Ogham Studies - Quert (Apple)

Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Ogham Studies - Quert (Apple)

Post by Fitheach » 17 Sep 2006, 15:20

Apple Tree, Chalice Well Garden, Glastonbury

:quert: Please post your inspirations, experience, poetry, artwork, photography, etc. on the Apple!

Quert

The gentle, healing Apple,
From the Isle of Avalon.
The boughs, a healing chapel,
A place the dead can rest upon.

The garden’s fair and peaceful,
And the apple blossom’s white.
The drone of bees, a gentle lull
‘Til darkness steals their sight.

Then, Morgan stirs her apple brew,
A healing draught to drink.
And life begins to stir anew,
As death’s cold eyes begin to blink.

More on Apple:  

http://druidry.org/obod/trees/apple.html

x
Tha gliocas an ceann an fhitich
Image Image Image

Keriann

Post by Keriann » 10 Oct 2006, 19:09

According to 'Auraicept':

Word Ogham of Morann Mac Main here:
Clithar mbaiscaill, shelter of a hind, i.e., a fold: to wit, boscell, lunatic, that is bas-ceall, death sense, it is then his sense comes to him when he goes to his death. Clithar boscell, again, that is an apple tree: or boscell, that is, hinds, to wit, they are light. Clithar boiscell, again, i.e., lunatics or hinds: quert, an apple tree, q, with reference to its letter.

Alphabet of word-oghams of Mac ind Oic here below:
Brigh an duine, force of the man, queirt, q, apple tree. Hence for its cognate letter.

THIS IS SOW OGHAM: Accompanying litter of a white (i.e. milch-) sow blue

RIVER-POOL OGHAM:Cusrat

FORTRESS OGHAM:Corann

BIRD OGHAM:querc hen

COLOUR OGHAM: quiar mouse-coloured

CHURCH OGHAM:Kildare

MAN (HUMAN BEING) OGHAM: 5 Minna nobles (or women) or clerics for group

WOMAN OGHAM: 5 nuns

AGRICULTURAL OGHAM: cual faggot

WATER OGHAM: five weirs

DOG OGHAM: five greyhounds

OX OGHAM: five oxen

COW OGHAM: five strippers

SAINT OGHAM: Ciaran

ART OGHAM: fluting.
Image :oakleaves: :luis: :wolf:

'Nothing is forgotten...
Nothing is ever forgotten...'

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Post by Dryadia2 » 12 Apr 2007, 23:05

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city on earth - Steve McQueen

Alasdair
OBOD Ovate

Post by Alasdair » 01 May 2007, 15:30

I thought I'd share an experience I had with apple in meditation this morning.  

Quite honestly, I forgot it was Beltaine.  I think it was due to, in part, the fact that I woke up 1/2 way into my genetics final - which I failed nonetheless!  :-)

So, Apple was a bit of a "Hello!? Wake up!" to me.

Here it is.

When doing my breathing exercises, I suddenly saw a small shrub-like looking tree.  Somehow I knew it was an apple tree, but it was sitting on a small island.  Then, it began floating away, and it was on a Viking-style ship, just being carried away.  It appeared to be planted in the middle of the ship though, so it gave an interesting effect.  

Later, when I went to my grove, I found it there in my grove, sitting as the tree of life.  There is another part of my grove that my guide recently showed me - that he calls the "Solace" section , to go when I'm distressed. Well, I began to walk over there but then in the “solace” addition of my grove there was the same tiny apple tree.  It was just a tiny tree, maybe ten feet tall, but looked perfectly groomed.  
When I asked it what it was, It had the voice of a beautiful gentle woman.  It let me know that it was about new beginnings, as well as other things in my life.  It spoke of someone who would fall in love with me (Uh oh..).  I sort of stumbled there for a second, because I didn’t believe it, but I listened.  I said “so what can I do? I’ll be gone in three days.”  She said, “the only thing a person can do - love her  while you can.”

I then noticed a single apple on the tree (which appeared to be much too immature to fruit).  She told me to pluck it, and eat it, and that “everything you know, and will ever need to know will become apparent to you soon." (Note: I don't quite think It's to be taken literally.  I assume some part of my life will gain clarification soon though).  I ate it, and it tasted otherworldly - the only way to describe it.  I thanked the tree and parted.
To the mind that is Still -- The whole Universe Surrenders.

Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Post by Fitheach » 01 May 2007, 16:51

What a wonderful, magical experience!  Thank you for sharing this, especially on Beltaine!
Image Image Image

Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Post by Fitheach » 27 Aug 2007, 00:35

What does the Apple Tree bestow?
From the holy Isle of Avalon,
Listen to her silver belled bough.

She offers the fruit of healing,
And of seeing the Faerie Realms
She is the tree of Revealing.

Sleep beneath the Apple tree
In the orchard of Morgana,
A sacred place of deity.

Meditation:

You are walking down a dusty country lane, on a warm autumn afternoon.  On either side of you are farms and orchards, fenced off from the street you are traveling on. You note that the fields are often divided by low hedge trees of hawthorn, elder and blackthorn, and sometimes by rocky streams.  You realize you are hungry and thirsty, but wonder if you dare to climb over one of the wooden fences to satisfy your needs.

As dusk begins to lengthen the shadows, you note that you are passing an apple orchard.  The wooden fence breaks where two large apple trees grow near the road, their ancient boughs crossing in an almost Gothic arch, laden with large juicy apples, just out of reach.  You stop and look between the hoary trunks into the field of apple trees, and the urge to taste the fruit is irresistible.  You cross the grassy threshold and enter the field of apple trees.

There is a shift in your perceptions immediately, and you feel disoriented.  Where you had left a dusty road in the deepening twilight, now there is a diffused light, coming from the trees themselves.  You can see they bear both blossom and fruit.  The apples are like small glowing lamps – red, green and yellow.  The white blossoms shine like tiny stars.  Even the leaves seem to be giving off a pale green light.  The pale brown trunks are deeply etched, and the lines form into vaguely facial features, as if you could see the living spirit of the trees themselves.

A wind rises and blows through the trees, and you can hear rustling movement and the murmur of voices, sibilant and musical.

You notice leaves falling to the ground, still shining, and outlining a path leading deeper into the orchard.  You look back and note the two sentinel apple trees guarding the gateway, where the dark has finally fallen.  Taking courage that you can find your way back, you turn and walk deeper into the forest of glowing apples.  You can hear a brook in the distance, a comforting sound in this strange land.

From the road, the fields were not large, but once inside, the landscape seems vast, and the path between the trees meanders on.  There are many twists and turns, and the path doubles back on itself.  At last you realize, you are in a vast tree-lined labyrinth.

Curious, you pull a glowing apple from the lower boughs of a gnarly apple tree.  You are startled to see what looked like two dark slits in the bark suddenly open to form a deep pair of eyes, which gaze in contemplation of you.  You hurry on, and your hunger drives you to take a bite of the golden yellow apple.

It tastes incredible.  It is crisp and juicy, the sap running over your fingers, with a sharp taste, and sweet almost honey-like aftertaste.  It’s unforgettable flavor satisfies both your hunger and thirst.  You feel a raw sense of vitality, and your senses grow keener.  Listening to the brook, the wind through the leaves, you can now hear a high tinkling sound - - bells.

Two rustic, brooding apple trees form another leafy arch at the end of the path, and you pass through into a grove, a small, grassy circular glade, bounded by the trees.  Looking up, you can see a full moon shining down, and looking toward the center of the glade, you see it’s twin in the ground.  Then you realize you are looking at a shining pool of water reflecting the moonlight.

The pool is bounded by colored stones – pale blue, serpentine green, rosy agate.  One stone is large and gently curved, like a chair.  You crawl onto this stone and peer into the pool.  At first you are dazzled by the moonlight, but then you begin to see visions, and realize that this is a Seer’s Pool.

Look now, deep into that pool, and let the lights guide you.  What do you see?  What do you hear?  What do you feel?

(pause for five mintues)

Now the light from the moon and its reflection begin to merge into a pillar of light.  The pillar becomes a trunk, and forms a giant tree just beyond the stones of the pool.  You watch in amazement at this shining tree.  This tree has expanded above you to fill the sky above, the universe.  Within it’s boughs hangs the brilliant moon and sparkling stars among the illuminated apples, leaves and blossoms.

A wind blows through, and you hear the sound of bells.  The tree moves a bough and it transforms into a long white arm and delicate hand holding a bough laced with tiny silver bells.   The hand shakes the bough again, and the air is filled with faerie music.

Another bough moves, and as it does, becomes another shining white arm and hand, which reaches down and touches you in the middle of your forehead.

“I am Avallach, the Goddess of the Apple Grove.”  A deep yet feminine voice tells you.  Within her gleaming bark you can discern an incredible, ageless face of beauty  “My gifts are both seeing and healing.”  Yet another white hand extends toward you, this time bearing a silver goblet.  You take the goblet and drink – it is a potion of bittersweet apple juice.  “Whenever you have need of my magic, walk between two apple trees, and Avalon will be there.”  And with that, she fades back into a pillar of light, and slowly fades, and you realize that it is time to return to your world.  

The lighted path moves you quickly through the maze and the two ancient hoary apples appear before you.  You cross the liminal threshold and find that rather than the dusty path, you are home.
Image Image Image

Serpentia
OBOD Ovate

Re: Ogham Studies - Quert (Apple)

Post by Serpentia » 28 Dec 2010, 13:12

Apple trees are found all over Germany, of course, but here in the region where I live (the middle of "Hesse") they are particularly popular for making wine - apple wine, which is nothing like Cider ( I like Cider...). It has an alcohol content of 5.5%–7% and a tart, sour taste, which is why it is often mixed with other liquids, alcoholic or non. It is quite nice to use in cooking, though, or even baking (Applewine Tiramisu is divine...)

Apfelwein is often made with the addition of the unprocessed juice from the fruit of a small, indigenous tree known as Speierling (Sorbus domestica), an endangered species that is easily confused with the wild apple. Although it is difficult for the non-initiate to detect any difference in the end product, for many Hessians this rare supplement contributes much to the lore and mystique of the beverage.

Hot Apfelwein is commonly taken as an old household remedy against colds, or as a warming beverage in the cold season. The Apfelwein is heated (not boiled!) and served with a cinnamon stick, possibly with cloves and/or a slice of lemon.

Apfelwein has become popular in the homebrewing community recently because of its relative ease of production and pleasant taste. The recipe typically involves 5 gallons of apple juice with dextrose added to increase alcohol content, then fermented for one month using wine yeast such as Montrachet. The most common version results in an 8.5% abv beverage.

Serpentia
adding to the pool of knowledge with some very local coleur...
Facilitator of www.druidryonline.de, the NEW German Druid Community on the web

Huathe

Post by Huathe » 28 Dec 2010, 17:52

Apples are a big cash crop here in Hendersonville NC. Here are a couple of pictures I took near my old homeplace. In the spring the air smells of apple blossoms on years that they bloom profusely.
Attachments
Dana_Apple_4.jpg
Dana_Apple_4.jpg (128.07 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
Dana_Apple_10.jpg
Dana_Apple_10.jpg (86.23 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
James E Parton
Bardic Course Graduate - Ovate Student
New Order of Druids

" We all cry tears, we all bleed red "_Ronnie Dunn

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/
http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
http://www.burningman.com/

Serpentia
OBOD Ovate

Post by Serpentia » 29 Dec 2010, 09:16

Beautiful pictures, James, thank you, they are precious. Seems I forgot to mention that I have an apple tree growing in my small garden.. I really should pay more attention to what is right in front of me!!!

Serpentia
Facilitator of www.druidryonline.de, the NEW German Druid Community on the web

Huathe

Post by Huathe » 29 Dec 2010, 18:45

Serpentia,

Dana, a small community outside of Hendersonville is absolutely beautiful when all the apple trees bloom in the spring. Along with other spring blooming trees like Bradford Pear, Crabapple, Cherry, Hawthorn and Dogwood it was a sight to see!

At the time I took these photos, a date had stood me up and I made the best of the time I had by riding around taking pictures of the flowering trees.
James E Parton
New Order of Druids

MiriamSPia

Post by MiriamSPia » 08 Jan 2011, 22:08

My main difficulty here is 'which type of apple tree?'. Locally, in Dorverden, there are only a small number of apple trees and I am not sure whether or not they are all the same kind. Where I grew up is 'apple country': green apples, granny smiths, macintosh, red delicious, green/yellow delicious, then are also 'thorn apples' and some kind of small wild apple trees...I heard there is some type which is psychadelic or something - that George Washington let some of his military troops eat some of these wild apples and they went temporarily batty. Which kind are those again? They are easy to recognize when bearing fruit, but I am pretty sure I am able to recognize them by their scent.

Next question: how do we use the keyboards to generate the ogham symbols? If you know where I can get them, please let me know.

Huathe

Post by Huathe » 09 Jan 2011, 02:17

Miriam,

All the domestic apples are scientifically known as Malus Domestica, collectively known as " Orchard Apples ". These comprise all the varieties of apples commercially produced. The primary ancestor of Malus Domestica is Malus Sieversii, found in central Asia. There is also genetic evidence of Malus Sylvestris ( European Wild Apple ) and Malus Baccata ( Siberian Crabapple ) in the Malus Domestica genome. Malus Sieversii is sometimes also known as Malus Orientalis.

The Malus group also comprises the crabapples. They tend to have small tart to bitter tasting fruit and some varieties do have thorns. Many flowering varieties have been developed. Though in a different group ( Crataegus ) the Hawthorn is a closely related tree to the Malus group. Most, but not all hawthorns have thorns. Hawthorn fruit as a general rule has a longer stem than crabapples and the " Haw Apples " or haws have a flatter more mealy taste.

The pear is also closely related to the Malus group and belongs to the Pyrus group of trees. The Quince ( Cydonia Oblonga ) is also related to the apple and pears. All the above trees are in the Rosacea ( Rose ) family.

:huathe: H.E.
James E Parton
New Order of Druids

merryb
OBOD Ovate

Post by merryb » 09 Jan 2011, 09:41

Hi

I feel a strong link to this tree, I sometimes journey in meditation to
Glastonbury and see myself standing beside this tree on the tor and feel a deep sense of peace. Stangely I have never drawn Quert from the Ogam Oracle.

I am waiting delivery of a crab apple tree for my allotment. I am realing looking forward to planting it seeing it flowers and watching the apples grow until they are bright red in December. I am going to make crab apple jelly. It will also provide food for the birds, mamals and inscets during the winter. It should have been sent in November but the icy weather in the uk preventing it from being dug up and sent out.

Last year I planted a quince and was amazed at how beautiful the flowers were and how the tree grew four sunshine yellow pear shaped fruits.

Next year I hope to plant a Hawthorn. I did not know it was related to the apple tree.

With blessing
Merryb

Return to “The Ogham Library”