adoption

A forum for Druid parents to discuss child-rearing issues and exchange ideas
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
gabrielapaoletti

adoption

Postby gabrielapaoletti » 30 Sep 2012, 22:38

Hi, I'm from argentina. I would like to know what do druids think about adopting a child.

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Re: adoption

Postby Lily » 01 Oct 2012, 20:17

surely as many things as there are druids, what do you think about it?
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 01 Oct 2012, 20:30

I think bringing a child into your home who otherwise wouldn't have one, offering it love and family is perhaps one of the greatest gifts you can give.

gabrielapaoletti

Postby gabrielapaoletti » 01 Oct 2012, 20:34

I'm 48 years old and I have no children. In the last months while working with the ovate course I have come to realize that the one thing I regret in my life is not having children. W ould it be selfish on my part adop t ing a small child? I always thought it was something good ever since a friend of mine told he was adopted with pride and happiness in his eyes. H e said his par e nts had chosen him. That was 40years ago. I habve to rrach a descion on this so I' m asking for as much input as possible

ideagirl
OBOD Bard

Postby ideagirl » 02 Oct 2012, 17:40

What makes you think that it might be selfish?

gabrielapaoletti

Postby gabrielapaoletti » 02 Oct 2012, 20:16

I' d like to adopt a very small child. I Have been told that adopting an older one would be better, but I really don' t think I could deal with the emotional problems these children usually have. I would be a single mom, learning to be a mom along with my child. I know I can give my child plenty of love and economic security but I can' t give him or her a traditional family.

ideagirl
OBOD Bard

Postby ideagirl » 02 Oct 2012, 21:44

I' d like to adopt a very small child. I Have been told that adopting an older one would be better, but I really don' t think I could deal with the emotional problems these children usually have. I would be a single mom, learning to be a mom along with my child. I know I can give my child plenty of love and economic security but I can' t give him or her a traditional family.
I just don't see how it is selfish to give a baby or little toddler a home. It's not.

True, it might theoretically be MORE selfless to give a home to an older child, who as you say is likely to be disturbed or unhealthy... but that does not mean it is "selfish" to give a home to a baby or very young child!

Also, children who have been abused or abandoned (which is usually the case for older children available for adoption) don't just need a home, they need a parent or parents who has the knowledge, ability and financial means to give them the special treatment, including psychological treatment, that they need. If you don't have that knowledge, those abilities and those means, it would NOT be a good idea for you to adopt such a child.

Turtle
Location: Here and there and everywhere - fancy coming along?

Postby Turtle » 02 Oct 2012, 21:52

As I am half of a same sex couple, I adopted my partner's child in order that she would have two 'official' parents/guardians. The idea was of course that if something ever happens to my partner there's no question as to whom is going to raise the child from then on.

Another same sex couple on our block fosters two handicapped children over (irregular) weekends so as to unburden the parents. They are really nice children, brother and sister both with Downs syndrom, but that way their parents get to have some time to themselves. So I guess I am trying to say if the object is helping children and perhaps their parents too, there are perhaps more options than you now imagine that will allow you to grow into childrearing.

Els

Tynan Elder Oak
OBOD Druid

Postby Tynan Elder Oak » 03 Oct 2012, 18:40

My dearest friend.... whatever you do is always from love. If you offer any child a home you will be giving it a great gift and a great life! :hug:
You will do the right thing as always, and if there is a child out there for you the universe will expedite it as soon as you want to do it.

We will support you! :cloud9: See you soon.

gabrielapaoletti

Postby gabrielapaoletti » 06 Oct 2012, 13:51

Yesterday I went to a court to start the paperwork to adopt, it is a messy and long process. Thank typu for your input.

ideagirl
OBOD Bard

Postby ideagirl » 06 Oct 2012, 19:47

Yesterday I went to a court to start the paperwork to adopt, it is a messy and long process. Thank typu for your input.
Yay! Best of luck in finding a child to love.

Return to “Druid Parenting”