question about the trees

Subforum for the study of the Ogham
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
SerenityRedd
OBOD Bard

question about the trees

Postby SerenityRedd » 12 Feb 2014, 01:50

I'm just curious. I am buying seeds for Alban Eilir and I was going to go ahead and order seeds for the Ogham trees while I was ordering. Does it matter which type of tree it is, for example the Birch, does it matter which Birch or just whichever I prefer?

Wolf Dreamer
OBOD Druid

Re: question about the trees

Postby Wolf Dreamer » 12 Feb 2014, 03:05

Hi SerenityRedd,

It all depends on what you want. If you want the traditional Ogham trees, then yes it matters which species you pick. I have some of them written down somewhere if you need them. But if you want a tree that will grow where you live, you might need a different tree. Some Ogham trees won't grow where I live, such as the Yew, so I have to travel to spend time with one. Sometimes people create their own Ogham tree list based on where they live. I'm slowly working on developing a local tree list for my own Ogham set. I hope that helps!

Wolf Dreamer
:wolf:
"Follow your bliss. If you do follow your bliss you
put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while
waiting for you, and the life you ought to be living is the one you are living.
If you follow your bliss, doors will open that wouldn't have opened for anyone else."

- Joseph Campbell

SerenityRedd
OBOD Bard

Postby SerenityRedd » 12 Feb 2014, 03:43

Thanks! My Ogham book has the proper traditional names. I guess I'll have to do some research on it and see how many I can get that will grow here. The worst problem I have here is the water. My well water has sulfur in it and I live on a creek that is brackish water, so right now I'm having issues just trying to get herbs and my poor little weeping fig to grow. I think that can be fixed with a different soil mixture. I basically just want to get an outside grove started for when we get another house, then I will plant an actual real grove out in the yard surrounded by them. If I can't do all traditional then I'll just go with which ones I can get close enough.

Dathi
OBOD Ovate

Postby Dathi » 12 Feb 2014, 11:29

My 2c.

Druidry is all about being at one with the natural world. Ogham tree "lists" and correspondences are all constructs, no matter how ancient they may appear to be. I might suggest that it would be as (or more) authentic to develop your own framework on what is natural where you are.

Look at this for inspiration: http://www.druidry.org/library/trees/australian-ogham

Dathi
:owlhorn:
Seminar. September 2010: African Druids? Sangomas, Inyangas http://www.druidry.org/board/dhp/viewto ... =2&t=36777

2011 LI
Seminar. October 2012: Druids & Bushcraft viewtopic.php?f=326&t=41256

Wolf Dreamer
OBOD Druid

Postby Wolf Dreamer » 12 Feb 2014, 21:34

One idea would be to get to know what is already growing around you. See what is happy in your location and then go from there. I too am planning to have a house some day where I can plant a grove but I would also be happy to adopt a forest that is already established. I'd love to have a few acres where I can garden and have a grove. I have some Ash trees at my current house and I just love them. I've planted some other trees in whiskey barrels so I can take them with me. We have many dwarf trees in our yard including a cherry tree, a plum tree and four kinds of apple trees. They are small but great! Good luck with your trees and I hope you find some nice ones!

Wolf Dreamer
:wolf:
"Follow your bliss. If you do follow your bliss you
put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while
waiting for you, and the life you ought to be living is the one you are living.
If you follow your bliss, doors will open that wouldn't have opened for anyone else."

- Joseph Campbell

SerenityRedd
OBOD Bard

Postby SerenityRedd » 15 Feb 2014, 23:47

Thank you both! I think that is what I'm going to do. I was looking at them, and there are actually some really good local choices for the names of the trees here. And Dathi, that link helped a lot! So after I've done my homework and such I'll post up what I have come up with!

Return to “Ogham Study Group”