to connect to this deck...Cats :)
(when I am in my stone circle my 2 dogs are with me...no problem ...until the male starts lifting his legs on one of the stones :grin: )

Nico- you make it very difficult for me to wait until Brittany to get into my deck :wink:
I am also planning to combine the Druidcraft Tarot with this one...I am sure they will be very good companions...
I am looking forward to read more from everyone here about working with this deck at the end of the summer :)

ps: I want to experiment this summer with the Druidcraft Tarot, Wildwood Tarot, Druid Animal & Plants Oracles and Ogam Oracle (from Matthews with illustrations from Will W.) all together... :yay:
D'Arzhur
Tradu/i\re
ImageImage
Image :daraoi: :awen:

fulbert-avebury
OBOD Bard

Postby fulbert-avebury » 27 Jun 2011, 16:11

I did a blessing/integration ritual with my cards today, I laid them out in my garden in the wheel of the year as described in the book. It was great to see how the cards relate to each other. However one of my cats decided she was going to join in the proceedings so I thought I'd share a picture with you all.
If your cat's playful energy is not enough to infuse a sense of nature and life into these, then nothing is! Thanks for sharing this picture.

Jeffrey

Arth Seren
OBOD Ovate

Postby Arth Seren » 27 Jun 2011, 21:08

Thanks for the comments guys, I love it when animals decide to get involved with these sort of things, my cat always likes to sit on my journal or plays with my tumblestones. Her other favourite is to sit right in the centre of my pentagram throw. My other cat is too busy guarding his territory and chasing mice.

I do like this idea of mixing and matching the decks, it would be great to see how they all relate to each other and to the wheel of the year - a kind of wheel of correspondances.

Nico, she's laying between the Mirror, Seer and Guardian in the picture - an interesting mix.

These cards are going to be a valuable tool to work with - not just for readings, they'll work really well in ritual and meditation. Perhaps we could have a dedicated forum like the DCT, DAO etc.
Arth Seren
(Formerly Naiyah Sionnach)

ImageImageImageImage
2007 BS
2010 LI
2012 IL
2012 SB

ImageImageImage

Nightvine
OBOD Ovate

Postby Nightvine » 15 Jul 2011, 15:02

For anyone interested here is a podcast interview with one of the creators of the Wildwood Tarot, Mark Ryan. I found it pretty interesting.

http://crookedpath.mypodcast.com/2011/0 ... 54631.html

My Blog and online spiritual journal: http://bluedruid.wordpress.com/

Explorer
OBOD Druid

Postby Explorer » 01 Aug 2011, 19:52

I noticed there are different versions, at least of some of the cards. It seems a lot of work to paint the same cards again with hardly any difference.
Does anybody knows the story about that? Why are there different versions?

http://uilennest.net/grove/tarot/wildwo ... hamans.jpg
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

sophiemorgane
OBOD Ovate

Postby sophiemorgane » 21 Nov 2011, 04:20

I love this tarot! Pre-ordered it as soon as our Chosen Chief talked about it on facebook!

I love the Matthews; they never fail to impress me with the width and depth of their knowledge. :) I am a big fan of Worthington; I agree with the others who say that his paintings are so vivid the scenes almost jump off the cards. :o I have a poster I made with a friend that has all the DruidCraft Tarot cards placed on the Wheel of the Year in three concentric circles along with other symbols and markers. :cloud9: It's a great way to deepen one's unerstanding of the Tarot deck. It's also a great mandala to meditate with and a quick and easy way to memorize the cards.

...and now I'm burning to make another poster, this time with the Wildwood Tarot and its own version of the Wheel, which I will study specifically during the next few months... :yay:

I love the fact that the scenes are a bit more "raw" than the DruidCraft Tarot. They seem to get straight to the point, and to touch the deeper layers, archetypes, and themes of the human nature and the Universe. I absolutely LOVE the fact that the court cards are animals; it is a gentler introduction to Celtic Totem animals than just using the Druid Animal Oracle would be (I have it, I have tried to use it but it's too much to learn at this point). I find the Wildwood very intuitive, and an experienced Celtic Wiccan friend of mine, who only uses the Toth Tarot, tried a reading with this Tarot and found it very intuitive as well. I have been using it almost daily since Samhuinn in order to study it and refine my divination skills, and I really love it! :cloud9:

At this point, though, I am starting to get annoyed by all the lectures on eco-ethics throughout the accompanying book. Don't get me wrong, I have that topic at heart, and I think it is important we realize how far we have gone. However, when I check a tarot book, I don't want to be lectured about ecology, I want to deepen my understanding of the cards. I agree with the editorial, but it feels like it doesn't belong there. 8-) When you truly connect with Nature, making concrete gestures to protect the environment becomes natural. Trying to make people shift the other way around (by lecturing them on how bad they treat the environment in order to make them more mindful about Nature) does not feel so natural to me, even if the intention is good.

My two cents! :D
ImageImage...and a mommy! Image

Arth Seren
OBOD Ovate

Postby Arth Seren » 22 Nov 2011, 13:22

I noticed there are different versions, at least of some of the cards. It seems a lot of work to paint the same cards again with hardly any difference.
Does anybody knows the story about that? Why are there different versions?

http://uilennest.net/grove/tarot/wildwo ... hamans.jpg

The original deck was the Greenwood Tarot by Mark Ryan and Chesca Potter (now out of print). Will has taken most of the images from that and revamped them for the Wildwood Tarot so it may be that the differences in the images are just the transition process of the revamp.
Arth Seren
(Formerly Naiyah Sionnach)

ImageImageImageImage
2007 BS
2010 LI
2012 IL
2012 SB

ImageImageImage

Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Postby Fitheach » 08 Dec 2011, 23:38

I got my Wildwood deck this summer, at the Bay Area Tarot Symposium (BATS) in San Francisco. Special treat: Mark Ryan himself was there (promoting the deck) and I got a reading from him! He played Nasir in the 1980's Robin of Sherwood series (British), and he's still gorgeous!
Tha gliocas an ceann an fhitich
Image Image Image

Autumn_Colours
OBOD Bard

Postby Autumn_Colours » 12 Feb 2013, 12:46

I have the Wildwood Tarot and also love it. Although Ive had it for over a year, Im still getting to grips with it. Im not sure if I prefer the druidcraft or this deck.

Autumn_Colours
In truth, love & creativity
Autumn_Colours

feranaja
OBOD Bard

Postby feranaja » 27 Jun 2013, 16:34

This is the deck I've been waiting for all my life. :salmon:

Nadine B
OBOD Bard

Postby Nadine B » 29 Jul 2013, 16:46

I have the Wildwood and Druidcraft Tarot decks and much prefer the Wildwood deck.

Elessedil
OBOD Bard

Postby Elessedil » 29 Jul 2013, 18:24

This deck called out to me. I have both decks as well. I love both of them. I've been trying to get in touch with my intuition more and find that using the WildWood deck helps a lot with this.

Return to “Tarot Study Group”