Good bye, Pickles

This subforum is reserved for posts honoring the memory of a person who has crossed over.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Good bye, Pickles

Post by Aphritha » 06 Oct 2015, 18:25

Pickles the cat passed away last night shortly before midnight. He'd had a long life(seventeen years) and had been slowing down; we'd known it was coming. Still, it doesn't make it any easier when it happens.
He went out the way he wanted. When I figured he'd be gone quickly, he held out all evening. His best friend(my 9 year old), had thrown a party in his honor. He was too weak to participate much, but you could see the joy in his eyes. He hadn't wanted to go, and though euthanasia had entered our minds, we could see he clearly did not want that. We respected his wishes. Instead, he waited until his buddy fell asleep, and shortly after, passed on.
Pickles enjoyed the old rug in the yard, drinking water out of the outdoor fountain, and begging for table scraps. He will miss most his dear friend LeeAnder and his fluffy friend Helen, but we are confidant he'll be back to see us, even if in a different form.

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Re: Good bye, Pickles

Post by ShadowCat » 06 Oct 2015, 19:37

Your words make me tear up...
Blessings for the little fur-angel and my condolences for you and your family.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

Golden Harps are like cookies, you can never have just one
Sacred spaces and places

Corvid

Post by Corvid » 06 Oct 2015, 20:33

My sincere condolences for your loss. Our pets are so important to us and bring us so much love and joy. Wishing you and your family peace during this difficult time.

Green Raven

Post by Green Raven » 06 Oct 2015, 21:07

My deepest sympathy to you and your family. The space left when a companion passes through the veil seems cold and empty. :hug: But cats… always half-in half-out of the Otherworld. He sees you while he sojourns there before moving to his next form. Remember to leave out a treat on Samhain.
“Listen, O little pig! are not the buds of thorns
Very green, the mountain beautiful, and beautiful the earth?”
- Myrddin Wyllt, Hoianau / Greetings (to a Pig)

Selene
OBOD Druid

Post by Selene » 07 Oct 2015, 00:00

I'm so sorry for your loss, Aphritha. :candle: for Pickles's journey to the Summerlands.
"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making a few more."

winterfire
OBOD Druid

Post by winterfire » 07 Oct 2015, 07:01

My sympathies with you and your family.
Blessings.x

mandybard
OBOD Ovate

Post by mandybard » 07 Oct 2015, 07:55

Journey well, Pickles :candle: :smgrove:
ImageImage :butterflies:

Love took up the glass of Time, and turn'd it in his glowing hands;
Every moment, lightly shaken, ran itself in golden sands.
Love took up the harp of Life, and smote on all the chords with might;
Smote the chord of Self, that, trembling, pass'd in music out of sight.
(from Locksley Hall by Alfred Lord Tennyson)

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Post by DaRC » 07 Oct 2015, 12:24

:x sorry to hear about poor Pickles, to have a good life in a family home is all a cat could wish for so he was and is blessed
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Weatherwax
OBOD Bard

Post by Weatherwax » 07 Oct 2015, 13:36

So sorry to hear about Pickles but at least he seems to have had a long and full life, which will be a source of relief to you all, I hope. And it sounds like he had a nice farewell, too. I've had pets for years and I still dread the day we will part and I know it's more than likely that I will be the one who survives. But sharing moments with them is worth so much and I hope we also make them as happy as they make us. I wish Pickles a good journey to wherever he's headed to and may you meet one day again. lots of love to you and your family.
“This is called the theory of narrative causality and it means that a story, once started, takes a shape. It picks up all the vibrations of all the other workings of that story that have ever been. This is why history keeps on repeating all the time.”
― Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Post by Heddwen » 07 Oct 2015, 18:39

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, Aprhritha. Its always sad to lose a good friend. I hope that you will be comforted by fond and happy memories of Pickles, which you must have in abundance.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Post by Aphritha » 07 Oct 2015, 21:05

Thank you for your concern, everyone. :hug:
Pickles had an interesting life. Though it was long, only two and a half years were with us. He was, in my mind, a recycled kitty. He had been an only cat in a house full(and I mean full) of dogs, rescued off the street as a kitten. He belonged to a childhood friend of mine and her sisters. They grew up. The days of dress up and tea parties halted, and Pickles was stuck with mom, who loved him, but got sick of changing cat boxes and really just didn't have time for one lone cat. When he was around 15, it was requested he live with our cat menagerie. We decided a 6th would be alright.
Because he had been kenneled so much due to his former home's work schedule, he was somewhat institutionalized when he came to us. We let him keep the giant kennel for some time, but eventually a giant cage in a pocket sized living room does not work out, and he was sore to discover that one day his old home had disappeared. He came around to embracing open space, but he never quite adjusted to being a 'cat'. He was too used to dogs. My only regret for him was that he waited until the last part of his life to let our other cat, Helen, in. While he couldn't stand our other cats, eventually they bonded over being the only two allowed outside, her for her dietary needs and him for his age and inability to jump the fence and torment the neighbors.
Pickles was quite stubborn and opinionated in his younger days with us, but he quickly took to LeeAnder. He pretended to object at first, but he soon succumbed to tea parties and dress up again, along with the occasional round of chess. He would actually leave his clothes on, and it was not unusual to see him lying around the house in a blue argyle sweater. Once a beloved cat to a group of little girls, he was now the proud friend to a little boy who didn't get along with other kids any better than he got along with other cats. He followed his friend around like a mother hen up until the day he couldn't move his legs anymore.
LeeAnder insists next time Pickles will come back as a girl. We're waiting to see.

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Post by Whitemane » 08 Oct 2015, 12:32

The worst thing about owning pets is that they leave too soon, and they break your heart when they go. :hug:

You salvaged a life and tried to heal his spirit, you are blessed for your actions and by his presence in your life.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Post by Sciethe » 09 Oct 2015, 22:24

Hi Aphritha,
I feel for you, but haven't had the heart to post until now as I lost Loki, my head rescue cat recently. They get under your skin, don't they?
Sciethe
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Post by ShadowCat » 10 Oct 2015, 07:00

Your description of your life with Pickles, and the bond between boy and cat, is magical. In your home, Pickles had the opportunity to be not just "the cat", but a cherished individual and personality, infused with the magic of LeeAnder's imagination.

And Sciethe, a big hug for you too :hug:
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

Golden Harps are like cookies, you can never have just one
Sacred spaces and places

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Post by Aphritha » 13 Oct 2015, 17:50

I'm sorry, Sciethe. :( They do indeed get under your skin...

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Post by Sciethe » 13 Oct 2015, 20:42

Thanks. What nice people. Worthy of a Pickles in your life :hug:
Sciethe
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

Return to “In Memoriam”