Swearing on a Bible

This forum is for discussions of the various ways Druidry touches our daily lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Re: Swearing on a Bible

Postby DJ Droood » 24 Feb 2014, 23:47

I had another recent court experience, this time reversed...the clerk asked me if I wanted to do an "affirmation" or an oath on a sacred book (no specific one mentioned)....it was very easy to say "affirmation". I wonder if it is up the clerk, how to present the options?
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Oakapple
OBOD Druid

Postby Oakapple » 13 Oct 2014, 18:59

I've just started my first week of jury service, haven't had to swear in yet, maybe tomorrow. I am in an extremely multi-faith area, so there should be no problem.
I know there is a pagan oath - I have googled like mad for it and can't find it anywhere. The thing is, for any of the oaths they say you need to have a holy book. So as I don't have a holy book, I will have to affirm. Not that swearing affirming or neither would affect how I went about my duties.
My daughter says I should swear on one of Damh the Bards albums - the closest thing to a Holy Book for me!

Nothing's forgotten......nothing is ever forgotten

GreenOak51
OBOD Ovate

Postby GreenOak51 » 16 Nov 2014, 05:48

Catching up ... DJ, I had an instance where I needed to be sworn in our Ontario courts last year and the clerk asked me - in front of everyone in the court room - did I wish to swear upon the bible or would I affirm? I said 'affirm' and I was asked simply if I affirmed to speak the truth, blah, blah, blah. I'm very pleased about this since my previous experience forced the then clerk to realize that not everyone saw the bible the way he did. <smile> Very pleased that our judicial system is catching up teaching others at the same time.

Re the allegiance to Queen Elizabeth --- I have to say that I agree with this requirement. While the monarchy is not everyone's cup of tea, she is our leader (if only a figurehead) and new citizens need to understand that she rules the country that they are now claiming as home. For me there is a line between respect of human rights, of citizenship, of religion, of homeland culture ... and recognizing that you are voluntarily requesting to become a citizen of a country by which you accept its current laws and leadership, and creates an understanding of your intent. If you don't like the laws, become a citizen and help draft new legislation. Because born citizens don't have to swear this allegiance doesn't mean anything. Adopting a new country as your home is a serious matter. If you want the rights and protections, you have to give some too.

T
/|\
Every blade of grass has its angel bending over it whispering "grow, grow!" ~~ The Talmud

PeteBranduir
OBOD Bard

Postby PeteBranduir » 16 Nov 2014, 21:33

This chap, at least according to the ever so reliable wikipedia, was apparently allowed to swear on his sword (mentioned in the bit about his poll tax court case). Seems like a fun way to do it.
If at first you don't succeed, I hope it wasn't brain surgery.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 16 Nov 2014, 22:00

I imagine a lot of people are like a guy I saw in court a little while ago....The Clerk asked him if he wanted to swear on oath or make an affirmation...."Doesn't matter to me." he said..."You have to pick one" she told him....."What's an affirmation?" ...."It is a solemn declaration to tell the truth"..."I'll do that one."
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Return to “Druid Living”