Samhain gift exchange

This forum is for discussions of the various ways Druidry touches our daily lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Martina Silvercloud
OBOD Ovate

Samhain gift exchange

Postby Martina Silvercloud » 11 Sep 2013, 12:08

SECRET SAMHUIN GIFT EXCHANGE

The gift exchange tradition revival.

As we have already announced earlier this year we would like to have a new start on the gift exchange. Unlike in other years we chose Samhuin this time and not Yule, because a lot of people are busy in the time before Yule and we thought it might be a nice change.

Below please find the timetable and the rules (which we were allowed to copy from Twyrchs Yuletide Gift Exchange, and we are really grateful we didn't have to write a completely new set of rules).

We hope a lot of people will join and have fun.

The organizers are: Cosmic Ash, Rem and Martina Silvercloud

Timetable:
Deadline for request to participate: 27th of September
Drawing of partners and informing participants: 29th of September
Deadline for the sending of the gifts: 20th of October
Sending out the gifts: 27th of October
Release of the list of partners: 3rd of November

SECRET SAMHUIN GIFT EXCHANGE GUIDELINES

SIGNUPS: The Secret Samhuin Gift Exchange is open to everyone, which means you don’t have to be an OBOD member to participate in the exchange. To sign up, simply send me (Martina Silvercloud) a PM requesting to take part, and PLEASE include an e-mail address you can be contacted at and I will add your name to the signup sheet. Many gifts can't be sent via PM, so it is best to send them via e-mail... don't worry, we (the organizers) don't sell e-mail addresses, share them with anyone else or send you SPAM or other unwanted forwards.
We then will divide all participants in three groups. We will let you know whom to send your gift to – and this person will forward it to the receiver.

PARTNERS: Once signups have completed, we will notify each person, via e-mail, letting you know with whom you have been paired. Remember, this is supposed to be a secret so please do not reveal your identity to your secret partner, as that will spoil the nature of the exchange.

GIFT CREATION: Some gifts ideas could be a poem, a picture, a story, a ritual, a recipe - anything which you feel the other person might enjoy receiving. This shouldn't be a contest or competition... It truly is the thought that counts here. Even a simple note of encouragement and blessing or a sincere compliment is a gift in and of itself.

GIFT SUBMISSION: Once your gift is created, please pass it along via e-mail to the organizers you have been appointed to. We will hold them all until October 27th, when we will distribute them to all participants at the same time. Please be sure to remind us who the gift is for, so it will be easier to submit them to the proper recipient.

THE REVEAL:
On November 3rd, we will publish a list of everyone’s secret partner, so you can thank them personally.

BE TIMELY: There’s nothing worse than the feeling that you’ve been forgotten, overlooked or aren’t important, so please be sure to get your gift in on time so that everyone can have a joyful and festive Samhuin celebration.

HAVE FUN: This is a great opportunity to get to know a fellow forum member a little bit better and share some joy and happiness with each other. The goal is for everyone to feel welcome, loved and blessed this Samhuin season and to pass that feeling along to others. By signing up, you are choosing to share a part of yourself with someone you may or may not know, so enjoy the experience!

QUESTIONS: If you have any questions, please contact me via PM or e-mail and I will be glad to answer your questions. I don't get online as much as I used to, so please be patient. I’d hate for a question to not get answered because I didn’t log in regularly.

SECRET SAMHUIN GIFT EXCHANGE FAQ
Q) Will these gifts be made public? What if my creation is something deeply private or personal for my secret partner?
A) At the end of the exchange, once the partners have been revealed, participants will have an opportunity to thank their secret partner publicly or privately. Sharing the gift you’ve been given will be a personal matter left up to individual choice.

Q) What if I know this person outside of the forum and would like to hand-deliver it to them?
A) If you know someone outside of the forum and choose to hand-deliver the gift to them, please let me know so I can mark you down as having completed your exchange. However, please remember that no money should be spent in making these gifts. It’s not about the size or cost of the gift, but the thought behind it.

Q) I don’t have any talent to speak of: I can’t draw a stick figure, I’m not creative, I can’t rhyme, I can’t cook and I can never get my rituals right. What do I have to offer? I don’t want someone to hate my gift, but I’d love to be a part of the exchange. What can I do?
A) We understand that not everyone has found their creative spark, but again, this exchange is about the thought behind the gift, not the gift itself. Perhaps you have a blessing, or ritual, or poem, or story, or picture or something else which touches you deeply and means a great deal to you. Feel free to pass this along with a word of encouragement to your partner. Sometimes, it only takes a small smile to light up a large room.

Q) Why is the signup period so long? What if I forget I’ve signed up?
A) The signup period will last two weeks because not everyone logs into the forum on a daily basis and we want to make sure everyone has an opportunity to participate, who would like to do so. Once the signups have completed, I will contact everyone to let you know with whom you’ve been paired, and I will send reminders as the deadline grows closer, to ensure everyone receives a gift at the same time.

Q) Do we have to wait until the 20th of October to submit our gift? I’d love to participate, but I plan to be traveling during that time and I won’t have access to the internet to send the gift until after the exchange is over.
A) No, you don’t have to wait until the 20th to turn in your gift. You will have a couple of weeks to create and submit your gift to me and I will distribute them at the proper time.

Q) How are the partners paired up? Do you choose someone for each person or can we list preferences of who we’d like to give a gift to?
A) Everyone will be paired up randomly through calculations made in an Excel worksheet. You will not get to choose who you will be paired with, after all, part of the fun of this is learning more about other people on the forum.

Q) Does your gift have to have a Samhuin theme or can it be about anything?
A) No, your gift doesn’t have to have a Samhuin theme, or any theme for that matter. Your gift should be a reflection of your partner’s personality, tastes or interests. After all, that is part of the process in learning about your partner and all part of the nature of this exchange.

Q) Could I ask someone else to create a gift for me to give to my secret partner…? If so, how would I go about doing that?
A) There is no restriction on how you come about acquiring your gift as long as it’s legal and doesn’t cost any money. The choice of asking someone for help will be left to your discretion and that person’s willingness to assist you. For instance, if you want to give a poem to your secret partner and know someone on the forum or outside the forum who is skilled in that area, it will be up to you to contact that individual and acquire their services, but please, do not pay someone to create the gift for you… again, money should not be a factor in the quality of the gift given.

A special Thanks to Twyrch who has agreed that we pick up this idea - and use his text....
-------------------------
formerly known as "matodemi"

Image Image

Martina Silvercloud
OBOD Ovate

Re: Samhain gift exchange

Postby Martina Silvercloud » 21 Sep 2013, 14:58

Another week to go before the deadline ends :)

Everyone is welcome to take part, and from previous experineces I can tell you it is a lot of fun....

Blessings

Martina

Image Image

Cosmic Ash
OBOD Druid

Postby Cosmic Ash » 25 Sep 2013, 08:32

There's still time to join in the fun!

Martina Silvercloud
OBOD Ovate

Postby Martina Silvercloud » 28 Sep 2013, 20:28

Expired deadline:

If you want to join, pls let me know until tomorrow 6 pm in Germany (GMT + 2)
This leaves me enough time to get things organized....

Blessings

Martina Silvercloud

Image Image

Martina Silvercloud
OBOD Ovate

Re: Samhain gift exchange - tada

Postby Martina Silvercloud » 03 Nov 2013, 15:48

Dear friends,

as promised today I unveil the secrets about the gifts :grin:

on the left is the receiver - on the right the giver, so you do have a chance to thank them personally.

I hope you enjoyed the action and liked the gifts you received (those I saw where really great).

I have enjoyed to organize it and hope next year we will do it again - perhaps with more participants...

Blessings

Martina

ShadowCat received the gift from Cosmic Ash
Reuils received the gift from Rem
SpiritFox received the gift from Reuils
Cercatore received the gift from Kermailune
Kermailune received the gift from SpiritFox
Cosmic Ash received the gift from Cercatore
Rem received the gift from ShadowCat

Image Image

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 10 Dec 2013, 18:46

I totally missed this last post Martina... :oops:
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

Golden Harps are like cookies, you can never have just one
Sacred spaces and places

Martina Silvercloud
OBOD Ovate

Postby Martina Silvercloud » 27 Dec 2013, 09:57

never mind ShadowCat...

I hope everyone had a nice time with Samhuin some time ago now, the Solstice/Yule/Christmas being just over and the "twelve nights" going on now.

Blessings to all of you

Martina

Image Image

Return to “Druid Living”