Ogham and Tarot

Subforum for the study of the Ogham
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Lily
OBOD Ovate

Ogham and Tarot

Postby Lily » 16 Jun 2011, 21:30

I'm trying to learn both at the same time (stupid idea probably) - I had the Idea to align the oghams with some tarot cards, mostly major arcana, some minors.

I have some associations already, keeping them to myself to see what others come up with - takers?
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Re: Ogham and Tarot

Postby DaRC » 17 Jun 2011, 13:33

:duck: I tried with the Runes but it didn't work out.
Have you checked out the Druid Plant Oracle? This should help with the mapping of Ogham to Tarot.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Explorer
OBOD Druid

Postby Explorer » 17 Jun 2011, 18:22

I started to do that once also, but I came to the conclusion that it doesn't make too much sense.

The tarot usually describes a generic spiritual journey. And specific tarots (like DruidCraft) describe that spiritual journey from a specific context.
I just bought the stunningly beautiful WildWood Tarot, and that tarot projects the cards on the Wheel of the Year. It uses a very different order of cards than the classic tarot, but it also describes a spiritual journey. What you can learn from a tarot it is how life flows, how your life flows, how different spiritualities flow, how you can face certain aspects of life.

Ogham is something very different, like the runes. It doesn't describe a comprehensive spiritual journey, but are more like random bits and pieces of life.
But what is more interesting, is that they are alphabets, with meanings attached. You can investigate what it means to learn a new alphabet in a sort of ancient magical way. It is a remarkable process that can put you back in the mindset of our ancestors, and give you a fresh look at the magic of reading and writing that we take for granted.

Ofcourse, you can use all of it for divination purposes also. But that doesn't really do justice to what it can do, imho.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

ebhadh
OBOD Druid

Postby ebhadh » 29 Jun 2011, 13:55

I like what Nico says and agree that trying to make exact connections with Ogam and Tarot does not quite work out. I feel that the Tarot is a somewhat later development than Ogam, but there are some similarities between the Tarot Trumphs - major arcana - and the Ogam. The 4 main ogam groups can also be inferred to correspond to the classic 4 elements, like the 4 suits of the Tarot, and there is a progressive development from early to mature suggested by the trees of the ogam, ie birch is a very much a starter tree for the earliest foundation of forest development, and elder is late-on, in that it is found growing in places which have long been inhabited by people because it likes the extra soil nitrogens.

ebhadh :smgrove:
May the Long-Time Sun shine upon you; All Love surround you; the Pure-Light-Within guide you all the way on.

JohnPaulPatton

Postby JohnPaulPatton » 19 Jul 2011, 22:38

I'm trying to learn both at the same time (stupid idea probably) - I had the Idea to align the oghams with some tarot cards, mostly major arcana, some minors.

I have some associations already, keeping them to myself to see what others come up with - takers?
I think like any correspondence such needs to be taken as 'poetic harmony' rather than any kind of rigid or dogmatic approach. I have made my own series of correspondences based on a study of the Kabbalah and the esoteric nature of the Hebrew letters and paths of the Tarot. I have published these in my book 'The Poet's Ogam' as part of a general study of the Ogam (ogham).

JP

ebhadh
OBOD Druid

Postby ebhadh » 24 Jul 2011, 11:27

Thanks for the link, JP, I am interested to learn more - Ogam has become a fascination for me, too and I'm always interested to look at other ideas about it.

ebhadh :)
May the Long-Time Sun shine upon you; All Love surround you; the Pure-Light-Within guide you all the way on.

Return to “Ogham Study Group”