DECKS AND THE ELEMENTS

Subforum for the study of Tarot
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Petrichor
OBOD Ovate

DECKS AND THE ELEMENTS

Postby Petrichor » 03 Jul 2012, 00:31

I currently stand before another challenging crossroad .
The Ovate Grade has inevitably led me back to the Tarot ( something I believe I have experienced in a previous sojourn )

The search continues for a deck that will speak to me deeply .

With my great fascination for Dragons I Impulsively purchased the Celtic Dragon deck - a beautiful and sensual collection that I have felt recently to be a little too feminine for my requirements. There is also the association of Wands to Air and Swords to Fire to contemplate.

Following this I picked up an old book on Tarot at a local garage sale that described the Rider-Waite deck ........ consequently I purchased one of these and have been working through the rudiments of Tarot with it ( Wands - Fire , Swords - Air ).
The RW deck seems closer to my mark and somehow the elemental associations seem more correct for me than what the CD deck proposes.
I am conscious of the RW deck's strong allegiance to the Quabbalah and also to Christianity ........ this was discussed on YouTube and the suggestion was that if such did not suit ( excuse the pun ) one should ponder the Thoth deck by Aleister Crowley ( Wands - Fire , Swords - Air ).

The Thoth deck fascinates me - when I look at the images I feel it drawing on me.
I am not yet convinced though that this pack is right ( Crowley himself - whilst brilliant, leaves questions and hesitations in my mind and it is his perceptions, passions and conclusions that created this work ).

Another deck that calls me is the Dragon Tarot by Terry Donaldson ( Wands - Fire , Swords - Air )
Some seem to think this is a beginner's deck whilst others state it to be advanced ....... can anyone share some experience here, or offer some opinions on it?

Finally there is the issue of Swords and Wands associations.
I have noticed many packs like to change the associations with the Elements ........ what are the thoughts on this - I can see how and why Cups and Pentacles seem to remain constant , but why is there contention over Swords and Wands?

Obviously there is the matter of interpretation - but if everyone changed things to suit them self - at some stage wouldn't the credibility of Tarot lose out?

I'm not sure ........ should we be purists in this matter?
What do you think?

Blessings all.

Petrichor
Formerly - Zimran - Aracos - Petrichor

I AM AN OLD MAN
BUT I AM A YOUNG GARDINER
Albert Einstein

Crystal Dragon
OBOD Druid

Re: DECKS AND THE ELEMENTS

Postby Crystal Dragon » 03 Jul 2012, 16:29

Hello Petrichor,

What an interesting post and one that took me back some years to when I first started to explore tarot. I found I read lots of books on various aspects of tarot and I can still remember the look on my husbands face when I opened a package with Thoth books in it :huh:

At the end of the day, I think it is important not to get too bogged down with all the detail, what really matters is finding a deck you can relate to guided by your intuition and not what other people have written or said about a deck. Reading books etc is good but they are only other peoples words and views on which to build your own thoughts. When reading for the general public I tend to use RW as most people can relate to the imagery even without any knowledge of tarot. It is also a good deck to learn with as many decks are based on RW. That said, I like the Thoth deck, and I did find that a basic knowledge of astrology helps when first starting to work with this deck and it is considered a more advanced deck by many. As to the elemental associations and some decks altering them around, I found that as time went by this didn't worry me so much and now when this happens I tend to let my intuition be my guide and whether the association feels right or not.

I have a variety of decks with differing themes, its amazing what you can collect over the years :grin: You mention Dragon decks, have you tried the DruidCraft deck or the fairly new Wild Wood Tarot? A favourite of mine is the Sacred Circle deck it has a celtic pagan feel which I like a lot. A good website to visit is http://www.aeclectic.net
On this site you will find information, pictures and reviews on many, many decks and this can be helpful when exploring all the different decks that have been produced.

Blessings,

CD
ImageImageImage

When the Power of Love over comes the Love of Power, the world will know peace. (Jimi Hendrix)

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened
Anatole France (1844-1924)

Try to remember to be more Cat like... meditate regularly, be boundless and
purr a healing vibration!

Petrichor
OBOD Ovate

Postby Petrichor » 03 Jul 2012, 23:12

Many thanks CD for a most helpful message.

I have bookmarked the Website and will investigate this with fervour.
I can also see myself "reluctantly" collecting a few decks ( as you elude to ) ......... I am a hopeless collector when something captures me.

Yes - reading books and gathering information can in a strange way stifle the understanding that actually , doing the thing in question , can give you.
This is my next step ( but I deeply do not want to give a reading that is incorrect or ignorant ).

It's all exciting stuff as the journey of discovery continues .

Be safe and well.

Petrichor
Under the Southern Cross

I AM AN OLD MAN
Albert Einstein

RedSky
Deceased

Postby RedSky » 04 Jul 2012, 02:10

Yes CD thanks for the link.
Petrichor, I have several decks and find myself reaching for the universal Waite deck, much like the rider waite. There is such a selection out there that
I found it to be noisy and difficult to keep straight. I think the right deck is there for you and that would be the one that speaks to you. I too still collect decks and my favorite artwork is "The Rabbit Tarot". Papus "Tarot of the Bohemians", "Meditations on the Tarot", by Anonymous, Wirth's Tarot of the Magicians, were some of my favorite books on the subject. Occidental stuff, not very Celtic flavored. I think Wirth captured where I was coming from the best. Having been a recovering Christian since about age 12. So many books on the subject that it is extremely easy to bog yourself down and I began to feel constrained in someone elses system. Find a deck that speaks to you and learn to communicate with it. Be careful who's energy you allow to influence it.
I.E. touching or playing with the deck etc.

Blessings,

Bill

Petrichor
OBOD Ovate

Postby Petrichor » 04 Jul 2012, 02:59

Cheers Bill.

What might be your favorite spread?
The Celtic Cross is most recommended but I can feel something different sitting off in the background silently calling to me ........

My cards are kept in a sacred space - no one touches them along with everything else there relating to rituals, etc.

The teenagers think I'm mad anyway going off on all these "Druid Sojourns".

Adios,
Brad.

I AM AN OLD MAN
Albert Einstein

Crystal Dragon
OBOD Druid

Postby Crystal Dragon » 04 Jul 2012, 13:47

Hi again Petrichor,
Just one further thought for you, I see you are in Australia and wondered if you have found your way to the Tarot Guild of Australia: http://www.tarotguild.org.au/
I know of this group via my membership of the British Tarot Association and you may find some interesting information and discussion groups there.
Blessings,
CD
ImageImageImage

When the Power of Love over comes the Love of Power, the world will know peace. (Jimi Hendrix)

Petrichor
OBOD Ovate

Postby Petrichor » 04 Jul 2012, 23:14

Thanks again CD.

You are a true guiding light ......
Will join this group and benefit from the affiliation.

Much Awen to you friend.

Petrichor.

I AM AN OLD MAN
Albert Einstein

Crystal Dragon
OBOD Druid

Postby Crystal Dragon » 05 Jul 2012, 10:29

I was pleased you found the links of interest Petrichor and I hope you enjoy exploring the tarot and wherever it may lead you..... :grin:
CD
ImageImageImage

Return to “Tarot Study Group”