Beltaine Story Time ! ?

A forum for Druid parents to discuss child-rearing issues and exchange ideas
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Ruthie

Beltaine Story Time ! ?

Post by Ruthie » 11 Apr 2015, 10:02

Hi Everybody! My son is 4, and although we practice Druidry in our everyday lives, I also reinterpret some of the old stories to use at bedtime, especially for the Holidays. As it is coming up to Beltaine, I've been trying to think of ways to modify the story of Bloudeuwedd so there's more of a happy ending, or find some story explaining the origins of the maypole. It doesn't need to be a purely Celtic story, at the vernal equinox, we had Queen Ishtar walking down the mountain to bring spring in her footsteps and saving the little frozen bird by magically zapping it into a bunny who laid eggs, etc.
Any and all thoughts and ideas welcome. I'm asking here because I don't have time to read lots of books or conduct an exhaustive internet search, so I'm admitting to trying to use you-all as a short cut.
Thanks in advance!

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Re: Beltaine Story Time ! ?

Post by Heddwen » 11 Apr 2015, 11:38

Hi Ruthie :shake:

How about an even shorter cut? My Mum purchased this book from a local shop for me a few years ago. I absolutely love it because the illustrations are fab and it tells the stories of the mabinogion in an easy to understand format. Imagine my surprise when I found out that the illustrator lives down the road in the next village to me! The Mabinogian can be quite a heavy read so this version has been perfect for me, so that I can understand the stories before moving up to the original version.

Another thought, try some storytelling events. I hope that you have something local to you. I really like what you've done with your version of the tales. I think that it makes things much more personal.

Anyway, here's the book...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tales-Mabinogio ... mabinogion

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Post by DaRC » 13 Apr 2015, 13:14

How about a simplified version of Gawain and the Green Knight?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Gawain ... een_Knight
I would suggest a simplified version of Cymbeline (latinized version of Cunobelinus = meaning hound of Beli)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymbeline
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Ruthie

Post by Ruthie » 13 Apr 2015, 15:49

Thanks guys! I tried to modify Blodeuwedd so there was less adultery and murder, and didn't get very far.
Here is how it went (M=mommy, D=Deaglán {son})
M: once upon a time, there was a mighty Prince named Llew, but he was very grumpy
D: He shouldn't be grumpy, he needs to be happy
M: Well, he was grumpy anyway, and grumpy all the time, about everything. So nobody wanted to be his friend.
D: I can be his friend
M: no, he's too grumpy, he'll grump on you, and then you'll be sad. Anyway, nobody wanted to be his friend, but he wanted to have a wife.
D: if I could be his friend, he could be happy
M: that's as may-be, but *anyway* Llew asked his two magicians to make a woman for him to be his wife.
D: he should have more friends so he's not grumpy
M: *soooooo* Math and Gwydion, the two magicians made a woman out of flowers and called her Blodeuwedd, which means 'flower-face'.
D: flower-face.
M: yes, that's it. And the magicians told her she had to marry Llew, and be his wife and stay with him forever. But she didn't want to be with him, because he was too grumpy. So she ran away. And to cover -
D: I can be Llew's friend, so he won't be grumpy. He can't grump me, I'm happy all the time. I will be his friend so he can be happy
M: and to cover her trail, all the trees grew green leaves, so Llew -
D: I don't want Llew to be grumpy anymore. I can be his friend, and we can have playdates on the playground, so he won't be grumpy *any* *more*
------
It seems that Llew is not allowed to be grumpy in this story. Im not going to try sad, or tired, or mean. I'll try some of your other suggestions. I'm 100% certain D will insert his sparkling personality into the story somehow and solve the problem before it becomes a problem.

Return to “Druid Parenting”